Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 07-05-19 Float to the top

Post by Giz »

brasca

Re: PTC 07-05-19 Float to the top

Post by brasca »

I don’t think Aaron could be this clever so I’ll chalk this up to dumb luck.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Yaoi superhero. Problem solved? Aha

I wouldn't consider Aaron's hiring a result of any actual careful planning, but rather dumb luck, a hyperactive resolve, as well as being pestering enough to wear down Ramona's patience, thus causing her to answer his childishness with an equivalent of a parent saying, "fine, we'll get another icecream!"

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It’s one of the stock Ma3-universe gags; people with crap impulse control being bounced into saying they’ll do something they don’t want to, then keeping their word because plot.

And I’m not sure what Aaron or Ramona are about to do to win this bet or qualify as staff. Come up with ideas? Ideas are cheap; it’s realising them that’s difficult. Write scripts? Hmm, can’t see Aaron being that great at that, and who gets to draw them? Create whole comics? Neither of them seem to be artists...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

So that means we’re going to get an artist and with Gary having enough on his plate we’re probably getting a new character.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

We now have confirmation that Jung owns the comic book store. I also agree with brasca in that we are probably going to get another new character as the artist since Gary is working full time at that video game studio and still working on Yuki's manga. Zadie still needs a roommate so maybe the new artist character will become her new roommate? Or will Ruby fulfill the role as Zadie's new roommate? And who knows, maybe Ramona herself is going to be the artist? Gah, we need more updates than just twice per week with the long five-day gap. Or make the two updates per week eight panels each instead of just four panels.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

brasca wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:23 pm
So that means we’re going to get an artist and with Gary having enough on his plate we’re probably getting a new character.
Possibly. Gary does bend over backwards for his friends. And encouragement and the possibility of 'making it bigtime' can be motivators to put in a little midnight oil.

As the name of the comic strip suggests, it is still Menage a 3, just with the change in venue to the comic shop instead of Gary's apartment. Of course I could be entirely wrong and the story could evolve into "PTC: The Search for Zadie's roommate"... if Ruby's overshadowing of SDB recurs.

Good to see that Jung is the owner. I don't remember a change in ownership being mentioned; but truth be told, I don't recall him having to answer to an owner or upper management etc. I have known a few brick and mortar stores (sadly out of business now) that had the store manger buy out ownership of the store (echoing a post a few days ago). Perhaps it was behind the scenes; it isn't like anyone pays attention to Jung except for Ramona nowadays.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

Aaron's creepy homophobia is already wearing thin.
**== **== **== **==

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

No Ramona, you didn't just make another impulse hire. You only commissioned a scenario for a superhero book.

The stakes for the bet haven't been mentioned - could be something trivial like in Trading Places.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Valkog wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:54 pm
Aaron's creepy homophobia is already wearing thin.
Creepy homophobia? Hadn't seen any homophobia from him.

He said yaoi was niche within a niche.

He was all for yuri (you know, the other half of the homosexual side of things) and I doubt his comments weren't wrong. Just look at this comments own forums. Pair a female with a female and it's all the love. Pair a male with a male and it gets lots of mehs.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

On that note, I'll probably go to my grave maintaining that Zii with Didi makes little sense.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm
Possibly. Gary does bend over backwards for his friends. And encouragement and the possibility of 'making it bigtime' can be motivators to put in a little midnight oil.

As the name of the comic strip suggests, it is still Menage a 3, just with the change in venue to the comic shop instead of Gary's apartment. Of course I could be entirely wrong and the story could evolve into "PTC: The Search for Zadie's roommate"... if Ruby's overshadowing of SDB recurs.
But Gary has grown a spine and is now more assertive. Gary will probably show up in this comic but only as a satellite character because his story is complete. He got his dream job and a steady girlfriend. I myself wouldn't mind if Ruby becomes a substantial character in this comic but I'm thinking this comic is going to focus mostly on Zadie, Ramona, and maybe one more new character that will be the artist for the comics they are going to publish.

Eleithrit

Post by Eleithrit »

I hate this character with every fiber of my being

SailorDh

Post by SailorDh »

I know this is just getting started, but I just cannot get into this.
I'm already bored....

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

samtheman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 am
But Gary has grown a spine and is now more assertive.
There's a difference between being a doormat, and 'going the extra mile' for a friend. I was meaning that Gary would help a friend, not be taken advantage of.
Gary will probably show up in this comic but only as a satellite character because his story is complete. He got his dream job and a steady girlfriend. I myself wouldn't mind if Ruby becomes a substantial character in this comic but I'm thinking this comic is going to focus mostly on Zadie, Ramona, and maybe one more new character that will be the artist for the comics they are going to publish.
I agree. I don't expect Gary to be needing much, if anything, from the PTC iteration. If he does contribute material for the publishing arm of the PTC store, since he has his shit together, he/his work can be a decent foundation... to allow hijinks to bounce off of the less developed artists/artwork.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.