Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

19-03-19 A little rough honey

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 19-03-19 A little rough honey

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I can’t say I care for any of this development. It just keeps going on this path of, to me, least satisfaction. I was okay seeing where it would go, yet now it seems like the least pleasant destination is being made inevitable. Though, it isn’t over until it’s over, I suppose...
Also, it is gross that Matt and Yuki are a thing at all; I know I’ve said it before, so pardon the repetition. It just doesn’t make narrative sense. One could argue, what is narrative sense in a romcom anyway? Perhaps, but I still dispute the pairing - it undermines Yuki’s development and character, plus anything turning out well for Matt is a gutpunch to karma. We already have Zii for that, so another Karma Houdini is extra tedious...

Adrien is apparently a “natural” at this genre as his life is so unimportant that he could just drop everything immediately to hurry over to an anonymous hook up. Since Sonya was paired off with that new spy character, it would be an unfortunate turn of events if Peggy ended up with this other new character. Granted, she is still hellbent on a superficial hook up, despite it evidently taking nearly an entire day longer than her initial impulsive drive seemed prepared for, so another arbitrary coupling may be unlikely in this case.
Still though, getting blind drunk, then travelling who knows how far across town - enough time to sober up - Peggy is still focused on some hollow hook up, so while I can’t condone her actions, I guess some credit is due for determination? I mean, it sucks it is in service of something that is undermining her established character of being good natured and intelligent (she may have been showing cunning in this search, but it is by no means intelligence).

*Edit* Also, I once commented that Matt was enabling Yuki’s disorder, and that is seen in full effect here. It doesn’t come across as endearing when he says he loves her for her violent sexual behaviour, it is a bizarre confession that doesn’t seem to be picked up by Yuki, as all she hears is “love.” What was once a crippling psychological malady that a large part of her arc was about overcoming is now *accepted* because it fulfils some narcissistic deviant’s kinks? Seriously hope that this isn’t the end of her character...
Last edited by OllieOrOlly on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maniax

Post by Maniax »

If the purpose of this whole Peggy storyline was to make her as unlikable as possible, then congrats, mission accomplished, as far as I'm concerned.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Adrienne? Haven’t seen him in a long time. No tag and no time to look.

RantingRodent

Post by RantingRodent »

I'm confused about why there's so much hate for this arc.

Peggy's having a pretty common commitment-phobia reaction and is trying to work that out by doing something that's...entirely within the ground rules established for her current relationship with Gary? She's not doing anything wrong aside from having a bit of an identity crisis because she could almost see herself agreeing to something that's completely counter to her usual self-image.

What's so awful about this? I don't get it.

I don't think she's actually going to GET what she's been looking for over the last several comics, because I can't figure out a satisfying ending so few pages after she does, but if this was the middle of MA3, actually finding some random sex and then gaining insight when she feels unsatisfied afterwards would be a pretty unremarkable way to resolve this.

Further, why does everyone keep talking about how this night is going to somehow spell the end of her relationship with Gary? It's not like she reacted by calling him up and saying it's over, a pretty damn common reaction in and of itself in this situation, and from Gary's side he's already said he's fine with no commitment between them, he'll just always be looking for something more and this will end once he finds it. (Unless I'm remembering wrong)

Few of the ingredients seems to be in place for any of the scenarios people keep inventing and then getting mad about. Her and Gary ending up together has so many sign posts pointing at it, it will almost be disappointing when and if it happens.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don't sweat it, RR. Some people on these boards are evidently still running some weird and deeply boring and repetitive combination of hatred for Matt and perverse identification with Gary, and can't accept the idea that Peggy is just working through some emotional problems in a fairly Ma3-typical (if wacky) way. They'll just shut up when enough of their predictions prove wrong, until they find something else to whinge about. Which admittedly won't take long with some of them.

Anyhow, that said... Well, my prediction that we'd see that Peggy was Out Of There has proved incorrect, apparently because G&D wanted to bring Adrien (who is male, and therefore not "Adrienne", godelpus) back for his last hurrah. I'm not sure why, as he was never that much of a character, and some of us hoped that he'd just found love with Sophie. (For those who need the help: Adrien's previous appearances -- don't miss the second page there.) But perhaps there'll be some point to this shown on Thursday.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

(Oh, and let us also acknowledge and admire Peggy’s little snark in panel 2.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Mordhaus

Post by Mordhaus »

There is clear cause for people being upset about this arc. Peggy has long been one of the sole voices of reason in this comic and she is acting completely out of character. You can say this is because of a fear of commitment, but her actions are destructive. She is looking to bang ANY FUCKING BREATHING HUMAN BEING to prove she doesn't need to be in an exclusive relationship. That is vile and narcissistic, something that she has never shown as being part of her character.

I, for one, would be worried AF about being in a long term relationship with someone acting this way. What happens when she gets her first touch of grey or can't lose that 10 pounds to fit into her old clothes, does she revert back to this mode so she can prove to herself that she still has 'it'? It just doesn't make sense, especially since the comic is about to wrap up. This is something that should have been addressed earlier.

That said, if she does fuck up her relationship and Gary ends up with someone else, so be it. It just sucks for some of us who admired her level headed outlook and character.
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comic on the Internet.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Lmao at the last panel. And once again I don't understand why people are upset over this development. It's just Ma3 returning to form nothing more.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I just want to get to the end of this drama in Peggy's life, or at least to the part where she communicates with Gary whatever her intentions are. Or, we get to the surprise curve ball of Gary banging another woman over his drawing table. I don't enjoy seeing Peggy self-destruct, and I never liked Matt/Yuki. In fact, it appears that Adrien was in a sexual encounter with Matt & Yuki. Experimentation or more of Matt's kinks? Is he taking advantage of her gullibility to keep having dangerous sex?

To quote Matthew Mercer, "is it Thursday yet?"
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Experimentation is one of Matt’s (comedy) kinks. And of course he’s having (comedy) dangerous sex. He’s having (comedy) sex with Yuki.

In Ma3. Which is a comedy.
---------
Spidrift

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Agreed with Spidrift. This is a sex comedy that is simply returning to form near the end. We only have 6-7 more strips at most so I'm not expecting a "curve ball" anymore. And Giz finally answering my question if Kiley is going to return before the end with a "hopefully" tells me Kiley is probably not returning but I'll keep reading until the end anyway because why not? The comic has been rather funny to me for the last few strips.

And I read on the creative team's Twitter feed a few days ago that "there's somethin' comin' set in the Ma3verse" so yeah we're definitely getting a sequel or follow-up or another spinoff. Maybe it will take place six months later after Zii returns from her band tour. Maybe they can call the new comic Ma3: Endgame or Ma3: Post Crisis.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Wait...did I miss/forget something? Since when was Adrian into pegging? Last time I remember seeing Adrian was after his night with Zii and Erik, hooking up with Didi for a quickie in order to re-affirm his heterosexuality.

The only one I can remember knowing Matt and loving being pegged by women was Sonya's ex, Jake.

Edit: nevermind; it seems like a Matt/Yuki/Adrian hookup happened off screen. The question is, why? Unless this all happened in a bonus strip (via the printed comics) last we saw of Adrian, he was pretty freaked out at having had a sexual encounter that involved another man, and I have a very hard time believing that Matt is that good looking/charismatic to convince Adrian into having another MMF threeway - this time, allowing the woman (Yuki) to bang him with a strap on. 8-|

Personally speaking - it would have made more sense for this guy Matt rung up to be Sonya's ex; who was into open relationships, knew who Matt was and thoroughly enjoyed being pegged.
Last edited by Fluffy on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

I still absolutely hate Matt and Yuki. Matt+anyone is just a hate sink for me. and Yuki (gary, kiley.) was (were) my favorite characters for a long time and this just seems like a crap end for her (them). I hated when Kiley was in some weird thing with him too. Kiley is about the only characters whose end i s orta like, in that she saw her situation and removed herself from it. (but i also never agreed with her strange policy of therapy that kind of got out of her control)

I'd like to see more of Kiley, but I also don't want her to get dragged back into insanity. Well unless she's there to talk to Yuki. If Yuki ultimately w ants this situation well thats that. but if she's just tunnel visioned and needs her old best friend as an anchor to self look at herself then that'd be a reason for kiley.

(still sorta want Gary, and Kiley, to ultimately be "single" as both have stated goals but seem to get l ost in the sexy shuffle)
===========================-----------===========
I still don't see this as especially destructive of Peggy.Lets see
A) drinking a ton.
Yup. She's done that before (everyone but Gary I think?) Peggy likes drinks after work. She, and the two originals all chose-while sober-to drink more and bangarang together.
B) sex. she wants sex. (not with Gary-tonight-we have no statements about the long term yet)
Yup, not that weird. She has been stated to have had nights like this before she and gary went FWB. She chose to go drinking and have messy sex. Same way she chose to drink up and bang her college roomy. or (not drink as much) and peg/bang Gary the first few times. Matt is a scumbag. but he's an easy lay as far as she remembers-and a decent one at it- and medically safe (apparently). If you're just using him for dickstick matt isn't that harmful as far as she has experienced.
C) she went out specifically to have sex. It was her entire goal for the night.
How is this any different than when she was going to bars for one night stands before--and during her FWB situation? Because Gary confessed something? That has nothing to do with her actions in particular. Their current relationship already included a understood agreement that it was mutually beneficial, non restrictive. Gary offered an alternative but also stated he was fine with how things were. Their current situation is still the same FWB. Until she or Gary state otherwise.
D) the "open target" of sex
Not seeing how that is different than any other "bar troll for sex." Your own moral compass might be against it (I find it weird myself. but I'm also super single and don't like people much so I am biased). but Peggy's own moral compass has never been. I honestly can not remember and find said comic. But I"m pretty sure her and Gary's first meetings were a result of this sort of situation. (except she was coming off of emotional damage instead of searching for what she wants in life)
E) extra on gary
Not like we don't know that Gary is aware of their situation. They were discussing how he was about to make a play for Zii before they (peggy and dd), literally during their boning and right before his confession that he would be okay with more.
F) extra note on context
and just to note. he didn't declare his love for her or anything of the sort. He simply told her, he would be okay with a romantic-with a goal- relationship with her. He didn't up and confess his undying love. he didn't tell her he wanted to change the relationship. Gary just told her he's fine with more if she wants it. (sure he may have or may not have meant love etc but said it in a Gary-ish shy way. but that doesn't change what he actually said)

It is perfectly fine if folks are super annoyed/angry that their ship is adrift/rocky area. but none of this makes her any less moral/sane/not comically weird/romcom stupid. The main difference is that, up until now, we've only seen her sexual activities from the lens of other characters, and now we're seeing her go through it. Gary's confession that he's fine with more if she wants-in no way- means she has to put her lifestyle on hold. More so, because this is in part, a way that she is comparing the two life styles she has in front of her-and her own fear (from long term emotional damage) of connecting emotionally a gain.

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/that-sounds-like-you and the next 2 pages. Gary basically wanted to say it -to say it. Fine with more if she wants. Further, it came directly after her statement about denying sexual freedom is bad etc. And. directly after her statement about her previous harmful relationship. And of course. directly after talking about him and Zii's potential almost fling-talked about during sex and right before the other topics.

--all of that said. I do feel it is taking an odd amount of pages. Unless the next one skips to SDBs or the next day's situations/thoughts.
but I fully acknowledge that I feel that way because this is no longer a "comedy comic" for me and its now a "dramedy story comic" where I read for the character's ending situations rather than the laughs/sexy bits.
Though honestly I still laugh at several bits. Like today's punchline. I like snark punchlines.

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

Mordhaus wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:22 pm
There is clear cause for people being upset about this arc. Peggy has long been one of the sole voices of reason in this comic and she is acting completely out of character. You can say this is because of a fear of commitment, but her actions are destructive. She is looking to bang ANY FUCKING BREATHING HUMAN BEING to prove she doesn't need to be in an exclusive relationship. That is vile and narcissistic, something that she has never shown as being part of her character.

I, for one, would be worried AF about being in a long term relationship with someone acting this way...
So what if she’s looking to bang ANY FUCKING BREATHING HUMAN BEING—which she’s not. She’s looking to bang any consenting adult and who is informed about her desire for casual sex. In fact, as far as casual sex goes, this is the absolute best way to go about it. She’s not lying. She’s not promising romance or love or a relationship. She’s not in a monogamous relationship so she’s not cheating. She’s not being vile or narcissistic—how do you even come to that conclusion? Yes, she’s trying to figure something out, which is about her, but she’s not hurting anyone to do it. Gary already knows they’re in a relationship that allows them BOTH sexual freedom.

As for being worried AF about being in a long term relationship with someone acting this way, no worries. She’s not in a long term relationship.