Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

PTC 02-05-19 You want to keep your job

Post by Giz »

worldshaking00

Re: PTC 02-05-19 You want to keep your job

Post by worldshaking00 »

The sad truth about comic shops closing creeps in.

Is that something we can expect in the actual Pixie Trix online store - logo mugs? Or as an add-on for a future Kickstarter?

Not that it should be too much of a surprise, but we can gather that Zadie likes coffee, unlike how Gary first started off. A small character reveal, considering the percentage of the population who does drink coffee; but, a reveal nonetheless. She might have been a tea snob. Zadie also recomposed herself well enough after discovering her soon-to-be-ex cheating on her. So despite her goth-like appearance, she isn't a depressing person or one who is focusing on bleak existentialism or crumby things happening in her life.

And speaking of revealing, Aaron is still in his get up. But his 'job' was for store credit and not cash/a pay check. Is he actually on Jung's payroll? I gather he's not, and Jung was meaning 'his job' as just being able to hang out at the comic shop and get some free swag for suffering Jung's creative side.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I suspected that Zadie was using crocodile tears, and the fact she so quickly recovered seems to support that notion; perhaps she is merely adaptable, and gaining a job provided a distraction from genuine sadness, although I find that unlikely.
Hopefully Ramona was going to hire Zadie anyway, otherwise it'd be annoying if emotionally manipulative behaviour was rewarded, rather than overlooked due to need for employees.

Aaron appears to be annoying tagalong character, so perhaps there will be an arc that makes his character less obnoxious? Or maybe he will just be the Snarf/Jar Jar of the series. Aha

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am
And speaking of revealing, Aaron is still in his get up. But his 'job' was for store credit and not cash/a pay check. Is he actually on Jung's payroll? I gather he's not, and Jung was meaning 'his job' as just being able to hang out at the comic shop and get some free swag for suffering Jung's creative side.
I assume that Aaron has a regular job as an assistant in the shop, with a regular paycheque in Canadian dollars. Wearing that costume is an additional duty, for which he receives additional remuneration in store credit.

Anyhow, nitpicks:

1. Adding an extra window to a room sounds like rather a large task. Even if you’ve got an outside wall, you’ll need to get a builder in to knock an opening through for it, fit a lintel, and then install the actual window. Then you need to make good and redecorate. Not a cheap task or one to be undertaken on a whim — I doubt that Canadian walls tend to be flimsy. (A skylight might be easier, if you have a roof to work with.) There might even be planning law implications. And we have to assume that the shop premises are owned, not leased. All possibly justified given the change of use of the room, but still — suspension of disbelief going “twang” a bit.

2. What is Jung’s business position in relation to the shop? I’m sure that Ma3 made reference to off-screen owners, making him just a manager. Now, however, he’s setting up an offshoot business, considering remodelling the building, and looking at selling coffee. (And how much paperwork does that add? Food and drink sales tend to involve legal issues that other retail businesses avoid.) Suddenly he looks more like the owner himself.

3. What, the shop doesn’t sell geeky logo mugs already?

Anyhow — okay, Zadie may be a bit manipulative, but she’s perky, and her ideas mostly seem quite good. Aaron, meanwhile, continues to be, not only an annoying dork, but an easily manipulated dork. Fine. But, while I do know that we’re only a few strips in, we’re not seeing much in the way of new reveals here. I’m looking forward to some plot.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 pm
Anyhow, nitpicks:

1. Adding an extra window to a room sounds like rather a large task. Even if you’ve got an outside wall, you’ll need to get a builder in to knock an opening through for it, fit a lintel, and then install the actual window. Then you need to make good and redecorate. Not a cheap task or one to be undertaken on a whim — I doubt that Canadian walls tend to be flimsy. (A skylight might be easier, if you have a roof to work with.) There might even be planning law implications. And we have to assume that the shop premises are owned, not leased. All possibly justified given the change of use of the room, but still — suspension of disbelief going “twang” a bit.

2. What is Jung’s business position in relation to the shop? I’m sure that Ma3 made reference to off-screen owners, making him just a manager. Now, however, he’s setting up an offshoot business, considering remodelling the building, and looking at selling coffee. (And how much paperwork does that add? Food and drink sales tend to involve legal issues that other retail businesses avoid.) Suddenly he looks more like the owner himself.

3. What, the shop doesn’t sell geeky logo mugs already?

Anyhow — okay, Zadie may be a bit manipulative, but she’s perky, and her ideas mostly seem quite good. Aaron, meanwhile, continues to be, not only an annoying dork, but an easily manipulated dork. Fine. But, while I do know that we’re only a few strips in, we’re not seeing much in the way of new reveals here. I’m looking forward to some plot.
1. Agreed. It would be easier to set up a coffee corner than install a window unless there were preexisting windows covered up with plywood. Of course not knowing all the details it's possible that the coffee corner doesn't include a barrista, but just a coffee maker.

2. Well we've spent so much time focused on DiDi, Gary, and Zii that Jung might've moved up in the world and we just didn't know it.

3. Jung might've had other priorities.

I think Zadie will be a good addition, but I wonder if they plan on hiring anyone else or if we'll soon meet the other employees. Fingers crossed on some familiar faces.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Re: Jung's upgrade to shop "owner". I've personally know of one manager who became a co-owner, then bought the comic shop outright from his former boss, so that's legit. I can see Ramona encouraging Jung to make the leap and probably cosigned on the business loan. This most likely happened recently and now they're gearing up to make the changes that they couldn't under old ownership.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I guess we're getting through the slow but necessary basic introductions to a proper plot, and that's nice, but for the love of God could we please get Aaron out of that outfit by the next time we see him, please? He looks ridiculous, and not in a funny way, just plain old ridiculous. I thought we were past the point of retrograde "Men in women's clothing look funny" jokes, but apparently not.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:29 pm
I think Zadie will be a good addition, but I wonder if they plan on hiring anyone else or if we'll soon meet the other employees. Fingers crossed on some familiar faces.
The rather obvious inclusions are Ruby (actually has formal training in business skills, Ramona and Jung would be idiots if they're not at least trying to pick her brain on a casual basis) and Gary and Yuki (a new comics publishing outfit needs comics to publish, and those two were working on one). I wouldn't (logically) expect many more actual employees, though; a new operation really doesn't want to over-inflate its wages bill too much.
Lokitsu wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 pm
Re: Jung's upgrade to shop "owner". I've personally know of one manager who became a co-owner, then bought the comic shop outright from his former boss, so that's legit.
Okay, I'll accept that for the sake of the story if nothing else.
Lokitsu wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 pm
I can see Ramona encouraging Jung to make the leap and probably cosigned on the business loan. This most likely happened recently and now they're gearing up to make the changes that they couldn't under old ownership.
Fair enough, but if they took out a loan on a business that they know full well is in a very failure-prone, contracting industry, they must have sweet-talked the bank manager very convincingly, and I can imagine Ruby face-palming at the whole idea...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

What happened Zadie's lipstick in the second panel?

And it's nice to see Zadie focus on her new job to take her mind off her heartbreak. I do wonder if she'll get someone else to move in with her to help pay the rent. A friend of hers that she went to university with perhaps? Maybe a younger sister like with Ruby to Amber? Time to wait five days again for more plot to happen.

Alice Macher

Post by Alice Macher »

So far, so good. I don't mind the relatively quiet start to the comic. It seems this is going to be more like Sticky Dilly Buns than most of the other comics under the PT umbrella, in that it's more character-driven and (Aaron's reluctant cross-dressing aside) less focussed on wacky hijinx, sexual or otherwise.

Zadie may have shown signs of manipulativeness in the last comic, but this update makes it clear she has some business savvy as well, that she's useful to have around.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

^ That's a good point, actually. I hope they continue that trend, because some comics I won't name relied on wacky hijinx, sexual especially, to the inevitable detriment of characters across the board.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

Zadie needs a new roommate. Does Ruby need a place a little more detached from her employers/sister?

Jung could own the store, and someone else (Giz, Dave &T ?) own the name 'Pixie Trix Comix' in a franchise deal.

brasca

Post by brasca »

OldBrit wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:58 am
Zadie needs a new roommate. Does Ruby need a place a little more detached from her employers/sister?

Jung could own the store, and someone else (Giz, Dave &T ?) own the name 'Pixie Trix Comix' in a franchise deal.
If Ruby has an active sex life now she'd definitely want a room of her own so I can see this happening.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

OldBrit wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:58 am
I didn't think of that and that would be the easiest and most logical way of bringing Ruby into this comic. But other characters from the Ma3verse have been out of the picture for much longer than Ruby and it would be nice to see them again even if it's just a cameo or a day in the limelight.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

Aaron is a weirdo. What's his angle? What's he hiding? Which aspects of his personality are real, and which ones are affectations, designed to throw people off the scent of his true sinister motives?
**== **== **== **==