Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

19-02-19 He is comfortable

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 19-02-19 He is comfortable

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Kind of a shame that the normally level-headed Peggy is falling into the trap that so often caught the other protagonists, Zii frequently, which is she is assuming the thoughts and desires of someone close to her to the point that she inadvertently aims to alienate the person. Excellent emotional development in the art and portrayal of her expressions though, as she deviates from rational to irrational thought processes.
I'm not necessarily a Gary/Peggy shipper, but neither would I like to see Peggy go mindlessly into adrenaline junkie territory like with Sonya and her impossible pairing with the spy. Hopefully, Peggy's intelligence will win out over her anxiety; it wouldn't be pleasant to see her go into OG Zii habits, and it'd be especially unpleasant for her to have to hook up with the stalker-y sort-of-coworkers that have had zero interaction with her other than leering at her when she accidentally wandered naked into rooms she thought held *neutral* company.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Bit late to be introducing another player.

Also, really, that's a weird way to take "I need a drink," for both of them, even if the guy genuinely just was offering to take her to the bar.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:30 am
Bit late to be introducing another player.

Also, really, that's a weird way to take "I need a drink," for both of them, even if the guy genuinely just was offering to take her to the bar.
Not really. Those are the paramedics who took Gary away after an injury and got an eyeful of Peggy when she walked in unexpectedly.

While I can understand that Peggy doesn’t want to fall into the same trap as before Gary offers enough excitement to make a steady relationship work.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Surely the logical way for Peggy to go from here is a careful conversation with Gary along the lines of "I'm happy with this relationship, and to agree that it's become a bit serious, but can we agree to keep it nominally open for a while? I've still got this commitment problem, and it'd be stupid to let that ruin a good thing which might get even more serious when I've got my head back together... And hey, there are probably girls out there who could still use some of that Gary tongue-magic, if you're ever feeling charitable."

Which would probably be a bit too nuanced for Ma3, but you never know. It'd allow Gary a reasonably happy ending without tying everything up too neatly, so any one-off follow-up stories could still involve good old swirly jokes. And it'd allow a Gary/Zii one-off encounter without Gary's conscience giving him problems, if Zii can find a get-out.

Anyhow, as to the other two characters in this strip -- I assume that they're just there for a one-off gag, so let's not sweat the details, And it's nice to see that the bisexuality/lesbianism rate at the hospital is as high as elsewhere in Montreal. Though I guess that Peggy might drag them off for an after-work threesome, in a sad attempt to prove to herself that she's still fancy-free.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

Yay, the Return of the Female Paramedic :) <3

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am
Anyhow, as to the other two characters in this strip -- I assume that they're just there for a one-off gag, so let's not sweat the details, And it's nice to see that the bisexuality/lesbianism rate at the hospital is as high as elsewhere in Montreal. Though I guess that Peggy might drag them off for an after-work threesome, in a sad attempt to prove to herself that she's still fancy-free.
I believe the guy is Peggy's former fiance, the one who doesn't like to pleasure women orally.

leann123

Post by leann123 »

Peggy isn't good for Gary.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

The two characters had their first appearance here:

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/flex-maura
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

leann123 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:25 pm
Peggy isn't good for Gary.
How do you figure? Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but, I was hoping you could shed some light on your statement.

I am a shipper for the pair now that the chips are down. Truth be told, I have wanted Gary to seriously get together with just about all of the females in the cast, at one point or another. But Peggy is the front-runner for me now. That being said, I think she is good for him for the following reasons:
  • the most important: they communicate, mostly. Mind you, the script and 'required' comedy gags have made for several hiccups along their relationship. However, they feel comfortable enough with the other to talk. Openly. Sure, Peggy is still insecure/unsure about her commitment levels at the moment. But I am chalking that up to the last bit of conflict in the story.
  • they have obvious sexual chemistry. Gary enjoys getting pegged by a woman he cares deeply about. Period. She enjoys the kink a lot, and he is happy to oblige her. On top of that, she doesn't take advantage of him. She reciprocates, allowing him to enjoy the types of sex he is wanting to perform with her. She loves the SGR trick; who doesn't? But she doesn't demand it from him.
  • for the most part, the two of them have their professional lives on track. Financially, they are both responsible. Money, or arguments about "curtains" should be rare indeed.
  • she accepts him for being him. She might not be a Transformers or gaming geek, but she isn't intimidated or annoyed by his hobbies. In fact, she enjoys some of his interests (superhero movies and role-play).
  • trust. They have displayed the same level (or more) or trust than Kiley & Matt had in the other. They are comfortable around the other. Argument could be made that their desire for sex from the other has eased them into being domestically comfortable with the other out of necessity. Peggy also came to Gary's flat directly after leaving Sonya's place. Sure as well, low-hanging fruit for Peggy with the vacancy at his flat. But she stayed. Enough time has gone by where she could have gotten her own place, or looked for another place to roomie-up with.
  • she has less baggage than most of the characters in the strip. In fact, she is often the voice of reason.
There might be more, but that's what's coming to my mind.

What Peggy needs to do now is talk with him. Just as Zii came to Didi (no pun intended), she needs to get her concerns out in the open. She needs to ask Gary what he wants from her, or how deep he wants their relationship. I assume Gary would also freak out at the Marriage word. I think he'd just be happy at Girlfriend. I don't think Gary's brain has even considered going to a jewelry shop and get an engagement ring. So, she is overreacting. Of course knowing their relationship, Gary might consider giving her a special strap-on... maybe.

See you Thursday.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

"Less baggage" =/= "no baggage" as her college ex showed a few (days? Weeks?) ago, just before sweeping the crazy brunette off her feet and out of the comic. We've just gotten used to extreme levels of baggage hi-jinx (Yuki for example). b-(
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote:

Anyhow, as to the other two characters in this strip -- I assume that they're just there for a one-off gag,
They've shown up before actually.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Uh oh, does Peggy have a lesbian or bisexual stalker now?

As for Peggy's thoughts, she is indeed getting cold feet.

And I'm still waiting for that "curve ball".

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cortez wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:12 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Anyhow, as to the other two characters in this strip -- I assume that they're just there for a one-off gag,
They've shown up before actually.
Yeah, got that now, thanks. Points to the writers for a little call-back. Which said, those two had a one-panel one-joke appearance the last time, and we have no reason to think they’ll get more than that again this time. Maybe they will, especially if Peggy is desperate to reaffirm her lack of commitment to Gary — but my bet is that this is their last appearance, cute though they are.
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Both Peggy and Gary should have reasonable amounts of disposable income. They are young, cool, cool nerdy, and reasonably attractive. Any adventures they want individually or together should be achievable.