Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

26-02-19 A deep bond

Post by Giz »

Lokitsu

Re: 26-02-19 A deep bond

Post by Lokitsu »

Aaaaannd they turn out to be pieces of shit. My faith in the (in)humanity of the MA-verse is confirmed.

VoxPopuli

Post by VoxPopuli »

"We share a deep bond, we have eachother's back, we toss eachother under the bus when it's convenient!"

Maniax

Post by Maniax »

OK, I guess Peggy's not for Gary, either. Drunk or not, she's turning into a really obnoxious character.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Unfortunately, it seems as though Jane and Vince lack restraint, or have an excess of desperation, or are merely just idiots with too much lust.
Despite being intoxicated (somewhat amusingly emphasised in the way she seems to be swaying about in the art), it appears as though Peggy can still out-think people, even if it is to enable a goal that she may not really desire, rather a goal she is mindlessly falling into because of her fear of commitment - or at least, fear of the imagined restrictions she believes might be in place in the relationship she imagines Gary may or may not be offering.

While I'm not normally a fan of rehashes, hopefully all three get too drunk to actually go through with the threesome, like the first half (but NOT the hate-screwing) of the time the Troublemakers got super drunk together; if not for Peggy's character, then to simply maintain the professional bond between Vince and Jane, who - while possibly fools - appear highly competent at their jobs. If such an awkward boundary crossing were to occur, it would be a high probability that their efficacy as paramedics would be negatively affected.
Getting unrelated people involved in one's own selfish whims is something done by Sonya, old Yuki, or old Zii (or, probably a number of other characters, too, but I digress), so it is kind of disheartening to see the normally selfless and pragmatic Peggy getting close to becoming such a callous user of others. The line hasn't been crossed yet, and preferably it won't be, as to maintain Peggy's character, in spite of her misguided drunken cunning and the desperate paramedics apparent willingness to follow into the whirlpool of dysfunction.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

Looks like everyone is going to get it from Ol Peggy

RantingRodent

Post by RantingRodent »

Come on, folks, everyone knows how this kind of thing goes in any story, especially this near to the end. She's going to get them alone in a bedroom and then have a sudden internal crisis and realize that despite her fear of commitment she cares more about Gary than about preserving her free spirit status. She's going to leave the paramedics screwing each other and go find Gary.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh well, so much for sanity. For one brief moment I had hopes for these two.

But really... Yes, Peggy is very attractive, and I can easily imagine someone bending a few principles for a chance with her, but really - since when did every woman in the setting induce the DiDi effect?
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:50 am
Unfortunately, it seems as though Jane and Vince lack restraint, or have an excess of desperation, or are merely just idiots with too much lust.
Oh, you mean that they're Ma3 characters. It's quicker just to say so.
RantingRodent wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:36 am
Come on, folks, everyone knows how this kind of thing goes in any story, especially this near to the end. She's going to get them alone in a bedroom and then have a sudden internal crisis and realize that despite her fear of commitment she cares more about Gary than about preserving her free spirit status.
Or something. I wouldn't risk guessing exactly how this will go, but yes, it has the look of a scene which will take a left turn shortly.

But then again, Ma3. Some scenes don't take their left turn until after the shagging.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Zellgato

Post by Zellgato »

That's about right. Every time we saw them, I kept thinking those two were rather into each other in that weird narritive sorta way that is created via "we don't wanna break the partnership" thing going on.
Fair chance this'll end (with or with a bang) With those two ignoring Peggy (either during or more likely after given the censoring nature of webcomic). Which may or may not make her realize Gary bits. Though I still prefer a "single gary excelling at his career" end. but thats true of Zii and Yuki (nope) as well in my preference.

I don't inherently find this weird or crazy.
Though thats a lot of shots a bit too quick. in this case it is liquid courage is the choice is made prior. Even the 9shots for strapon attempt

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Assuming that twelve shots is enough to get this threesome to happen (and them all being able to perform in bed), where will they go? I mean, Peggy has a right to go back to the apartment she is helping to pay the expenses for. But it would be awfully rude to bring them over in front of Gary after professing what he did. Or maybe not. Maybe he will have his headphones on playing a loud game. This event certainly has the elements present to ruin everything Peggy has going right in her life, including leading up to a Gary intrusion on the threesome and having a recall to the Zii/Erik conclusion. I don't like seeing this side of Peggy, as it really brings out the undesirable side of her. In this way, she reminds me of Zii. But she is human... and panicking... and drunk - a recipe for disaster. I was hoping that Peggy would break the mold of the 'crazy redhead'. In vino veritas maybe?

But I am not counting the Peggy/Gary ship out yet. What if Gary improvises and brings out a Lothario-esque mask? Perhaps seeing to what lengths Gary would be willing to please her in order to see how unlike Gary is to her ex-fiance, she will have a moment of clarity and realize she's been behaving poorly and realize Gary is the right one.

Or, what if Gary himself decides to leave? It would definitely be a curve ball. Maybe he, armed with his new confidence and knowledge he has nothing left there, decides he can do better elsewhere? Perhaps he will try to reconnect with Kiley - the one who originally punched his V-card and accepted him for him being him. And he accepted her for being her. She is completely available (as far as we know). And it would be a way to bring her back into the story for a happy ending.

Congrats on 1500, btw. An excellent (if bittersweet) milestone. I wonder if we have "nine" more strips? Or 3+9? Maybe Dave's last plug at upcoming events.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I now have visions of a last strip in which Gary comes home cheerfully from work, and walks in on Peggy pegging Vince, in a clear echo of strip #1. But that would be cruel — partly to Gary (but he’d live) but mostly to the readers, who’d be left with a huge melodramatic plot point hanging, waiting for one-off special strips...

No, I don’t think it’s likely. But who knows (what evil lurks in the hearts of men)?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

LarsenSan

Post by LarsenSan »

Why can't he just say "I dont' swing that way" at the strap-on part?

brasca

Post by brasca »

I fear this is about to get Dangerously Chloe in here. 8-|

Peggy isn’t Matt. She’s not cheating on Gary and she wants to have a good time because life is short.

And if Peggy is sober enough to use a strap on I think it’s safe to say she can consent. It’s probably not a good idea to hook up because of how awkward things can be at work the next day, but they’re all adults who know what they’re doing.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

LarsenSan wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:41 pm
Because this is Ma3 and people don't have many taboos there... and Peggy is that desirable... and someone has to be the butt of a joke in Panel 4.

I agree with you, though. Gary can't be the only person in Montreal who can learn to say "no" to doing something they don't want. Some people just don't swing that way, which is perfectly fine. But peer pressure and a little liquid courage and not wanting to experience FOMO (fear of missing out) is what Peggy is counting on. What gets me is that Peggy would be willing to just sleep with some random strangers too, in the state she is in to boot. Definitely not wise.

Sexual freedom comes with responsibility. If Peggy is so envious of Zii's past liberties, she should look no further than the messes it has gotten her into too. But she isn't, and that is what is so hurtful. She even counselled & chastised Zii on her mistakes. Is this a case of "do as I say and not as a I do"?

Bottom line is that I want Gary to be happy. I don't want Gary to be crushed at losing Peggy, soulful music playing in the background of his exit. I think Peggy and Gary have great chemistry. But Kiley is also on par with being relatively level-headed and adorable. They share a past, and I would not mind a revisit to it. The more I think of it, Kiley acting like Cyrano to Yuki's Chrisitan back in the Sonya/Yuki date-off way-back-when combined with Kiley being potentially available to court gives Gary another avenue to explore should Peggy bollix-up her chances with Gary. In fact, it would give Gary the opportunity to practice from start to finish all of his acquired knowledge and on his own without wing-girl assistance to be a dating male. The only question is how many more strips will it take to get to the resolution and will we be left hanging?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

LarsenSan wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:41 pm
Forget it, Jake - it's Montreal. In Ma3.

Also, the whole point of this scene is that he and Jane are absolutely gagging for a chance to get into Peggy's 100% cotton panties. The fact that he'll even put up with this condition just emphasises that. Plus, sunk cost fallacy; he's committed now, and he can't back down.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:23 pm
What gets me is that Peggy would be willing to just sleep with some random strangers too, in the state she is in to boot. Definitely not wise.
To be fair, they're not technically strangers. Which still doesn't make it wise... But Peggy is still being Peggy enough to use people she knows and hopefully trusts a little for her idiot acting out, instead of picking up some shifty-eyed rando in a bar.
---------
Spidrift