PTC 16-04-19 You seem credible

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

worldshaking00

Re: PTC 16-04-19 You seem credible

Post by worldshaking00 »

Sigh indeed. I guess we have to get into her head space then, on what she was to be expecting at the comic shop. Expecting bloody realism out of every action from a character in a comedy is not a good idea. I expect some - as should we all - since the characters are human and as such should have human behaviors. The comedy factor of exaggeration and the particular emphasis placed into the personality of a particular character/caricature/stereotype is where this new character is needing to be better defined by the creative team to us readers. Obviously after two strips we know very little, which is fine even though I was hoping for a bit more of an 'oomph' for this new strip's birth.

Fine. The geek Aaron doesn't understand what might get him hurt. He feels the compulsion to explain himself in order to save face. He is probably suffering from a form of 'deer in headlights' syndrome too. Boring or not, I don't think he is being malicious in denying her egress. Unceremoniously making himself out to be a spaz-geek... total success. If Zadie doesn't suffer from Didi-levels of lack of human empathy, she should be able to realize that this guy dressed in a magical girl outfit is embarrassed and is trying to appear more dignified.

As far as "apart from," lots of people take jobs precisely and only for that reason. We don't know if this is a job that Zadie might have a passion for. Or maybe she will learn to like it. If she is just there to pay the bills, she might be depicted as a completely straight deadpan character replete with thought bubbles of disgust at her customers' geekery. Or maybe she just needs to warm up to the regulars. I assume that Giz will want to keep her around since she just got introduced. But we really know nothing about her. I'm also not saying that Zadie will make being "counter candy" a career, but we don't know what the job description Zadie referenced to get the interview listed as occupational duties. And that is why I placed the "apart from" in my post - is there passion or just a paycheck.

As to my crossdressing geek experience, I'll admit it is a mixed bag. I've met many such folks who are pretty cool with it, others who only like the cosplay when it is done well or if it makes a point/artistic flare, and others who act like douche bags/bullies because they themselves have poor self-esteem and feel the need to belittle others in order to make themselves feel better. I think that in my neck of the woods, people are more accepting nowadays.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

WizzarTheRed

Post by WizzarTheRed »

Exploiting the desperation of nerds. Is there any problem it can't solve?

SailorDh

Post by SailorDh »

Odd how this strip didn't rate it's own board...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Now it's Zadie's turn to tumble down the rabbit hole.

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

Badman! wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm
I don't know why, but I feel Zadie is a actually a guy...
Would a crossdresser be weirded out at the sight of another "crossdresser"?

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

UnsightlyWalrus wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:58 am
Badman! wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:39 pm
I don't know why, but I feel Zadie is a actually a guy...
Would a crossdresser be weirded out at the sight of another "crossdresser"?
It could be one of those situations in which "it takes an X to find an X," that is, perhaps - if Zadie is actually a guy - he is worried his cover would be seen through by another transvestite?
Transvestite or not, it could just be that Zadie is unfamiliar with such *unique* fashion sense. She (assuming "she" until shown otherwise) is just there for a job - superficially, a comic book store is simply retail, so perhaps she was prepared for a job interview, but isn't aware of the more quirky aspects that can come with fandom, thus is reacting as many would upon finding the sight of a magical girl man inexplicably appear at a place of business.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

SailorDh wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 am
Odd how this strip didn't rate it's own board...
There's a total reorganisation coming soon, so until that happens it's much easier to continue in the MA3 slot.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Quite an impressive bit of detail put into the store scene, especially in panel 4 with four separate, uniquely designed characters situated at different dimensions of the store. Plus, prior to that, there is a good sense of Aaron's frenetic attempts at explaining his odd attire.

I'm also lightly entertaining the theory that Zadie could be a transvestite. Upon closing inspection, her face is somewhat androgynous, but borders to vaguely masculine. I had thought her hair was following a similar two-tone style that Zii had, but it could actually be a wig; her unusually thick make-up is another thing that supports the tranvestite theory. There have been no shortage of individuals that vary along the spectrum of gender, but there hasn't been a *straight up* transvestite before, which is another reason why it could be the case here, in that, something new for the new character. Crossdressing has happened a lot, however, it was done for disguises or sexual activities, never as general choice/fashion/way of being.
Then again, could all be grasping at straws - still, it was something to comment on.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Aaaand the fans are latching on like rabid terriers to an idea when its originator freely says that there is no supporting evidence for it.

(Agreed about the reliably excellent Giz art, by the way.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

jish55 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:21 pm
Interesting so far, but was hoping that we'd get introduced to this new series the way we were introduced to MA3 (not the same way, but at least give us a little backstory and context for the new main character). Other than that, will wait and see how I feel about this character.
Well, it’s not the most enthralling or original of starts, but to be fair, it’s not actually bad, and it sets a few things up. It starts with a joke (Aaron in a miniskirt), and a new character (Zadie) to catch the attention of old Ma3 fans, then feeds in two more characters who are reassuring to Ma3 fans while introducing them for new readers — Jung being a smartass and, in a minor way, a jerk, Ramona being a voice of reason who’s still comfortable in this milieu. It also avoids the problem of starting with an info dump, but probably sets up for one; if the next couple of strips show Zadie’s job interview, the comic has an excellent excuse for her to tell us all about herself.

So it’s kind of a slick start, if not wildly off the wall.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.