13-01-09 Hypocrite

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

SAGG

Re: 13-01-09 Hypocrite

Post by SAGG »

karpeth wrote:Zii left. She's dreaming of scary stuff though, right?
Seems like it. The way Zii's face looks is a dead giveaway. She appears to have a pained expression...

Hobbamock

Post by Hobbamock »

I am assuming that next will be Zii's perspective.
And it will be much darker and disturbing than Gary and Didi could possibly ever be.

guppy06

Post by guppy06 »

Y'know, considering her Frenglish, DiDi dreams in pretty good English. Or would it have been too suspicious to have "Zii" talk like she does? :P

Or is DiDi faking the accent? Conspiracy theories, go!

Hobbamock

Post by Hobbamock »

Mythiene wrote:... I wish I had dreams this coherent.

My last one had a flying refrigerator and the main antagonists were turtles (unfortunately not of the teenage mutant ninja variety). The entire dream was full of swirling black mist and the only thing vaguely resembling a wall was a swirling psychedelic orange-and-blue background.

And don't get me started on the weird ones. :p

KIDS!!! Don't do drugs, or this is what you get to look forward to.

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

Mythiene wrote:... I wish I had dreams this coherent.

My last one had a flying refrigerator and the main antagonists were turtles (unfortunately not of the teenage mutant ninja variety). The entire dream was full of swirling black mist and the only thing vaguely resembling a wall was a swirling psychedelic orange-and-blue background.

And don't get me started on the weird ones. :p

(However, I will consider the issue resolved if we see Zii's nightmare and it's anything like mine are. I just have a hard time believing that Gary's and DiDi's dreams could make this much sense!)
Flying refrigerator? Sounds like a scene from Stephen King’s book The Tommyknockers. Although that might have been a flying Coke machine. It’s been a long time since I read it. :-?
I think outside the tesseract.

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Well... that was fairly disturbing. Even after tentacoo waep. I wonder how she'll get back to sleep. Will she snuggle back up to Gary or not be able to because the dream left her feeling guilty, and have to head back to her own room.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

Surprising, fascinating, and disturbing. This was close to a classic Freudian nightmare.

This is the first time we've ever really gotten inside DiDi's head, and its clear that our sweet Amazon is a lot more complex than she looks. She's got some real deep conflicts. Part of her seems to be very open and sensuous; she clearly enjoys both being nude and having sex. Yet part of her is unhappy about this, too. She's a decent, nice person, and she seems to have trouble reconciling her decency and her sexuality. She might be the kind of person who can only have sex if it's depersonalized, hence her tendency even to forget the names of the guys she sleeps with. Zii's face (which is really evil here) is the voice of DiDi's bad conscience.

The fact that she sees Zii's face, and not her own, is very significant. On one level, DiDi probably wants to be as openly sexual and at ease as Zii is; but Zii's freedom also disturbs DiDi and threatens her, since it goes right down to her own desires and repressions. I wonder, too, if seeing Zii's face here doesn't also mean: "Hey, girl, what are you doing checking out a GUY when you've been letting me sit in your lap and feel you up? Play innocent if you want, hypocrite, but we both know what that female bonding REALLY means."

Some people have speculated that DiDi is really a seductive schemer. Now it seems that it's much more complicated than that. She seems to be seductive unconsciously or at best half-consciously; she wants to come on to people, but she doesn't want to admit that she's doing that, even to herself. DiDi is fast becoming the most interesting of these characters, and the most Freudian too.

This strip was a significant step forward in the development of the story and the characters, and I look forward to more along the same lines, too. At times, this strip is in serious danger of turning into a one-note sex gag, and I am glad to see that the authors are willing to take it somewhere else as well.

DiDi is going back to sleep in her own bed tonight, safe and secure from all the temptations of both sexes.

Pfhreak

Post by Pfhreak »

You know, it occurs to me that the segment with putting Gary to bed ended with his pants only pulled down enough for Zii to grope his bare cheeks. It's entirely possible that the first part of the dream was a memory: Zii tried again to peek by rolling him over once his pants were off, DiDi stopped her, Zii stomped off in a huff, and DiDi snuck a peak, and that's why she wasn't ready until the movie was almost over. Now, she's having guilty dreams about it.
Last edited by Pfhreak on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wall of separation between church and state is a good start, but let's put in a minefield, too.

yudantaiteki

Post by yudantaiteki »

Pfhreak wrote:You know, it occurs to me that the segment with putting Gary to bed ended with his parts only pulled down enough for Zii to grope his bare cheeks. It's entirely possible that the first part of the dream was a memory:
I had actually wondered about that myself. Note that the panels are normal and not the cloudy-type panels that were used for Gary's dream (and his smurfette dream from earlier).

karpeth
BANNED

Post by karpeth »

yudantaiteki wrote:
Pfhreak wrote:You know, it occurs to me that the segment with putting Gary to bed ended with his parts only pulled down enough for Zii to grope his bare cheeks. It's entirely possible that the first part of the dream was a memory:
I had actually wondered about that myself. Note that the panels are normal and not the cloudy-type panels that were used for Gary's dream (and his smurfette dream from earlier).
That struck me, as well... It may be a recollection in her sleep, with the only change beeing a moraly inserted head...
*divides 1 with 0*
First ever member to be banned. Something to be proud of? no.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

guppy06 wrote:Y'know, considering her Frenglish, DiDi dreams in pretty good English. Or would it have been too suspicious to have "Zii" talk like she does? :P

Or is DiDi faking the accent? Conspiracy theories, go!
While I sometimes suspect that DiDi is putting it on, the reason why Zii is talking like she normally does, is because Zii actually said those words. DiDi is having one of those dreams that start out as a replay of a memory.

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

David Johnston wrote:While I sometimes suspect that DiDi is putting it on, the reason why Zii is talking like she normally does, is because Zii actually said those words. DiDi is having one of those dreams that start out as a replay of a memory.
I don't think Zii said it, actually; I think DiDi's conscience/guilt said it. Bilingual people can dream in one language or another, or a mixture of both, just as they use both in their waking lives. I believe that the French for "hypocrite" is also pretty close to the English word. (Am I right, Giz?).

I also think that while the first panel of this strip may be a real memory, I'm not certain that the others are. In any case, whether DiDi peeked at Gary or not, it's what she WANTED to do, and that is quite enough to make her uneasy and guilty.

OK, Dave, Giz...could you settle this one for us, please?
Last edited by Ray D on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Zero1

Post by Dave Zero1 »

Ray D wrote:
David Johnston wrote:While I sometimes suspect that DiDi is putting it on, the reason why Zii is talking like she normally does, is because Zii actually said those words. DiDi is having one of those dreams that start out as a replay of a memory.
I don't thing Zii said it, actually; I think DiDi's conscience/guilt said it. Bilingual people can dream in one language or another, or a mixture of both, just as they use both in their waking lives. I believe that the French for "hypocrite" is also pretty close to the English word. (Am I right, Giz?).

I also think that while the first panel of this strip may be a real memory, I'm not certain that the others are. In any case, whether DiDi peeked at Gary or not, it's what she WANTED to do, and that is quite enough to make her uneasy and guilty.

OK, Dave, Giz...could you settle this one for us, please?
We debated having Zii speak in french, if DiDi's subconscious would make any dream or memory translated to her mother tongue. Ultimatly we realised that the freakout of the Crotch Zii was greater if the strip started out normal like.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Ray D wrote:I don't thing Zii said it, actually; I think DiDi's conscience/guilt said it. Bilingual people can dream in one language or another, or a mixture of both, just as they use both in their waking lives. I believe that the French for "hypocrite" is also pretty close to the English word. (Am I right, Giz?).
Hypocrite is written the same in French and has the same meaning. When I read the strip, I read it in French but then again, I'm French-Canadian.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Tenjen wrote:Didi knows HYPOCRITS GO TO HYPOCRIT HELL.
Shouldn't that be HYPOCRIT HLL?

Since you're forgetting e's.

:D
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.