12-02-19 Support your dream

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

worldshaking00

Re: 12-02-19 Support your dream

Post by worldshaking00 »

Seems like it, although I think it is much more the former than the latter. Mental illness, nay. More like mentally stimulated. Of course, some people just like to gripe and be curmudgeons, but I am not going there as it detracts from the point of this forum - talking about the strip itself.

My commentary about "why some folks are complaining" was painted in broad strokes. Many of us have spent hours on these boards discussing events in this made-up world. We feel we are vested. I get it. It is near the end of this comic's run. The announcement from Giz hit a lot of us hard. It modifies how we look at how this final chapter is being brought to a close. If we were reading this in a book, we'd notice that the remaining page count was dwindling fast. "Things seem rushed" is only natural to hear from some readers. We don't want it to end therefore we want to squeeze every last erg of information possible from the story in some sort of hope that the story will last weeks or months longer. We don't like change. We want more. We consume. We got confirmation from Giz that these characters aren't disappearing forever; just, that they are being shelved for a while. I've given hundreds of dollars and countless hours of my life to Giz, Dave, and the others to support their story & IP. I have to trust them that they will take good care of the IP and return in some form when their time (both for the creative team and the characters) is right.

Imagine the shitstorm that would have erupted had Giz not told us that Ma3 and its associated strips were ending, but instead just went along on her merry way posting the story as we have been given thus far and it just ended. Cold turkey. I shudder to think of it. I for one plan my day on update days to read the update before heading off to work. I often check the forum after work just to see the commentary and join the discussion. The comic has been ingrained into my daily routine. And now there is a perceived threat (i.e. change). It is a natural reaction. But we are grown men and women (or at least should be to be reading this comic lol), therefore we should strive to use some logic and dignity and be calm when faced with this alteration to our paradigms (as small as that may be).

I guess what I am saying is this: a forum is there for discussion. By definition. Opposing viewpoints are to be expected. Rules and proper decorum required. But we are also intelligent enough to have the suspension of disbelief required to think that some of the zany shit that has transpired in this comic can happen in this made-up world (Yuki not being arrested for crotch-kicking; no unavailable nerdettes for Gary to woo; both Zii & Didi have apparently slept with over half of Montreal, etc.). Allow some of that to bleed over in the opposite direction. There has been some plot involving these two independently, and how each of them has had to change to accommodate failure & loss in both their personal & professional lives. Possibly enough to warrant some character growth. Why can't two characters, Zii and DIdi in this case, have a little character development and learn to love the other over long distance? One answer might be that these characters are meant to be static. I retort by saying that I look at this comic strip more like a story - a romantic comedy to quote the creative team. If it is a story, then there is conflict. Then there has to be some narrative way for the characters to interact with the conflict and come out the other end of it, changed in some manner by success or failure. The comic is meant to be funny, for sure. But we often forget the 'romantic' part of the story type, and instead just transpose 'adult-themed' or 'pictures of asses and nipples' over the 'romance' part. Romance can be uplifting and positive, and it can be rather tragic. I for one am hoping for a happy ending, but I have my box of tissues nearby should our beloved characters crash and burn.

See you Thursday.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:31 pm
Is there another reason I didn't think of?
The webcomic has flaws?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 am
lordoffiling wrote:
The webcomic has flaws?
Well, now you're just being silly. That's completely outside the realm of reason.
**== **== **== **==

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Spidrift wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 am
lordoffiling wrote:
The webcomic has flaws?
The webcomic has Doom Panties in it.

DOOM.

PANTIES.

Ok not this one specifically but the Pixie Trix multiverse includes this and other things that really, really should say to people, “Hey, maybe don’t take this seriously at all. Just have fun.”

And my hypothesis is that some people are having their kind of fun. They enjoy nitpicking, and if it wasn’t this comic it’d be some other thing.

I know some of you are lurking over in Alfie’s comments section. You’ll never admit it, but I know you’re there.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling