PTC 06-06-19 A newbie

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

LegendaryKroc

Re: PTC 06-06-19 A newbie

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Comedy that doesn't land is painful. Comedy that consistently doesn't land is unbearable. So far the strip's been kinda hit-and-miss on that front, but this one's definitely a miss.

Zadie, stop. Just stop. You're not being funny, and this early on when the strip doesn't have a dedicated audience, you can NOT afford to have people mentally categorize you as a dumb bitch.
oddtail wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:54 pm
I am a long-time reader of first MA3 and now the new comic (and for some of that time, I did look lurk at the forum), but it took me this particular strip to register to the forum specifically to comment.

First of all: hi, everyone!

Second of all: I understand Zadie being attracted to this guy, he's hot. I understand her being a little flustered and maybe even acting silly.

But here she comes off as pushy and not in a comedically charming way.

I was thinking why this doesn't register as funny, or at least similar to the shenanigans in, say, a typical MA3 scene.

And I think it's in the reaction of the other two. Or rather, lack thereof.

If Ramona was all over Felix or vice versa, the jealous reaction would fit. Here, there are some polite compliments from Felix, which are acknowledged and clearly appreciated by Ramona, but neither of them acts like they're interested. The situation basically doesn't register as "wacky shenanigans".

Heck, if it was the opposite - Felix being incredibly clueless and ignoring Zadie altogether (either making puppy eyes at Ramona, just being rude to the point of not caring she's in the room, or being super-clueless), the contrast between Zadie's attempts and his lack of reaction might have some comedic flavour. In a "she's waving semaphor flags at him and he's blissfully unaware of that" way. But he acknowledges her, answers her questions, seems polite enough to her and doesn't ignore her or treat her with contempt. So Zadie's over the top reaction is not, so to say, bouncing off of anything.

Really, any extreme reaction, or an extreme LACK of reaction would make the scene make more sense. Ramona being angry at her, Ramona clearly seeing what Zadie is doing and trying to help her get Felix's attention, anything. Lacking that, or any kind of double entendres or misunderstanding (which fits the "one person trying really hard, the other not responding" kind of comedy) leaves us only with the reality of the situation.

And that reality is that Zadie is pushing herself onto an attractive guy who is showing clear signs of either "I'm busy, OK?" (but without brushing her off) or "I'm not interested. Yes, I see you there. No, I'm not flirting with you". And since we have a situation that's not over-the-top enough to be comedic, Zadie is just being inappropriate at the workplace. Which would be fine in a scene where everyone is. But there's no weird setup or extreme situation (like in the scene with Zadie's ex-boyfriend earlier). Humour is subjective, but here I don't think a comedic setup, unlike in some earlier strips.

Heck, given no wacky miscommunication, there's no reason she can't just hold her horses, and after Felix is done talking about his work, simply asking him out. He hasn't shown hostility or even irritation, so she can do that, and have the offer either accepted or rejected. Regardless, her interest is either reciprocated, or the matter is closed and she should move on.

And since that's not what is happening, it looks like the scene is going nowhere just for the sake of having a scene of this kind? I mean, there could still be a payoff, like Felix going from "politely ignoring her attempts at flirting" to "Felix panicking in an extremely over-the-top way" or something else that reframes the whole interaction. But until and unless that happens, I think this scene is weird and I'm not sure what it's meant to accomplish other than possibly "make the reader dislike Zadie".
Welcome, new guy. I think you're pretty on point here, so well done. Thank your lucky stars that you haven't been caught up in the worst of the drama around here.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

jish55 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 pm
With the Ramona blushing debate, I don't see anything wrong with her, as she's just enjoying the compliments and attention. If anything, I'm more concerned with what Felix's intentions might be as he's trying to smooth talk her. Though, with how MA3 has gone down in the past, that may be something to be a little concerned about, and is a trap I hope Ramona doesn't fall into.
One of the first things he said to her acknowledged that she has a partner. Assuming that wasn't just fishing for her to confirm or deny the fact, and that he does know about Jung (and he could, from Gary), I doubt that he's actually aiming to seduce her.

He is coming across as a bit smarmy, especially if he is actually trying to flirt his way into getting hired, which looks quite plausible. That's obnoxious in its own right. But perhaps he's just one of those people who throw out random flirtatious lines because he thinks it's fun.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

So Zadie and Ramona are just like every other young woman in the Ma3verse. The moment they encounter an attractive and flirty man they turn into boy-crazy teens. Zadie getting jealous in the last panel isn't doing her any favors either. And I'm thinking Felix already has a girlfriend (or boyfriend if he's bi) but he's a compulsive flirt like Dillon.

Now I wish they would have just continued Ma3 instead of starting this new webcomic since it's looking like it's going to be more of the same anyway.

xetalon

Post by xetalon »

Felix is a professional who want to get the job, so of course he'll do what he can to be chosen. He's been professional, until the end, what he told to Zadie for being a newbie is a proof of that.
Still, Zadie attitude is really awful, she gets in the way of the job getting done.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:40 am

He is coming across as a bit smarmy, especially if he is actually trying to flirt his way into getting hired, which looks quite plausible. That's obnoxious in its own right.
It wouldn't be much different from Zadie using her sudden break up as a means to emotionally manipulate her way into scoring a job.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

True enough, if they’re both being equally consciously manipulative. I’m slightly more inclined to believe that Zadie’s puppy-dog eyes were genuine — accidentally looking sad for a moment is more plausible than accidentally flirting for minutes at a stretch — but quite possibly they’re both meant to be read as being as bad as each other.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

I really have to wonder if these people will ever publish a single issue of whatever comic they come up with.
**== **== **== **==

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

Spidrift wrote:
But perhaps he's just one of those people who throw out random flirtatious lines because he thinks it's fun.
That's the impression I get, he might really find Ramona attractive and a bit of harmless flirting never hurts. You can enjoy being charming ( and getting attractive ppl to blush) without having bad intentions or expecting something to come out of it.

oddtail

Post by oddtail »

Chantaru wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:02 am
Spidrift wrote:
But perhaps he's just one of those people who throw out random flirtatious lines because he thinks it's fun.
That's the impression I get, he might really find Ramona attractive and a bit of harmless flirting never hurts. You can enjoy being charming ( and getting attractive ppl to blush) without having bad intentions or expecting something to come out of it.
I agree. If the person you're talking to isn't uncomfortable with it (and that's a big "if"), a little flirting or a few compliments can be just a way to be friendly. It takes being careful and watching the reactions closely, but I don't think it's inherently a bad thing. And Felix seems to do just fine, IMHO.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:37 pm
So, what part of 'this is my life partner' did Zadie not get when Ramona introduced her to Junghan?
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:55 am

Ramona's blushing is bit vexing - in that, it seems cute, but her overall disposition implies a lack of loyalty to Jung. Granted, Felix and her could simply being having a pleasant banter and I'm overthinking the situation.
Blushing isn't a sign of possible infidelity; it's simply a reaction to flattery. Unless something happens down the line to say otherwise, I think it's a safe bet that Ramona is just flattered by Felix's compliments/praise; not being wooed by an attractive stranger.
Yeah, seems like the more plausible option. Besides, I doubt that we would have Felix become so immediately unlikeable as to make moves on, as you noted, Junghan's "this is my life partner." It is probably more showing Zadie's deep-seated flaws (which, bit of an aside, I'd like to see something likeable about her first, instead all flaws), than Felix being an unprofessional sleaze.