Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

02-02-19 You are a rock

Post by Giz »

Opus the Poet

Re: 02-02-19 You are a rock

Post by Opus the Poet »

Calling it now, the MA3 at the end will be Gary, Peg, and Zii, Didi is too self-centered to stay in a relationship unless Gary and Zii agree that it would be cruel to deny Didi access to orgasms since Zii appears to be the only one who can provide them to her. I still don't know if it will be a true triad, or as it appears now a Vee with Peggy at the vertex and Gary and Zii as "good buddies" but only with occasional benefits.

Whatever I still wish them all the best, even Didi.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Peggy is indeed the rock around which the lunacy of others latches on to and gradually eases back to more manageable levels; though, other than that, she is also the dependable version of a rock definition (avoided saying "the Rock" to avoid confusion... Mostly my own, aha).
Lucky for Zii that she is having this conversation with Peggy because I don't think there is anyone else who could possibly be able to help someone like her - give useful advice while also ensuring that Zii doesn't proverbially wander down less rational routes, such as the abandonment of music (which she did in the past for a different reason, but resulted in her feeling unfulfilled).
Wonder what Peggy's third hypothesis was leading to before she doubled back to the first perhaps most pressing issue. Though, personally, I think another option even she didn't consider was that DiDi is an idiot, so could likely misunderstand Zii and Zii's feelings entirely.

In spite of her earlier resolution, it seems as there is still enough uncertainty in Peggy for certain phrases to trigger a panicked response; I think it is most likely anxiety regarding the fear of the unknown, rather than an abject fear of commitment (i.e. limitations, which is why Peggy broke away from her previous boyfriend; albeit, her lingering anxieties don't seem to be as big an issue if with someone like Gary, but deep-seated issues don't fade overnight, I guess).

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yeah, Peggy has some latent issues with commitment that heavyweight words like "wife" can trigger quite severely. Though it looks to me like she just needs a little time and introspection to get over them.

And her move towards the centre of the comic has been interesting. I wonder how much of it was planned when she first showed up in that restaurant, looking rather more unstable in an Ma3 way. (And I do wonder what happened to poor old Jim; I'd love to see a frame of him with some pleasant woman who happens to enjoy vaginal orgasms.)

As to the third option there -- well, for a lot of couples with serviceable working relationships, something like Zii's current quandary would be no more than a glitch. A could go on the road, B could buy a vibrator, and every now and again through the six months, B could catch up with A wherever she is for a night or two of bed-shattering ... catching up. People have survived much worse. But Peggy clearly thinks that this would lead to these two drifting apart, Zii doesn't disagree, and I imagine they're right. Which just puts DiDi back in the "Horribly Entitled" box.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I think Zii needs to have the talk with Didi. She has all the information she needs now, barring something coming out from left field. But this is Ma3, and with a cleverly inserted 'curveball' hinted at too.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:27 am

Lucky for Zii that she is having this conversation with Peggy because I don't think there is anyone else who could possibly be able to help someone like her - give useful advice while also ensuring that Zii doesn't proverbially wander down less rational routes, ....
Well... Matt can be a dick but he is also smart and has social skills. He could totally have this conversation with Zii. However, a lot of people hate Matt... so they would not be satisfied by the conversation... choosing Peggy is part fanservice too.

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 am
I wonder how much of it was planned when she first showed up in that restaurant, looking rather more unstable in an Ma3 way. (And I do wonder what happened to poor old Jim; I'd love to see a frame of him with some pleasant woman who happens to enjoy vaginal orgasms.)
I can't answer as many questions about the Ma3 process as I'd like. Skype records are only available for so long, memory fades, and I certainly don't want to get in any disputes with Dave and Gisele over who brought what to the table.

But in this case, my memories are pretty clear: Gisele's original plan was for Peggy to get back with Jim after the four-way. I argued that would not be a happy ending for her, but an unhappy one, because it looked like they'd discussed his unwillingness to please her in bed several times before, and I just wasn't convinced he'd change his ways for good. Seems more like once the panic of almost losing Peggy wore off, he'd go back to being kinda selfish. And maybe there are other ways to read that argument between them, but that's how I saw it. To be fair to him, it'd also be a little hard for him to move past Peggy abruptly deserting him to go have sex adventures with strangers. And having her lie to him on the front steps of Gary, Zii, and DiDi's apartment ("Sure, I was going to sleep with this 'Gary,' but, um, I really didn't want to hurt you") wouldn't have been a good road to go down either.

Gisele and Dave listened. They thrive on spontaneity more than I do, and once they had this character, they started coming up with interesting ideas for Peggy immediately (I had no idea she'd start rooming with Sonya, and "Hey, Jealous Zii," one of my all-time favorite Gisele-drawn works, evolved with little input from my end. I'm not quite sure, but I wanna say that story was Dave? Feels like Dave).

And I suspect that without me, G&D would've brought Peggy back in some form eventually. They clearly had an affinity for her. But she was definitely not planned to be a regular member of the cast at first, never mind being this prominent in the strip's closing days.

SailorDh

Post by SailorDh »

Hoping Zii doesn't fuck this up for Gary and take Peggy for herself with "wing girl" strikes again.

When is that selfish twat going to get run over by a semi already?

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

SailorDh wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:37 pm
Hoping Zii doesn't fuck this up for Gary and take Peggy for herself with "wing girl" strikes again.

When is that selfish twat going to get run over by a semi already?
I suspect you may not be our target audience.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

"Wife"? Not "marry"? Is that a Canadian thing?

brasca

Post by brasca »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 am
Calling it now, the MA3 at the end will be Gary, Peg, and Zii, Didi is too self-centered to stay in a relationship unless Gary and Zii agree that it would be cruel to deny Didi access to orgasms since Zii appears to be the only one who can provide them to her. I still don't know if it will be a true triad, or as it appears now a Vee with Peggy at the vertex and Gary and Zii as "good buddies" but only with occasional benefits.

Whatever I still wish them all the best, even Didi.
Kiley figured DiDi out so perhaps Zii can too and find a replacement. I’m not sure who since I doubt Roxie would have the patience and is too intimidating.

Peggy is one of my favorites and I hope this works out for her. She’s probably reluctant after her previous engagement with Jim, but I don’t think she’s going to find someone as stable and adventurous as Gary.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Zii might have just unintentionally scared Peggy away from committing to a serious relationship with Gary. And while I do like that the creative team made Peggy a more prominent character I'm still disappointed that Kiley has been put on a bus because Peggy and Kiley are my favorite characters in the comic.

leann123

Post by leann123 »

See I don't think DiDi would be able to handle Zii gone, but Gary would.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

TCampbell wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:22 pm
But in this case, my memories are pretty clear: Gisele's original plan was for Peggy to get back with Jim after the four-way. I argued that would not be a happy ending for her, but an unhappy one, because it looked like they'd discussed his unwillingness to please her in bed several times before, and I just wasn't convinced he'd change his ways for good. Seems more like once the panic of almost losing Peggy wore off, he'd go back to being kinda selfish. And maybe there are other ways to read that argument between them, but that's how I saw it. To be fair to him, it'd also be a little hard for him to move past Peggy abruptly deserting him to go have sex adventures with strangers. And having her lie to him on the front steps of Gary, Zii, and DiDi's apartment ("Sure, I was going to sleep with this 'Gary,' but, um, I really didn't want to hurt you") wouldn't have been a good road to go down either.
Thanks for the clarification. And as you say, by the time Peggy had finished doing what she did that evening, it was pretty clear that the relationship with Jim was a dead issue, even in the Ma3 universe and however civilised anyone and everyone endeavoured to be.

Though I do have a sentimental fannish wish to think that Jim got over that disaster in the end. You say “selfish”, but I just saw someone whose tastes just didn’t happen to mesh with Peggy’s, and that didn’t have to be anyone’s fault really. And while break-ups are never fun, no one deserves one consisting of a bowl of perfectly good pasta over the head followed by what Jim saw. I think he could merit at least the same sort of epilogue strip as Sonya’s ex or Vincent. Even if he would have to be shown with someone who enjoys — shock — heterosexual missionary-position sex.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

VoxPopuli

Post by VoxPopuli »

I hope Zii ends up alone. Not because I think she doesn't deserve anybody or stuff like that, but because she has to be alone for a while and figure out what the hell she actually wants. It seems like everytime she ends up with somebody it ends up as a disaster.