Milnoc

Re: 02-04-19 You want to be with me

Post by Milnoc »

:x :x :x

Loved the disclaimer! :))

jish55

Post by jish55 »

Honestly, this would have been a perfect way to end the comic, it ends on a high note, finishes up the main plots, and isn't throwing in more complications and side stories.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

It's why I put the note. Couple things to touch on, and it's a wrap. And then an announcement for the next project AND the Kickstarter. :)

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Ready since day one? Perhaps not, but who am I to split hairs over a rather sweet line.

Enjoyable little conversation that displays an uncommonly healthy relationship in the strip, aha; I appreciate the nuances enhanced by the art, as they gradually get closer, Gary's expressions are his characteristic dorkiness yet with sincerity that he has developed over time, and Peggy's stunning face showing her bemused affection and in panels 3 and 4 her loving gaze.

We all know Giz can bring the sexy in the art, but what is often overlooked (maybe by myself included) is the emotional beauty she can bring to a scene. This scene epitomises the sweetest and most heartfelt exchange arguably ever seen throughout the series, so seriously major kudos for it!

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

jish55 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:19 am
Honestly, this would have been a perfect way to end the comic, it ends on a high note, finishes up the main plots, and isn't throwing in more complications and side stories.
I agree. Maybe not so much on "perfect" due to the other plotlines unrelated to this one, but if this to be the conclusion with Gary and Peggy for now, I'm okay with it, in fact, rather like it (in spite of my preference for characters to remain single). Still, it is a lovely high note.

I'd enjoy seeing more one shots and what if stories, too.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

That was really sweet.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Just popping in to say I love this conclusion for Gary and Peggy. Question is, who's going to end up with Eulice?
FIRRIB

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

Milnoc wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:12 am
:x :x :x

Loved the disclaimer! :))
Ditto, although I agree with Jish that it would be a great way to have ended it in and of itself, there does feel like one or two things can be (not have to be) wrapped up 'on screen' and for all the haste that has gone into having to drive this comic to its end in the way it has, I think a certain amount of savouring 'the ending walk down the aisle' (figuratively not literally, though I wouldn't complain if there was a wedding in all this) would be nice, such as when Cassandra Wedeking passed on drawing DC to Jason, there was the walking off into the sunset together before her farewell page.

brasca

Post by brasca »

sukebe senpai wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:42 am
Just popping in to say I love this conclusion for Gary and Peggy. Question is, who's going to end up with Eulice?
Ilsa, but they might be one and the same.

I love this ending and hope some of the characters we haven’t seen in awhile (Kiley) get a happy ending.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

I would like to thank the writer and artist for their restraint in making this strip. Ending this strip with yet another image of Peggy pegging Gary would have made my eyes roll and ruined this special moment. Hell, ending on any kind of punchline would have undermined the sincerity of this strip.

So for that, I thank you.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Okay, going for the "Daw" ending to Gary's story, then. Fair enough.

I don't see this as all that natural an ending to the whole comic, though. I mean, if it had been the last strip, it wouldn't have been stupid, and I'd have accepted it and got ready to back the Kickstarter. But Ménage à 3 was never just Gary's story. Hell, for a long time I was referring to him as the howling void at the heart of the comic; its biggest problem was that he was central to it but also the least interesting thing in it. Giz and Dave eventually (eventually) resolved that with an emergency spine transplant, but even after that, there were other, more interesting things going on.

It's not even the case that the comic is just about the Household of Three, else this would work as an ending because DiDi and Zii have already been given their own ending (of a sort mumble mumble). The fact is, though, that Giz and Dave's slightly undisciplined writing style has brought in any number of secondary characters who threatened to drag the spotlight away from the leads. And while none of them have actually hijacked the comic the way that Ruby hijacked Sticky Dilly Buns, and nor has the comic turned into quite such a sprawling chaos as Sandra on the Rocks, they're many of them people we want to know a bit more about. Some of them (the wrestling crew, Matt, Yuki, Vyndicator...) have been given endings, some haven't (Tracy and James for a start), and some have been given slightly hurried conclusions and might or might not be dragged back in for a curtain call (Kiley and Sonya, notably). But that's not really the point.

This has been a comic about a whole crowd of people, centred on the Household of Three. So an ending that's all about just one person and his late-in-the-day significant other would get the tone slightly wrong. We need more of a life-goes-on sort of conclusion, with guest pop-ups and phone calls from Europe and snarky comments from Jung -- and with any luck we'll get at least some of that. And then, any follow-up or spin-off stories will be all the more satisfactory, because they're a natural consequence of the ending.

(And yes, Giz and Dave are already allowing for such follow-ons. See that line in panel 3 about this possibly being an open relationship and possibly not? That says to me that the writers are the ones who have to talk about that. So if Gary and Peggy appear in follow-up stories, they may be cheerfully monogamous or they may be having wild nights in with Matt and Yuki. Whatever works. It's Schrodinger's Relationship.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Jackass Mask

Post by Jackass Mask »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:41 am
And while none of them have actually hijacked the comic the way that Ruby hijacked Sticky Dilly Buns, and nor has the comic turned into quite such a sprawling chaos as Sandra on the Rocks,
The wrestling stuff I think came dangerously close to this a few times. It would be long stretches of only the wrestling arc characters, without even Didi around, for sometimes almost unbearable stretches. Alot of stuff seemed to get put on the back burner when wrestling came in.

brasca

Post by brasca »

First Chloe and Teddy and now Gary and Peggy. The only way people could squee any louder is if Cammi busts in and Sandra rides off with her.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17661&start=30#p604229

Looks like I called the Big Damn Kiss moment. Now will the rest of my prediction come true regarding the bookend with Gary and Peggy in bed together? Will they invite a third person into their bed? I'm thinking we have one maybe two more updates before it wraps up.

And I'm hoping Kiley shows up in the next project since it is also taking place in the Ma3verse but I'm thinking the next project is going to focus on Ramona since Giz mentioned on Twitter that she has plans for Ramona. We'll find out in a few weeks won't we?