05-02-19 Long periods of time

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 05-02-19 Long periods of time

Post by Spidrift »

Okay, new-version Sandra drawn by Giz. (I guess this is her token end-of-the-comic last appearance.) Which we kind of had before, when Gary went on his trip to Paris, but then she still had a bit of the snub-nosed and freckly look. This time, I didn’t even recognise her until I got who it had to be from context.

And is it just me, or is DiDi’s franglais especially screwed-up and implausible this time?
Zippy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 pm
Wait wait wait... Sandra's return to Paris was after a timeskip of a year or so. Where was this huge timeskip in Ma3 if the two are (still) meant to be in alignment?
Do. Not. Ask. Time in this comic isn’t wibbly-wobbly, it’s completely broken. You’ll just end up wondering what happened to winter.
themacnut wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:07 pm
Add Zii's likelihood of cheating while on tour and DiDi's toddler-like attention span, and their prospects of remaining a couple look even worse.
Which raises an issue for the possible Zii-Gary final relationship. If they get together, and then Zii promptly goes off on tour before things are really established, how likely is that to endure?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I really can't see Zii having a relationship with Gary or DiDi or anyone at this point. Her focus will most likely be (and should be) on her musical career. I'm sure at some point that she'll find romance again, but certainly not in the scope of this series.
Gary (hopefully) has Peggy and I neither know nor care who DiDi finds to drive crazy.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Peaslepuff wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 pm
I never really had a problem with Didi until I started reading this forum, tbh, but now I see it all the time.
Sort of puts her answers in perspective. I honestly don't think she really knows she is being rude. At least in this particular instance, she can't possibly know what Zii is about to discuss with her. Script flagellation has been Zii's diet of late. Didi has been shown to be quite caring and empathetic...just when it is convenient to her... which totally questions how genuine she is, I know. Roxie and her wallet, for example, in helping a stranger out.

However she is very self-centered in her needs, absolutely, and jumps to conclusions all the time (jumping to conclusions is ultra common in this strip since very few of the characters actually try to have meaningful dialogue with their prospective significant others; I blame comedic necessity). Once again, how much is script working against Didi and how much is her being ignorant (or selfish). It is rhetorical - and academic - at this point in the story. Didi's answers to their discussion will be what winds up mattering. But we all do enjoy speculation.

"Love" was required to unlock Didi's orgasms; will Didi realize this and work with Zii? Or, will Didi sabotage herself? If 'happy places' are in store for every character, I expect a compromise is in order. But, I am still expecting the aforementioned 'curveball' too.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Part of me wishes we would've found out if Sandra got with Cammi! :)

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

It has been confirmed in a Twitter comment that the comic will go past #1500 in order to wrap things up:

https://twitter.com/PixieTrixComix/stat ... of-time%2F

"Not locking ourselves to exactly 1500. Pretty sure we're gonna run over by a bit."

I'm hoping that means we'll see Kiley one last time before the comic wraps up. Looking at the volume 10 cover again, it kinda looks like Kiley is pegging Matt so maybe it's a case of "covers always spoil".

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:13 am
I honestly don't think she really knows she is being rude.
I know that throwing the words “autistic spectrum” around casually is a bad habit that needs to be killed with fire, but DiDi is written as kind of comedy autistic. She’s not cruel — she even tries to be kind — but her capacity for useful empathy, her functioning model of mind, is way below normal, even for comedy.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:12 pm
Okay, new-version Sandra drawn by Giz. (I guess this is her token end-of-the-comic last appearance.) Which we kind of had before, when Gary went on his trip to Paris, but then she still had a bit of the snub-nosed and freckly look. This time, I didn’t even recognise her until I got who it had to be from context.

And is it just me, or is DiDi’s franglais especially screwed-up and implausible this time?
Zippy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 pm
Wait wait wait... Sandra's return to Paris was after a timeskip of a year or so. Where was this huge timeskip in Ma3 if the two are (still) meant to be in alignment?
Do. Not. Ask. Time in this comic isn’t wibbly-wobbly, it’s completely broken. You’ll just end up wondering what happened to winter.
I guess the Starks (from the Song of Ice and Fire) would be considered crazy here, because winter is not coming... ever. :D
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...