Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 23-05-19 Trying to kick me out

Post by Giz »

SailorDh

Re: PTC 23-05-19 Trying to kick me out

Post by SailorDh »

This guy is like the Male version of Zii just without the freeloader chromosome.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

It was wrong of Zadie to use an unwitting Aaron in her bizarre relationship "skit," but he is a moron for falling for it so much that he actually believed he could move in with her as if they had an actual relationship; he could've been incredulous or confused, but to be so naively, let's say, optimistic? I understand the rule of funny, but there is only so many times idiocy can run the day before it becomes tedious.
Nevertheless, seeing Aaron, I can't blame his parents for wanting him out. Ha

This roommate arrangement now though makes me worried that it will turn into diet Ma3... Perhaps it is merely repeating a well-worn plot device, yet with the fact that the only other major plot is "comic store business, business" reinforces my concern. I guess a light sitcom would be fine, however, the characters need more to make the humour work - so far, Zadie seems manipulative, unhealthily competitive, and dismissive; Aaron is obnoxious and stupid; Jung and Ramona are only strong supporting characters, not main.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Saw that coming.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 am
It was wrong of Zadie to use an unwitting Aaron in her bizarre relationship "skit," but he is a moron for falling for it so much that he actually believed he could move in with her as if they had an actual relationship; he could've been incredulous or confused, but to be so naively, let's say, optimistic? I understand the rule of funny, but there is only so many times idiocy can run the day before it becomes tedious.
I was almost prepared to give Aaron credit for maybe having enough wit that his panel 4.1 line was a joke. But then, looking at panel 1 again, maybe not.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 am
This roommate arrangement now though makes me worried that it will turn into diet Ma3... Perhaps it is merely repeating a well-worn plot device, yet with the fact that the only other major plot is "comic store business, business" reinforces my concern. I guess a light sitcom would be fine, however, the characters need more to make the humour work - so far, Zadie seems manipulative, unhealthily competitive, and dismissive; Aaron is obnoxious and stupid; Jung and Ramona are only strong supporting characters, not main.
Bear in mind that "Roommate Com" is something which has its own entry on TV Tropes. This may not be so much a repeat of Ma3 as a repeat of assorted TV shows and Webcomics. Anyhow, if the comic's title actually means anything, the focus won't be so much on the apartment as on the business.

And I get the impression that Giz is fond enough of Ramona that we'll see her developed a bit more, while Jung has actually been showing a tiny bit more complexity in this comic than before -- slapping Aaron down for being a jerk, and not just because he's an easy target. So I'm not giving up on this comic yet. Still hoping for some Ruby appearances, though.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

I'm not sure myself, Aaron is so chill when Zadie tells him he's not moving in that it's hard to believe he really believed her. The fact that he brings up the $700 when he had no real need to (his parents know how much he pays them), seemed more like a planned thing on his part. But maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don’t think that characters in this setting are capable of that kind of subtlety.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

I have a feeling Zadie may regret the decision if we find out that Ruby got her own apartment and is looking for a roommate, but now she's stuck with Aaron.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I'm impressed that Aaron's got an income that allows him to set aside $700 - 750 for rent money without sweating.
Whatever else he is, he must be a hard worker.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Cue the music: "So no one told your life was gonna be this way :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE: ..."
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I'm still hoping that this comic's main focus will be on the comic book store. But if it's going to focus more on Zadie and Aaron as roommates then I won't be sticking around.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:53 pm
I have a feeling Zadie may regret the decision if we find out that Ruby got her own apartment and is looking for a roommate, but now she's stuck with Aaron.
Do note that Zadie already had the apartment, which she presumably likes. She wouldn’t want to have to move out to share with someone else if she can help it. Finding someone who can help pay for it is a bonus.
Error of Logic wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm
I'm impressed that Aaron's got an income that allows him to set aside $700 - 750 for rent money without sweating.
Whatever else he is, he must be a hard worker.
Canadian dollars, if that’s relevant.

He is, I get the impression, sweating a little. But he’s clearly got to the point where living in his parents’ basement just feels too embarrassing. (One wonders if Jung has moved out of his maternal basement and in with Ramona.) And if he’s living mostly on ramen, and supporting his hobby by demeaning himself for Jung, while living in a country with state-provided health services, this may not be too infeasible.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:51 pm
brasca wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:53 pm
Do note that Zadie already had the apartment, which she presumably likes. She wouldn’t want to have to move out to share with someone else if she can help it. Finding someone who can help pay for it is a bonus.
Yes, I wrote this before remembering that detail. It could still happen except Ruby is looking to move out of her apartment and for some reason can't move in with Andy.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Well that clinches it. He's seven flavours of nerd stereotypes and she's a normal, well-adjusted woman who just happens to have a stupidity for comedy switch in the back of her brain.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:09 pm
It could still happen except Ruby is looking to move out of her apartment and for some reason can't move in with Andy.
So far as I recall, the strong implication was that Andy still lived at home with his parents. (Lot of it about. Millennials.) I guess that we may hear that he’s joined Ruby in some place that she’s found, but my gut feeling is that she wouldn’t want to do anything so committed-looking just yet. (But perhaps that’s linked to my personal feeling that Andy is just not really Ruby’s type, long term.) However, I’m sure that she’ll be looking for a place, if logic holds; she’ll want a bed which she can shanghai Andy into whenever the whim takes her, and ironically, from what she said, improving her relationship with Amber demands that she put a bit more space between them.
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:44 pm
Well that clinches it. He's seven flavours of nerd stereotypes and she's a normal, well-adjusted woman who just happens to have a stupidity for comedy switch in the back of her brain.
Lot of that about too. And really, Aaron has a stupidity switch too; it’s just that his is glued closed except when he needs to give technical advice on his key topics.
---------
Spidrift