Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 18-06-19 Back in art school

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: PTC 18-06-19 Back in art school

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Well, Zadie, for the moment from avoiding the idiot route, has earned the right to smile in panel 1.
Anyway, I wonder if Aaron will call out Ramona for abandoning her objectivity for the sake of her BL love? Well, probably not, because Aaron is an idiot... Regardless, it is hardly surprising that in an "everyone is at minimum bi" world that Felix apparently had a boyfriend at one point, but that somewhat makes his overt flirtation at Ramona earlier a tad more perplexing - and it already was a head scratcher due to being unprofessional.
I suppose Felix could be a Jack Harkness type, in that he tries to flatter anyone that catches his fancy, regardless of the situation. There is another rationale that I admittedly overlooked, which is that he is trying to pander to Ramona for the sake of getting hired; in that case, he wouldn't be technically unprofessional, rather would be unethical. He knows Ramona is the one with authority, which gives further reasons to him mostly ignoring Zadie, whose favour is worthless in the job interview.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

So Felix is bi no surprise there. And calling it now, Felix's boyfriend while he was in art school was either Dillon or Matt. Gotta maintain the one degree of separation.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

And Ramona continues to juggle the (hormone-enhanced) idiot ball with grim determination.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 am
Regardless, it is hardly surprising that in an "everyone is at minimum bi" world that Felix apparently had a boyfriend at one point, but that somewhat makes his overt flirtation at Ramona earlier a tad more perplexing - and it already was a head scratcher due to being unprofessional.
I don't see why him flirting with girls is perplexing. His dialogue here implies that he's bi, tending hetero, which makes it entirely natural.

I'd really enjoy it if Felix turned out to have got this job pointer from Gary, then interrogated Gary in fine detail about the people involved, and walked in cold-bloodedly prepared to flirt the crap out of Ramona and drop hints about live-action yaoi to seal the deal. I mean, that boyfriend back in college could be a complete fiction. Having a character who's a smart, manipulative nigh-sociopath would be such a pleasant change. But no, this is Pixietrix; stupidity isn't just the norm, it's mandatory.

(Unless the character is so messed up or sex-crazed that they act stupid despite nominally being smart. Full props to Peggy for ducking that responsibility most of the time, I guess. I wonder if we'll be seeing less of Ruby here than we might hope; now she's got a lot of her hang-ups sorted out, she has no excuse for acting particularly stupid, so she may no longer fit in the setting.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

jish55

Post by jish55 »

Come on Ramona, don't let your lady boner cloud your judgement.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It’s the Ma3-verse. If a character didn’t value sex appeal more than sanity and life itself, we’d have to assume they were dead.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Interesting.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

jish55 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:09 pm
Come on Ramona, don't let your lady boner cloud your judgement.
Ruby would've made the same impulsive choice.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Yep. This is PixieTrix Montreal. Logic and reason lose to impulse and desire every time.

Which is fine. That is the show we’re here to see, after all. :)
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

Aaron can shut the fuck up and sit in the corner, as usual.

I wonder if Felix might not have been experimenting, or if he was mostly dating a guy to have easier access to a nude model. It's not like people in this comic world aren't frequently opportunistic.
**== **== **== **==

xetalon

Post by xetalon »

Yeah, Felix very intelligent. He does know how to get what he wants. Once he found out Ramona weak spot it was an easy job.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Valkog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm

I wonder if Felix might not have been experimenting, or if he was mostly dating a guy to have easier access to a nude model. It's not like people in this comic world aren't frequently opportunistic.
I thought he made a valid point.

Ramona did make it sound like "Well, I want talent." Her inclination has been anything but who's best for the job.

Saying women would more likely be willing to draw yaoi, doesn't mean they would be a better artist. "We want to hire such and such, just because they're such and such." is bad business practice, just as it's bad business practice, to hire someone just because he had a boyfriend. :p

brasca

Post by brasca »

Valkog wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm
It’s very shortsighted of him. Having another woman on staff means an alternative if things don’t work out with Zadie or possibly to make her jealous.

Missie

Post by Missie »

Ramona, you're being gross :/ Look at it from the other side, genders reversed.

"Well your resume looks great, but we really wanted to interview more men for this job, because we think men might be better suited... Wait you're a lesbian?! That is so hot! You're hired!"

Doesn't look great, does it? Yeah, she didn't say it was hot out loud, but it's pretty clear that's what she's thinking.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Missie wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 am
Ramona, you're being gross :/ Look at it from the other side, genders reversed.

"Well your resume looks great, but we really wanted to interview more men for this job, because we think men might be better suited... Wait you're a lesbian?! That is so hot! You're hired!"

Doesn't look great, does it? Yeah, she didn't say it was hot out loud, but it's pretty clear that's what she's thinking.
It would be if equality truly existed, but women still have a power deficit so it’s not really the same thing. Not to mention this is a comedy which wouldn’t work if everyone was perfect.