07-03-19 I want to fool around

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

lordoffiling

Re: 07-03-19 I want to fool around

Post by lordoffiling »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:04 pm
I did wonder if Yuki will manage one last berserk fugue, at Peggy’s expense. But I think that it’s more likely that Peggy is going to be exposed to another happy (if in this case deranged) couple, to rub it in for her that she’s out of sync with the mood of the comic.
Mhm. We *might* be setting up the thing I was talking about before that ultimately results in Peggy realizing that ‘getting serious’ doesn’t necessarily mean the fun is over. Like, maybe she’ll witness Yuki and Matt and realize they’re still having fun?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:52 pm
Swiftwinged Doom wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:16 pm
Aside from a penchant for violent sex and his apparent enjoyment of her cooking what the F**K do these 2 actually have in common!?
Successful marriages have been built on less.
I guess, depending if you have a versatile definition of "successful." :))

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Zellgato wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:02 am
Random question.
How is this adventure of her's any different than when she met up with her Uni friend, with the intention on both sides to bangarang?
On a personal level. I still prefer the "single Gary, focusing on being happy and enjoying his job/ or brand new webcomic based on all these shanangans he starts(cause meta jokes)" idea line.
(and I persanally am sad over where Yuki's character went in the end)
I suppose a difference is intent. Peggy and Gary were at a stage when neither had indicated any desire nor plan for a serious commitment, thus Peggy was merely enjoying one of the "privileges" of a friend with benefits, which is being okay to hook up with other people.
Later, Gary served the proverbial ball into her court by indicating he does have an interest to something more serious with Peggy - although, it was only an interest, it seemed enough to terrify Peggy.
Unlike before, here Peggy is drunk and looking for ANY feasible bang, and not some sentimental reunion sex with a former girlfriend. Peggy is afraid of commitment for whatever reason, and instead of looking for a hook up just because it is *allowed*, she is looking for one to forget Gary even exists. Since her first choice backfired, she is resorting to Matt, who she knows Gary has an uncomfortable history with, thus showing her intent is no longer just self-serving, it is possibly damaging to the relationship she has with Gary.

These factors can be seen as shitty by some readers because it is considerably uncharacteristic of Peggy to act in such selfish and careless manners. The behaviour is norm for some characters but since it is so unlike Peggy, the - for lack of a better word - contemptibility becomes more obvious due to contrast with her norm.

Also, I somewhat agree with your view on preferring a single Gary, except I'd expand it to more. I'd be content if some, especially some, characters ended up happily single at the end of the comic.

I'm also sad at the apparent destination of Yuki's arc - started as a sex prop for Zii, through dialogue and actions became a more interesting and likeable character, but now is back as a sex prop for the less developed male equivalent of Zii.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:56 pm
Again I ask: What is the evidence that her last relationship was "such a bad one"?
I don't think there was much, if any, evidence showing the state of Peggy's previous relationship. I guess it can be inferred that she had a wild college life, then settled down with a boyfriend; the boyfriend was vanilla, especially in comparison to what she had previously experienced. While it may not necessarily have been a *bad* relationship, it can be assumed that the boyfriend was boring or at the very least was unable to deliver satisfaction to Peggy for most of their relationship. Since it was apparently her only "serious adult" relationship, I guess in her mind, she believes monogamy would always be doomed to become stagnant and dissatisfying.
Perhaps the relationship with her boyfriend did start exciting closer to her college years, thus the fact it became tedious gives her "evidence" that monogamy dulls the passion to the point of feeling restrictive and boring. The last part is conjecture, but I think enough has been implied to support my previous statement.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 am
Since her first choice backfired, she is resorting to Matt, who she knows Gary has an uncomfortable history with, thus showing her intent is no longer just self-serving, it is possibly damaging to the relationship she has with Gary.
Actually, so far as I recall, the last time we saw Gary, Matt, and Peggy together, the guys were chatting very amiably (while two-teaming her). From her point of view, those two don’t seem to have any great issues between them. If she’s realised that Matt was a hit crappy to Gary at one point, well, she also knows that Gary is a very forgiving guy.
These factors can be seen as shitty by some readers because it is considerably uncharacteristic of Peggy to act in such selfish and careless manners.
Which is kind of the point of this whole plot arc, if those readers would just get off their high horses and think in terms of a tiny bit of character complexity. This isn’t typical Peggy behaviour, because she’s currently in emotional chaos and going through a long dark night of the soul.

Or rather, this being Ma3, a long dark night of the libido.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

I wonder what Gary is up to right now?
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

There is one question I'd ask Dave, and it is very personal so I don't expect an answer.

Dave.

Over the course if this comic, did you learn about yourself sexually?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

TheEighth wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:53 am
I wonder what Gary is up to right now?
He's probably at his apartment thinking that Peggy had to work late again. Or who knows, maybe Gary hooked up with another woman and if Peggy sees that she will be forced to make a decision instead of dodging the issue at hand. That's what I would like to see happen.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I agree with your first sentence @samtheman. I will take it a step farther and guess that he had a romantic dinner or evening planned, and will try to get back into the groove he had planned despite Peggy's tardiness... or extreme tardiness as she is carousing around town even more in her search for a threesome. She'll come to her senses and realize that Gary only wants to make her happy. Profit.

In my fanwank, I'd give bonus points to Gary if he managed to convince the unattached Kiley to participate in a threesome with Peggy, although that would be a bit of a stretch considering he is looking for something more serious with Peggy. But, we'd have the potential of a great throwback to the foursome oh so many strips ago.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

In my fanwank, I say that Kiley shows up at Matt's place for some makeup sex with him but she finds out that Yuki is with Matt now and is no longer pursuing Gary. Kiley then leaves Matt's place and goes to Gary's place before Peggy even shows up at Matt's place. Kiley shows up at Gary's place and jumps Gary. Peggy strikes out once again because she sees that Matt and Yuki are happy together so Peggy gives up and goes back to Gary's apartment but she walks in on Kiley pegging Gary on the couch and bam we have the bookend for the entire comic. :))

/fanwank

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:49 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
These factors can be seen as shitty by some readers because it is considerably uncharacteristic of Peggy to act in such selfish and careless manners.
Which is kind of the point of this whole plot arc, if those readers would just get off their high horses and think in terms of a tiny bit of character complexity. This isn’t typical Peggy behaviour, because she’s currently in emotional chaos and going through a long dark night of the soul.

Or rather, this being Ma3, a long dark night of the libido.
"High horses" is a tad judgmental, I think. Perhaps processing the plot development, but not being, or at least not trying to be, high and mighty in opinions of Peggy's emotional odyssey.
Point being, they, well, even me included, are passengers on Peggy's *flirtation with the dark side*, thus are affected by her uncharareistic turns, even if they do serve the point of the arc. We're too close to an incomplete journey, after all, so perhaps in hindsight, everyone will have passed their knee jerk reaction phases.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
I suppose a difference is intent. Peggy and Gary were at a stage when neither had indicated any desire nor plan for a serious commitment, thus Peggy was merely enjoying one of the "privileges" of a friend with benefits, which is being okay to hook up with other people.
Later, Gary served the proverbial ball into her court by indicating he does have an interest to something more serious with Peggy - although, it was only an interest, it seemed enough to terrify Peggy.
Unlike before, here Peggy is drunk and looking for ANY feasible bang, and not some sentimental reunion sex with a former girlfriend. Peggy is afraid of commitment for whatever reason, and instead of looking for a hook up just because it is *allowed*, she is looking for one to forget Gary even exists. Since her first choice backfired, she is resorting to Matt, who she knows Gary has an uncomfortable history with, thus showing her intent is no longer just self-serving, it is possibly damaging to the relationship she has with Gary.

These factors can be seen as shitty by some readers because it is considerably uncharacteristic of Peggy to act in such selfish and careless manners. The behaviour is norm for some characters but since it is so unlike Peggy, the - for lack of a better word - contemptibility becomes more obvious due to contrast with her norm.

Also, I somewhat agree with your view on preferring a single Gary, except I'd expand it to more. I'd be content if some, especially some, characters ended up happily single at the end of the comic.

I'm also sad at the apparent destination of Yuki's arc - started as a sex prop for Zii, through dialogue and actions became a more interesting and likeable character, but now is back as a sex prop for the less developed male equivalent of Zii.
Hmm I sorta guess I get that viewpoint. But I also feel like she intentionally went out to drink expressly for a one night stand. Likely because, as her inner dialogued showed she was weighing her sexual freedom+emotional freedom (not having to be concerned about anyone other than herself anymore than a normal friend level of care) vs the comfy situation expanding to require the new requirements that serious relationships have.
I think except for the "drinking a ton" this felt pretty well planned out and thought out that Peggy shows.
Guess it just feels in character to me?
-------

Yeah honestly I sorta wish plenty more characters were single. but I'm also single in real life.. and just don't feel like relationships are particularly important.
but I also realize this is a sex romcom. so like most romcoms "married" or "happily dating" are something of an end goals. Kinda like how most sitcoms end with that .
I do miss previous Yuki. She was my absolute favorite character for a very long time. Her and Gary were my favorite (honestly only enjoyed) characters. but yakno personal flavor i guess