07-02-19 The truth is

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

samtheman

Re: 07-02-19 The truth is

Post by samtheman »

I'm now hoping we snap to Gary and Peggy on Tuesday. As for Zii and Didi, I don't really care about their relationship anymore and honestly I didn't really care about their relationship in the first place. I do want some kind of resolution for Gary and Peggy even if they simply agree to continue their open FWB relationship. And if their relationship ends then oh well that's life. Gotta take the bad with the good.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:22 am
I can honestly say that I didn't expect that. Haha!
Well, one of the possible outcomes that I thought would happen is one involving DiDi's idiocy, and I guess it is her stupidity at work here, albeit in a manner I didn't see coming (no pun intended).

I suppose this shows that, even in some stupid way, DiDi does actually value the relationship with Zii enough to try to "stock up for winter," although it still seems apparent that she covets the physical pleasure part of the relationship well above any sort of emotional one.
That was my take away.

Didi does have some love for Zii, but the physical is still very much important to her.

Which, though, I don't think is all a bad thing. Loves Zii but still wants/craves the physical. Pretty normal, she just REALLY wants the physical.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

samtheman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:52 pm
I'm now hoping we snap to Gary and Peggy on Tuesday. As for Zii and Didi, I don't really care about their relationship anymore and honestly I didn't really care about their relationship in the first place.
Same here. I think that you have to care about the characters themselves to care about their relationship, and I at some point, I just stopped caring about DiDi and Zii. They're too shallow and selfish.

It's not even that I wish them ill. Let them have their happy ending or not. Whatever. It's that I literally just don't care at all.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The very slightly sad thing is that Zii seemed at one stage to be developing into a likable person. (Well, she was always likable -- but she seemed on the verge of deserving it, thanks to the influence of people like Gary and Ruby, and the hard lessons she learned from nearly trashing her own music career.) But then, the writers apparently decided that she was really serious about DiDi, or at least that she was convinced she was, and we were left with someone whose obsession with conquering the Everest of sexuality was somehow supposed to be interpreted as a grand romance.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 pm
worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:56 pm
Just saying, that I'm hoping for some character growth from Didi..
Character... growth... from... DiDi... Sorry — do those words make a sentence? I guess it’s semantically valid, but it’s a bit “Colourless green ideas think furiously”, you know?
Okay, Spidrift, I know you're not DiDi's biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, but that's not fair. There's clearly been an attempt by the writer to give her development through this whole wrestling thing, if for no other reason than to give her something else to do in the comic, and the last time we saw her she turned down a $125,000 dollar contract with the in-setting equivalent of WWF because she had developed a genuine passion for the sport and realised the boss lady was only hiring her for her ginormous boobs. Plus if nothing else she seems to have developed something of a genuine friendship with Roxie, one that in no way relies on finding each other physically attractive or having sex. Now those may not be huge leaps and bounds, but they're still something.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

Apparently there is some hope for a long term relationship between these two. Instead of simply jettisoning Zii on the news, Didi (in her own selfish way) is instead professing a certain amount of fidelity. She is expecting to not be getting it on for the entire time Zii is on tour, which is a big jump from her previous flightiness. So obviously she needs a reserve of orgasms to cling to.

Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 »

Technically she might not be forgoing sex, just orgasms ;)

I'm kidding. I wouldn't say I have a lot of patience for Didi, but this is pretty cute. I think it's fair to say she's going to miss Zii... *and* orgasms. She wanted a close relationship (even if it's for largely sexual reasons) and idunno, maybe she managed to form one.

dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Ah, so, it's going to be that trope I've seen a number of times in anime/manga where the ending is one person leaving the other almost immediately after the two declare their undying love. The coda, if there is one, comes a few months/years later when they reunite and live happily ever after, no questions asked, like time stood still in between. Honestly, I can't think of a single one that pulled it off believably, and here it would feel especially unearned.

Well, whatever. There was a time when these comics were a fun ride, but now it just feels like being TAKEN for a ride.

Peace.

Prydonian

Post by Prydonian »

Right, because they’re a... real couple...

Sigh.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:40 pm
Now those may not be huge leaps and bounds, but they're still something.
Exactly my point. I don't expect miracles from Didi. Her character is supposed to be vapid and shallow and high maintenance. I get that. But even a shallow pool can get filled with water. It would evaporate much quicker, of course, without constant refills. She 'lost' Kiley; she won't want to lose Zii. Didi has had very few female friends; she's probably made a passable one with Roxie. But can she overcome her need to constantly have an orgasm after a long time of never having one? A relatively meaningless character growth spurt, compared to the larger problems in her personality, for sure.

But I am very interested in how the two of them will reach compromise in order to satisfy Didi's physical 'needs'. I don't expect Didi to go without. It reminds me of the strip with Didi looking like a mad woman after not getting intimate with Matt for a week. What would she look like should she go longer without one.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Prydonian wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:30 am
Right, because they’re a... real couple...

Sigh.
If it's a matter of them being a comic and people caring, isn't that the point of comics?

If it's a matter of how their relationship is, I don't know, feels real enough for me in this instance. Didi may be vapid, but sex is important in a relationship. Many a relationship can end due to a lack of it.

At least Didi seems to be willing to work on a long distance relationship, which she will be in, if Zii is away the whole six months. Though, I would wonder why Didi couldn't visit every now and again, while Zii is on tour.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mmm. We don’t know exactly where they’re touring to, but we do know that DiDi makes very good money as a waitress. You’d think she could manage the occasional weekend trip to catch up with Zii on the road and break a motel bed...

Sorry. Trying to impose plot logic on Ma3. My bad.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Definitely plausible on the weekend trip. Of course, it might interrupt band solidarity since none of the other band members are likely to be getting their shag on (no Richie or Matt). I don't know if Didi has learned to drive, but planes and ride-share are available in our modern world so there's that. I'd imagine the tour is all across Canada, maybe dipping into the upper US. Erik seemed proud in his ability to stage a six month tour and I doubt it will be in stadiums. Bars, clubs, indy concerts, opening acts, and the like will probably their fare.

Which does bring up a valid point on Matt and his lascivious ways once Yuki is on tour. Will he pine for Yuki, or, will he go back to being a sleaze and cheat on her (or dump her)?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:26 pm
Which does bring up a valid point on Matt and his lascivious ways once Yuki is on tour. Will he pine for Yuki, or, will he go back to being a sleaze and cheat on her (or dump her)?

Remember that Yuki isn't going to go on the tour because she's going to Japan and and Matt is going with her.

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/hall-meeting

But who knows, maybe Matt will cheat on Yuki before they even go on their trip to Japan.
Last edited by samtheman on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Definitely plausible on the weekend trip. Of course, it might interrupt band solidarity since none of the other band members are likely to be getting their shag on (no Richie or Matt).
If the band's esprit de corps can't withstand one member getting their legover while others don't from time to time, they have problems. Though some members of that touring ensemble do seem more likely to get nookie than others. Not that Terry seems to need much excuse to get mopey. And he's the drummer.

Anyhow, there's no obvious reason why Richie shouldn't do some catching up in person, same as DiDi. And Matt's absence will be sublimely irrelevant.
worldshaking00 wrote:
I don't know if Didi has learned to drive, but planes and ride-share are available in our modern world so there's that.
Oh God. I know that I have a somewhat irrational (well, excessive) aversion to DiDi, but can you imagine her driving? She'd be a bloody menace.
worldshaking00 wrote:
As he's specifically going to Japan with Yuki while Terry drums on the tour, the point is moot.
---------
Spidrift