Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 13-06-19 Just that awesome

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: PTC 13-06-19 Just that awesome

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Well, credit to Zadie for quickly finding an escape from her impulsive suggestion, rather than sticking to stupid guns! Typical Ma3 characters would commit to an absurd notion that they initially had barely any realisation about, no matter how humiliating or poorly conceived the notion was; however, by taking an out, I guess Zadie might have more wits than I gave her credit for.

Felix must have some financial support if he is easily convinced to hire both Ramona and Aaron to help with his ideas. Financial support, or is a bit selfish in thinking that both would accept half rates, or - the increasingly more plausible option - he is woefully naive about the expenses needed to fund his little project.

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

Wait, why would Felix have to pay anything? He is the one getting hired here.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Aaaand Zadie lobs the idiot ball into the blank space between Ramona and Aaron, safe in the knowledge that they'll both fight furiously for hold of it.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 am
Felix must have some financial support if he is easily convinced to hire both Ramona and Aaron to help with his ideas. Financial support, or is a bit selfish in thinking that both would accept half rates, or - the increasingly more plausible option - he is woefully naive about the expenses needed to fund his little project.
Uh, what? I think that you have completely misread who will be hiring who.

Anyway, Felix being happy with this prospect suggests either that he believes that he's a reasonably fast worker, or that he's desperate for employment. Probably a bit of both. And this game of Idiot Ball Basketball may look dumb on consideration, but it ensures that the company will hire the first characters who show up in pursuit of each job, so the comic can skip depicting any tiresome competitive interview processes.

Also - it looks to me like Felix may have got DiDi to model for the face of his heroine there, but he used somebody else for the non-Powergirl body. But the hero doesn't look like anyone in the setting that I can see, so that guess is probably wrong. If there is a resemblance, it's likely just Giz falling into standard patterns for character art.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Felix doesn't have any issues illustrating yaoi so it appears that he's not some lothario who wants Ramona more than the job.

gormadoc

Post by gormadoc »

I rather doubt every yaoi fan wants superhero figures, since most yaoi has overly slight and lanky men, usually somewhat feminine, with the disproportionate features being big hands, long arms and legs, big eyes, and long necks. Superhero dudes are usually just really buff, with small eyes and necks.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

gormadoc wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:36 pm
I rather doubt every yaoi fan wants superhero figures, since most yaoi has overly slight and lanky men, usually somewhat feminine, with the disproportionate features being big hands, long arms and legs, big eyes, and long necks. Superhero dudes are usually just really buff, with small eyes and necks.
I'd say Ramona is naïve in thinking the yaoi would outsell the super hero comic. Already in a niche market, and she just makes it more niche. Though, even introducing a new super hero, is a long shot in comics.

However, I'd wager on Aaron's idea making the money more than Ramona, if for nothing else, the movie rights.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Balanced against all of this being the fact that the creator of the universe in which these characters live is clearly more interested in yaoi than in superheroes.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

MissMadness

Post by MissMadness »

As a yaoi fan I can safely say as long as it's hot and well present yaoi fans don't mind at all. As long as it's hot and sticky in just the right kinda ways it's fine.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:46 am
Balanced against all of this being the fact that the creator of the universe in which these characters live is clearly more interested in yaoi than in superheroes.
That's besides the point :p

Obviously the writers are going to make things up as they want.

As I pointed out earlier, it was a professional in comics, who said, when applying to get into comics, don't show original characters, as they mean nothing, show panel work, she already established characters. Drawing already established characters lets them know if you can draw their characters in a way they like.

Drawing OC means, you can draw them. So draw Spider-Man. Draw Peter Parker. Let them see if your style matches what they expect Peter Parker to look like.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Which is very true, except ...
On a meta level, Giz doesn't want him showing drawings of Spiderman or any other copyrighted characters in a strip that will eventually get published. She could have had him draw Nina or any of the cast from Eerie Cuties as they're known as a comic in this universe. Maybe they didnt think of it. *shrugs*
It is a common mistake to show OC's in an interview so that may have been a deliberate choice to show Felix's lack of experience.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Having Felix drawing Eerie Cuties characters would tangle things up in far too much of what TV Tropes calls a Celebrity Paradox. In the setting, Eerie Cuties is evidently drawn by the in-setting incarnation of Giz, so Felix would be drawn by Giz as trying to prove his skill by producing drawings as if drawn by Giz... So his sample drawings would by definition be perfect...

Perhaps a really brilliant comics artist could create drawings "by Felix" in a different style to the surrounding comic, establishing Felix's style as distinctively different to Giz's. But it'd be a big ask.
---------
Spidrift

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:34 am
Aaaand Zadie lobs the idiot ball into the blank space between Ramona and Aaron, safe in the knowledge that they'll both fight furiously for hold of it.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 am
Uh, what? I think that you have completely misread who will be hiring who.
You are correct. I did misread the situation as thinking that a secondary project had popped up. I could argue that it was because the dialogue was a bit cluttered in the second half, but ultimately I misread it like a moron.