Character Discussion!

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: Character Discussion!

Post by Tenjen »

thats hte hting though Jared. They dont want to do both. they want to have the slapstick as teh central aim and the development as secondary.

cool cat, P&A had a mix of both already. Ma3 is a different breed.

MA3 is a 3-4 panel comic. that in itself shows its short burst slapstick nature. much like newspaper comic strips.

The others are full comic page formats.

i love this comic and its current path. Anything else other than what Gil and Dave have planned will ruin it.

edit change Gil with Giz

i blame ---> Post by Tenjen on Fri May 01, 2009 3:28 am
Last edited by Tenjen on Fri May 01, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Yes, now that I have secretly replaced Giz in an all smothering bloodless coup, I have big plans for Ma3. Big plans indeed, sir.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

DarkKnightJared wrote:Which I would ask, in the words of a flawed but lovable character in Marvel Studio's first and last good film--is it too much to ask for both?
Yes, because farce, by its very nature, preclude all but the broadest characterization.

And that's what this is, a farce - it's not a romcom, it's not a humorous character exploration (like P&A), it's not even a simple slapstick, which can be laid over deep characterization.

It's a rather textbook farce.

Giz, Dave, and many of the readers, don't want it to be anything else.
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Ray D

Post by Ray D »

Actually, Jared, I tend to be of your opinion. I don't want this strip to be as angsty and drama-filled as P & A, at all. That is a well done strip, I suppose, but it's not my cup of tea. Menagea3 doesn't have to be Tolstoy, yet I do feel that it is possible to add a little more depth to the people here without losing the gag humor. It does not have to be an either/or. The best gags grow out of the characters. Peanuts was a 4-panel strip with consistently great gags, but Schulz developed his kids so well (a little at a time, a panel at a time) that it made the jokes all that much richer and funnier. Character and absurd comedy are not mutually exclusive.

Actually, I think people are missing some of the development we have already seen. Gary hasn't gotten very far, but we've learned an awful lot about Zii and now DiDi is starting to show some surprises as well. Sandra, Junghan, and Yuki are all great additions with very different personalities.

Phew, I'm glad things have cooled off. For a while there I thought one of our discussions was sure to wind up on fandomwank.

UGotSarged

Post by UGotSarged »

Zii is easily my favorite, she reminds me of a female, punk-rock, Barney Stinson... she has this personality where, the first time you meet, you automatically become her best friend (even if you don't want it sometimes). I love people like that.

Zii has some seriously awesome band shirts, but some of them are a little hard to pin-point for anyone doesn't know them (L7 is more or less simple) what other bands does Zii own shirts of?

Gredinus

Post by Gredinus »

The cast page needs to be updated with the new characters ;D

RoninAngel

Post by RoninAngel »

I like Zii. She is soooo cute! :ymblushing:

I also like....

Well... I REALLY like Zii. ;)
"LIFE is dangerous, Sandi! EMBRACE LIFE!"
Faith Abbot, to Sandi on Magic Chicks.

hime

Post by hime »

I gotta say...so far, I really don't like yuki....just a bit too over dramatic...But then, she hasn't really been around for long yet, so I'll wait and see.

RoninAngel

Post by RoninAngel »

I agree, but am trying to keep an open mind for now. Mostly becuase she's a Japanese Lesbian (AND THAT'S MADE OF WIN!! :D). I want to like her for the afformentioned reasons but if she dosen't calm down soon she'll get on my nerves? Like in the Phantom Tollbooth, you can only get to the Island of Conclusions by jumping.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Gredinus wrote:The cast page needs to be updated with the new characters ;D
Giz did!!!

:-bd

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Gredinus

Post by Gredinus »

Don Alexander wrote:
Gredinus wrote:The cast page needs to be updated with the new characters ;D
Giz did!!!

:-bd

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
hax...

and

Lita
Zii's cat. Hates everyone, but oddly enough, hangs around Gary a lot. Does she like Gary, or realize that Gary has allergies and hang around to torture him? She's not saying.

RoninAngel

Post by RoninAngel »

Well finally Yuki shows a positive trait! Yay! :ymhug:

hime

Post by hime »

which was? I have yet to see it...

I love all the other characters...but yukis just a bit much for me...a bit too..."high school girl who hasn't quite discovered that the world doesn't revolve around her."

RoninAngel

Post by RoninAngel »

Well positive trait might be stretching it.
But at least she's intrested in Gary's comics.

That's something right?

RIGHT? :-ss

hime

Post by hime »

Yeah, I'd say that's something :) I loved the "onegai" thing it was cute