Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

21-02-19 I paid for that one

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 21-02-19 I paid for that one

Post by Spidrift »

Oh dear, I called that. Though interestingly, Vince and Jane (who now have names) look more horrified than enthused. Could it be that we're actually going to get a couple of Only Sane People saying "That doesn't sound like a good idea, especially given your current condition"? You know, a bit of last-minute novelty for the comic?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Hopefully, the paramedics lusting after Peggy will have the decency to not take her up on that threeway; her inebriation seems to be the strongest reason behind her lack of inhibition. Even if her anxiety about "normalcy" makes her believe or maybe even truly want further sexual escapades, the excess of alcohol shows she isn't entirely certain about random hook ups anymore.
The look of shock on the paramedics seems to suggest they aren't willing nor happy to have a threeway; presumably because both only desire Peggy, as well as Jane being gay and Vince being uncomfortable - even the simple fact that they coworkers and/or friends, therefore don't want to become involved in something that would make future interactions super awkward. Perhaps if they do indeed refuse, it will remind Peggy that she already has all of the sexual liberation she desires with the current arrangement with Gary, which has no strong commitments either way (least of all to the hypothetical trappings she was dwelling on), thus can indulge her whims without feeling "restricted" again.

Fairly simple layout, nevertheless the art helps emphasise the moods of the scene; from Peggy's somewhat unstable state due to intoxication, and her pouting about her *desires* at the end, as well as Vince and Jane's competitiveness against one another and their final aforementioned look of shock.
I suppose the main way to prevent a threesome happening is the other two having enough conscience to avoid taking advantage of her (seemingly consenting, but she is too drunk to be truly agreeing in her right mind, even if it is her own suggestion) and if not that, then the paramedics' clear dread to almost revulsion at the idea would make it impossible. In fact, their horror appears so strong that they might even lose their crushes on Peggy because of her "far out" sexual proclivities.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

and that's why its called liquid courage.

Maniax

Post by Maniax »

I'm starting to feel really, really sorry for Gary now...

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 am
Oh dear, I called that. Though interestingly, Vince and Jane (who now have names) look more horrified than enthused. Could it be that we're actually going to get a couple of Only Sane People saying "That doesn't sound like a good idea, especially given your current condition"? You know, a bit of last-minute novelty for the comic?
It would seem that Jane and Vince will remain in the story for a little while longer. Considering their medical background I doubt they'll take Peggy up on this offer although they probably will accept a raincheck.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Couple of things.

Peggy hasn’t ever needed ‘liquid courage’ for this stuff, just the regular kind. Her inhibitions are now fully comfortable with guys, girls, threesomes, and lots and lots of strap-on related activity. I’m pretty sure she just needed the liquor because she was all wound up over Gary and needed to loosen.

And yeah, it doesn’t really seem like her coworkers are down. Maybe we’re being reminded that while the plot may revolve around sexually adventurous people, most of the rest of Montreal (and, indeed, the world) really aren’t.

I’m thinking it will play out like this: She’ll go home disappointed, and she’ll realize, “Well Gary would have been up for that threesome. Gary would have been up for anything I wanted...” And right about then is when she’ll realize a life with him needn’t be boring and bam! We have a couple.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I liked the way Peggy's state of intoxication was slowly revealed over 4 panels. I agree that its unlikely that there's going be any sex, 3 way or otherwise.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 am
Hel's heels I hope you're right. Or the way I took it is that they were outright repulsed. For what could be a myriad variety of reasons. Even more than one for each of them! Though that might be getting a little bit too complex...
lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:39 am
I’m thinking it will play out like this: She’ll go home disappointed, and she’ll realize, “Well Gary would have been up for that threesome. Gary would have been up for anything I wanted...” And right about then is when she’ll realize a life with him needn’t be boring and bam! We have a couple.
Reasonable theory. Might also get another rare example of Sir Gary of Montreal riding to the "rescue". Hopefully that triggers Peggy's sensible genes (after she recovers from what might be a nasty hang over if those are all mixed drinks) and lets her do what she does better than any other member of the cast. Communicate like a grown, functional adult.

I swear this comic has made communication between couples, possible couples, regular fuck buddies, etc a goddamn fetish for me.
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

On the plus side, should Peggy pass out the EMTs know where she lives due to being dispatched there before.

Not sure I like Peggy in this strip. Like Sandra and her alcoholic problems, this strip could be a PSA for acting responsibly. She is also using her 'sexual freedom' card rather defiantly, which on paper sound OK but sounds like it might have some social and/or professional repercussions. Hurtful rumors of Peggy being a freak can easily get spread around her workplace, making advancement and just being taken seriously an issue. I suppose that could happen either way whether the EMTs choose to partake in the threesome. Then there's the fact that the other two have an acceptable professional relationship, maybe even being friends/rivals. How would that skew their dynamic? Regrets all around, maybe, with Peggy thinking only about her own sexual liberty. "Freedom has its cost" as our military veterans say.

I'd say it is coin toss if they have the threesome. Those are some pretty revolted/surprised expressions from the EMTs, but they were really pining over Peggy. Zii has pulled off some amazingly unpredictable sexual shenanigans, so I don't think this is out of Peggy's realm to make such happen. Of course, Zii was interested in such an escapade, as opposed to Peggy seeming more lackluster about it. I hope that they'll behave responsibly and not take Peggy up on it; they could excuse the threeway as the alcohol speaking and her not wanting to choose or disappoint one or the other EMT.

Which could also lead to Peggy having what alcoholics refer to as 'a moment of clarity' and place in perspective why she said that to them and how far she is willing to go to remain 'sexually free'.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

RemoWilliams

Post by RemoWilliams »

Not exactly the "Menage a 3" that I've been expecting all this time.

How the Hell is this going to get wrapped up in one more comic strip?

Remo Williams,

The Master of Sinanju.

biorji

Post by biorji »

Feels like to many loose ends to be wrapped up at this point. Still feel Gary hasn’t got to a completion of some sort.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think that the point here is that when you need that much liquid courage or disinhibition or whatever you want to call it to suggest something that you claim to want, and when you then propose it quite so unromantically, you don’t really want it after all. Peggy’s been telling herself she wants to be wildly promiscuous, because she not long ago escaped a failing relationship, but really she’s confused; the Gary thing is what actually appeals to her, and what she really ought to at least try first. Maybe with some provisos for occasional openness or whatever, sure, but that’s to negotiate with Gary.

(It’s like tossing a coin to make a choice between two “equal” options; when you find yourself thinking “Tails! Tails! Please come up tails!”, they ain’t equal.)

And the other two may be horrified because they don’t want a threesome, or because Peggy is being so hideously drunkenly unromantic, or whatever. Doesn’t really matter. The point is that they can see that Peggy is throwing out unconsidered arbitrary ideas while in no fit state, and they can hopefully be good enough friends to talk her down and take her home.
RemoWilliams wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:42 pm
How the Hell is this going to get wrapped up in one more comic strip?
It isn’t.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

biorji wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:47 pm
Feels like to many loose ends to be wrapped up at this point. Still feel Gary hasn’t got to a completion of some sort.
Actually, Gary reached his completion a long time ago, about when he turned down Tracy and James for the last time. He’s got a better job, he’s comfortable in his skin, his sexual history should give him a warm glow and a smug smirk whenever he thinks about it, and he can attract enough women for any guy, talk to them as an adult equal, and leave them satisfied and grateful in bed. A long-term relationship (and/or a night with Zii) would be the cherry on the top, but he’s fune whatever.

The one thing I’d find amusing and appropriate is for Gary to see, say, Aaron with a cute geek girl, or just Jung with Ramona, and for him to say he’s impressed. At which point, Aaron or Jung could say “Dude, where do you think the rest of of got the idea from? You’re a freakin’ god around here!” — and then point to a geek gossip Web site full of pictures of Gary with Senna, Amber, and Sandra...
---------
Spidrift

meps98

Post by meps98 »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:07 pm
biorji wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:47 pm
The one thing I’d find amusing and appropriate is for Gary to see, say, Aaron with a cute geek girl, or just Jung with Ramona, and for him to say he’s impressed. At which point, Aaron or Jung could say “Dude, where do you think the rest of of got the idea from? You’re a freakin’ god around here!” — and then point to a geek gossip Web site full of pictures of Gary with Senna, Amber, and Sandra...
It would be amusing to discover that Gary has a reputation as a player that he was completely unaware of.