Character Discussion!

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Raxus

Re: Character Discussion!

Post by Raxus »

Exactly. But imagine Zii would run around agressively trying to bed everyone (except Gary) or we'd see Kylie moan about her small brests every 3rd strip. We'd hate them just as much.
"All this meat, putting it together for big sloppy ben roethlisberger super bowl special epic meal time sh**. I'm about to lose my fu**** mind. Mother fu**** sports." (H. Morgenstein)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don't know about that. If Zii or Kiley or whoever were one-note characters who appeared in every strip, they'd certainly get boring, and readers would be put off the comic, but I don't think that they'd be hated so much. The extra twist with Yuki is that her one (visible) characteristic, the clueless selfish immaturity, is also quite annoying in it own right.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

I too would have to agree that this trainwreck of a relationship needs to come to an end but I have a dreadful feeling the only thing that will end it will be the detonation of the K-bomb.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, I have a nasty feeling that the K-bomb could just leave Yuki with an extra loop to the emotional stranglehold she's put on Gary. Laying guilt on the other party can be a viciously effective weapon. Not that Yuki would think of it in those terms, of course.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

You might be right about that but it all hinges on what condition KIley is in when she returns to the strip. I also wonder why she has been out of the strip this long but I would have to guess there is going to be some big plot twist or shoe drop which would explain why she has been gone this long. Hopefully in early January when things are supposed to get more interesting we'll find out then but I'm still preparing myself for disappointment. Like I posted in another thread I thought the first four volumes were great but to me volume 5 has been disappointing so far. What the hell happened to Everybody Has Lots of Sex (except Gary poor bastard) in this strip? I know its all supposed to make sense in the end but the current pacing is starting to get a bit grueling. If I'm the only one who feels this way then I'll shut up about it and try to enjoy the rest of this volume.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

No, you aren't the only person to think that this volume has got a bit bogged down. But to be fair regarding Kiley - she's not actually been gone that long, strip time. It's just that the comic getting bogged down that way has meant that her time off-stage has amounted to a lot of strips.
---------
Spidrift

dmh3000

Post by dmh3000 »

So Kiley's back and that shoe has dropped. Now Sonya's taking Gary for a ride and she's playing doctor with Matt.

But actually, this is a good set up to a theory I had earlier in this thread. Basically, Kiley would find out about how horrible Gary's relationship with Yuki was and would debate with herself whether she wanted to end it because it was a bad idea or whether she just wanted Gary. Here it works too, and she knows that she hates Sonya so she knows her judgement will be clouded. Plus, it's Gary, so he probably won't end it unless Sonya is so blatant about how she only wants Gary physically and Zii is who has her heart.

Actually, so she can get away with chasing Zii, Sonya might opt for an open relationship and let Gary also bang Didi and Amber.

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm still thinking that Matt is repressing an attraction to Gary.

Let's see

Posing nude for Gary's art, and refusing to wear underwear when Gary suggested it.
Using a recording of Gary's moans to enhance sex with Dillon, close as he could get to actually getting him in the sack.(As far as we know, don't know how he is about seducing straight guys)

I really believe that Matt is more attracted to Gary then he lets on.............or considering the therapy.......may even be aware of.
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

TheEighth wrote:I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm still thinking that Matt is repressing an attraction to Gary.
Is possible. Matt is clearly a bit vain and snobbish about physical appearance (comes with the job, no doubt), and categorises Gary as "hopeless geek" where everyone else in the cast seems to rate him as quite cute, really. So if there's a bit of Matt that's attracted to Gary - well, cognitive dissonance follows.

(Hey, that must be the real secret importance of the Christmas Future strip! Not "Gary is able to explore his bi-curious side" but "Matt is able to act on his attraction to Gary"! Matt is finally finding an excuse to express his love there!)
TheEighth wrote:(As far as we know, don't know how he is about seducing straight guys)
We've not seen him make a habit of it, but in one of the print volume bonus strips, he not only happily let Sonya and Zii employ him to bed Jake, he announced that straight men give the best blow jobs. So there's apparently some history there.
---------
Spidrift

dmh3000

Post by dmh3000 »

TheEighth wrote: I really believe that Matt is more attracted to Gary then he lets on.............or considering the therapy.......may even be aware of.
I always read it as more his pride being hurt. While it is clear he's attracted to Gary, which pretty much everyone into dudes is, unlike Dillon he seems to realise Gary won't be turned and accepts that.

That's why I assumed he's more hurt by the idea that Gary is more attractive than him, to the point Didi fantasises about him rather than Matt. Remember, Matt's a model and Gary's a sheltered nerd, so to Matt he probably assumes he should be leagues ahead of Gary.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Fluffy wrote: So, Gary now has a choice to make - continue sacrificing his own needs for the sake of his penis fearing girlfriend or think of his own needs for once and let her go (doesn't even have to be a permanent breakup, either - just long enough so Yuki can get her phobia properly conquered and allow him to play the field a little bit).
It was for the best that things ended between Gary and Yuki the way they did. If Gary had dumped Yuki, no matter the motivation, the Gary-hate would have started up. That hate would have risen to a crescendo when Sonya made her move, and a blue-balled Gary naturally gave in to her right after dumping Yuki. There's already some forum posters displeased with Gary for banging Sonya as is, even though Yuki dumped him AND gave him explicit permission to sex up Sonya on the way out. If he had done the dumping...oy, the hate, the Gary HAAAAAAAATE.

Besides, we all know Gary would never have been that bloody proactive to actually dump Yuki anyway. Distinct lack of spine, remember?
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

People are already hating Gary anyway because he had sex with Sonya but most of those people are Yuki fans and Gary/Yuki shippers so that's par for the course. I'm actually hoping the breakup of Gary and Yuki becomes permanent because I don't want the Gary/Yuki shippers to win and I don't want Takeru to win either. I also wonder if the reason why Gary got sex from Sonya so quickly once Yuki was no longer an obstacle is to show that Yuki was indeed holding Gary back and Gary was holding Yuki back by being complacent or "whipped" thus making Yuki think she didn't have to work to fix her issues.

I think the real reason Yuki is so depressed now is that she has never had to face a true challenge in life. Here's a list of what Yuki has gotten with little or no effort:

She got into Zii's first band.
She became Zii's girlfriend after crashing the band.
She found Zii again and found where she lived.
She forced Gary to draw her manga for free.
She successfully seduced Zii during the play after ditching Gary and got her pearl polished later.
She won Gary as her boyfriend and reconciled with her father.
She moved into Gary's place with little effort by giving him a shut up kiss.
She got into Zii's second band.
She got the SGR many times.

Now she finally wants to make Gary happy but only after getting called out on it but what's this? She actually has to put effort into it! Now she runs off and starts wangsting despite the fact she has gotten everything else handed to her with little to no effort on her part. Yeah I know, Protagonist-Centered Morality and all that but I loathe Protagonist-Centered Morality because its the very reason why Zii and Yuki have gotten away with all the crap they've pulled. Now that Yuki has FINALLY received her reality check I really want Zii to receive hers.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zii's been getting that check by installments ever since she fell for Erik. Sure, you can say that she's getting off fairly lightly, and that the rich, doting boyfriend must help cushion the blow, but she is having to deal with the fact that the stuff she used to want and enjoy now represents an embarrassment and a threat to her new life, and she actually has to resist temptations, which isn't something she's used to.
---------
Spidrift

JustOpinions

Post by JustOpinions »

I think by this point we'll see the sexual focus start to rear its strange, mushroom-shaped head towards Zii's curtains. This is a lot of speculation, but with Sonya still attracted to Zii, Erik (where's he gone by the way?) still in the picture, and Yuki single and feeling very, very bad about herself, there's more of a chance that the focus will shift to her. This next bit of speculation is a little biased because I am a bit of a shipper of this couple. After a decently long series of therapy sessions, Yuki will probably give up on the notion of getting rid of her fear, maybe even show some affection toward Kiley. Kiley on the other hand will hear just how sweet and patient Gary was, she may even feel bad for sleeping with Matt (and what ever happened to Matt and Desi by the way?), and then resolve to get back together with him. Which I want to happen. I really want that to happen because they compliment each other really well and Kiley would be able to help Gary's speedrunning problem and Gary would be able to help Kiley's self-esteem problem and I bet Matt would try to sleep with Gary or something.

JustOpinions

Post by JustOpinions »

In my head, Gary finds out about Matt and Kiley and suddenly goes bananas http://youtu.be/KZ6rJ-ra8zg
No pun intended of course