Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Fluffy

Re: PTC 11-04-19 The job listing

Post by Fluffy »

vampire hunter D wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 am
Izzy is blonde though
And currently on tour with Zii, Angel and the drummer dude.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Not stated to be. She admitted that she’s not a good enough guitarist (“yet”), and suggested that Zii join Angel’s band. The other guitarist in that band is the nameless guy who sometimes appears next to Angel.

Given her age (18), I’d imagine that Izzy may still be in education, rather than being a roadie or a groupie.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

My word. A new comic so soon! ^_^
Zadie's very sparkly, isn't she?

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

We also don’t know whether a time lapse between the end of Ma3 and the start of this comic has occurred. Zii’s tour might have ended months or even years ago for all we know.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

However, I’d guess not — or at least not years. “Zii has gone off on tour” is a good excuse for the shop to be recruiting new staff, and hence for Zadie (or whoever) to be introduced. Also, whoever’s writing this (we don’t actually have detailed credits yet, though this strip is copyright Giz alone, so I guess it’s likely a solo project) may want to carry over one or two plot threads from the old comics. And Aaron doesn’t look much older than his 2010 self.

Though Ma3 universe time is wobbly and elastic at best.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:48 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 pm
Aaron has been a background customer or maybe another employee at the store a few times before.
Star of the Overlord plot thread. Significant geek cred in his own right.
Zadie's design is so unique (not to mention her name) that it seems like she will be one of the leads. I quite like the design - maybe has a minor Goth or one of those subculture influences, which I'm admittedly guessing because her eyeliner seems kind of thicker than usually seen on characters, her hair (not just the dye, but the style, too), her mostly dark/black attire, and the pendant she is wearing.
A few dark clothes, a crescent pendant, and a bit of makeup, do not a hardcore goth make. So far, she looks to me like a presentable young woman with a tiny bit of personal style. Predictably Giz-gorgeous, though, for sure.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:19 pm
My initial guess is that it may be a modified version of "Sadie."
Another possibility being it is her actual name that happened because her parents were eccentric?
Or they’re Zadie Smith fans?
Hence, "minor Goth or... subculture influences." There is probably some special term like *dark chic* but unfortunately I'm ignorant on the naming conventions in fashion, so used a term that her style was vaguely reminiscent of, even if it was a stretch.

I hadn't heard of Zadie Smith before, so that could quite possibly be the case, nevertheless, it suggests a bit of eccentricity in the parents if they named her that, like if Game of Thrones fans gave their kids an "R.R." middle name. Though, her name could just be an Easter egg with no significance beyond a reference.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I suspect that Giz just likes giving her characters — the women especially — very slightly quirky names; Zii, DiDi, Amber & Ruby... It makes them stand out and be a little bit memorable, reduces the risk of accidental duplication, and adds a tiny bit of whimsical charm.
---------
Spidrift