06-01-09 Un monstre!

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

MrBishop

Re: 06-01-09 Un monstre!

Post by MrBishop »

Bear wrote:Great comic as always! First for the critique though.... Remember people, Giz is a French Canadian who uses French as her first language, we can excuse her a few typos. The first one 'D'you here' does need to be changed to hear.
d'ya here is Zii's line, non?
Midnight's Lair: RPG talk: http://midnightslair.com/forum/
Playing it loud: Musical conversation: http://www.playingitloud.com

Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Bear wrote:Great comic as always! First for the critique though.... Remember people, Giz is a French Canadian who uses French as her first language, we can excuse her a few typos. The first one 'D'you here' does need to be changed to hear. The second one can be left as I could see Zii trying to say 'You're crushing me' as in you are, though I agree that your does make more sense if we're to assume her line wasn't cut short and its a continuation to the 'breasts are in my...'
Totally valid point. That's just how I read the second one anyway. *bows in deference to the ursine wisdom of Bear*

I don't tend to critique; it's just that Ma3 is actually more consistently correct that a number of other comics I read, so a mistake of any kind surprised me enough to comment on it. (I won't go into the number of spelling correction rules there are in WordOwl's filters. Hint: it's more than 100)

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Arantor wrote:This is also the first strip I can remember to have a typo - panel 1 should be Zii saying, "Uh, d'you hear that?" instead of "Uh, d'you here that?" and panel 2 should be "Your...mmph... breasts are in my..." instead of "You're...mmph... breasts are in my..."

But otherwise, an excellent strip all round. I was expecting Gary to wake up and have something happen; perhaps he'd turned off the lights to scare them for some reason...
Thank you, Arantor. It's fixed! :)

Hobbamock

Post by Hobbamock »

Lights are out...
A possible monster at the door...
Time for Zii to be "grabby-grabby"
At least I would be.
The missed opportunities in life are the ones we think about forever.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

Arantor wrote:This is also the first strip I can remember to have a typo - panel 1 should be Zii saying, "Uh, d'you hear that?" instead of "Uh, d'you here that?" and panel 2 should be "Your...mmph... breasts are in my..." instead of "You're...mmph... breasts are in my..."

But otherwise, an excellent strip all round. I was expecting Gary to wake up and have something happen; perhaps he'd turned off the lights to scare them for some reason...
Be nice to Giselle. English isn't her first language.

O:-)
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

ThisUserNameSucks

Post by ThisUserNameSucks »

HA! I CALLED IT!

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

Ray D wrote:Tres amusante. And the cat is full of win.

"Come here. I will protect you."
LOL. I love how DiDi thinks of our punkette perv as some fragile little girl who needs guarding and mothering.
Of course compared to Didi everyone is fragile and little.

Arantor

Post by Arantor »

Giz wrote:Thank you, Arantor. It's fixed! :)
Thanks for changing it, Giz, you're a star! :D I'm just updating it in WordOwl now.
brnleague99 wrote:Be nice to Giselle. English isn't her first language.
I did acknowledge that maybe I had been over-critical, but I still maintain that out of the thousands of strips I've read, Ma3 is consistently more accurate in use of English than just about any of the others, which is why it surprised me.

(In one comic I can name, the regular forumites gave up pointing out the typos, unless they're really obvious, or funny. As a result, one guy on the relevant forum that likes messing with Photoshop, got a random picture of a guy getting handcuffed, 'shopped the artist's face over the suspect, and changed the policeman's badge to read "Grammar Police")

I did start to rant about people for whom English should be their first language but their command of it is sadly lacking, but I'll leave it for another day. I will say that many of the people I know for whom English is a second language actually use it more correctly than many of the 'native' speakers I know. ("Lol" and "Rofl" are not words to be spoken out loud, and "See you later" is not spelt "c u l8r", for example.)

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Speaking of spelling, it reminds me of an article that was in on of the papers here today. It was meant to be a 'what else will be gone in 50 years' item because of the various store chains that have closed down here because of the global credit crunch that have been established for years... within 30 years, spelling will be a thing of the past due to proliferation of abrieviations in our language... LOL, CUl8tr etc. and because of how so many exams papers are still getting good grades despite being littered with poor spellings.

/end threadjack.

Gredinus

Post by Gredinus »

fuzzybeard2016

Post by fuzzybeard2016 »

David Johnston wrote:
Ray D wrote:Tres amusante. And the cat is full of win.

"Come here. I will protect you."
LOL. I love how DiDi thinks of our punkette perv as some fragile little girl who needs guarding and mothering.
Of course compared to Didi everyone is fragile and little.
Excusez-moi? If *I* were in the strip, I don't think I'd be considered "fragile and little!" I clock in at 6'6" (1.98m), and 300+ pounds (~140 kg, damn holiday pigging out...). The first week at where I currently work there was a pallet that was at a vertical 45 degree angle stuck in a trailer; the pallet weighed about 600 pounds (272 kg). I walked into the trailer and set it upright, with no mechanical assistance.

The forklift operator was just sitting there with her mouth hanging open, the shift supervisor comes over and tells me, "That was a very nice thing to do; but if you EVER do that again, I'll have to write you up!" :-\
Rockhound: Why do I do this? Because the money's good, the scenery changes and they let me use explosives, okay?
"Armageddon" (1998/I)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120591/

DMoness

Post by DMoness »

i fourth that Lita plushie :x
About spelling you will be surprised how many official released books/novels/manga are littered with typing errors(some so big it just laughs at you when you read it).

I really feel sorry for the neighbours. The first night they were probably kept awake by Didi moaning, the second night by Didi and Zii's screaming. Wonder what the thrid night will have in store for everyone :ymdevil: