Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

22-01-19 Mile a minute

Post by Giz »

brasca

Re: 22-01-19 Mile a minute

Post by brasca »

And we’re back! And it looks like people will be forced to talk about their problems. It would seem that adulthood may be contagious as well.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Guess we have confirmation that Peggy didn't give a definitive response to Gary's not especially passionate but seemingly heartfelt proposal.
While some vague similarities exist between Peggy and Zii's situations, it doesn't seem like the latter's version offers much emotional fulfilment, as the primary *benefit* that Zii and DiDi have together is mostly physical. Gary and Peggy can still have a fulfilling friendship even if they don't commit, but DiDi offers nothing really but indifference to those whom "fail" her (granted, she could be a relatively decent friend before discovering the drug of the big O, after which, however, the seeming callousness became far more prominent).

Still, love the artwork and it is a nice display of an interaction between uncommonly paired characters (not in the romantic, but rather the literal sense). Zii and Peggy have rarely (if ever) just had a conversation in which there were no other witnesses, so it is an interesting if simple scene. Well, other than Lita of course, although nobody pays her due attention! Regardless, there is untapped potential in such a conversational pairing, as Zii has nobody to hide behind and only a logical external voice to hear; Peggy also has nobody else to spread concern over - in that, it seems that Peggy's care for others supersedes care for own issues, but with only one other person present and during such an actually adult talk, she may eventually focus more on herself, too.

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Multiple pennies are dropping! It's like the "Pennies From Heaven" musical number.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

So is the "curve ball" going to be Zii ditching the band tour just so she can be with Didi? And I still don't think Peggy is going to commit to a serious relationship with Gary.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

So the epigraph here is "Physician, heal thyself"...

I get the feeling from this that a Peggy/Gary final pairing may actually be more likely than I thought. But nothing is definite yet, especially with Zii being about to confront DiDi with the terrible, unthinkable fact that she can't always have everything she wants. Hmm. Wonder if we'll get a one-night stand between Zii and Gary, before both of them realises that this won't work long-term?

Still, all definitely moving towards a formal end-game of some sort. And Rob gets his last (?) appearance.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Haha, Y2K reference. It might be Rob's last appearance if he worries himself into a stroke or heart attack. Someone has got to give him a calendar, but then, he'd think it was a conspiracy. Ah well, funny enough bit character.

Peggy has (almost) always thought of others before herself. It is one of her defining characteristics, and one that makes her a stereotypical good nurse. But similarly to how she had to make hard decisions when she got desperate for sleep, the time will come to tackle her problems. I find it odd but comforting actually getting a defined time skip. Comforting in that, well, we actually know; time isn't wibbly wobbly in this case. Odd though, in that the four of them haven't addressed the respective elephants in their rooms in two weeks! They are all roommates in a small apartment. Are they purposefully avoiding the other roomies? "Comfortable silence" a la Pulp FIction? Long work hours or prep for the band's tour? I am sure there are reasons, but the most obvious being they are simply avoiding trying to answer. To which, I refer to Lita in the panel. Even though it is one of her more common expressions, she looks like she has her 'well duh, silly hooman. get on with it already" look. To which I still subscribe to Lita being Zii's spirit animal... the wiser of the two.

We can assume that Gary's appearance in SDB and talking with Dillon over Peggy helps to give Gary some direction or clarity, if not any strategy. Which is nice for Gary. But it appears that Zii and Peggy haven't had a support team to rely on. One would assume that Peggy could talk with Aishani. And Zii could try to talk with Amber for advice. Even more now, it sounds like intellectual procrastination is why they haven't dealt with their respective problems.

And then there is the matter of Zii and Gary. More of me wants the two of them to at least have a one-night stand. But part of me would like them to remain friends never knowing the other biblically. Not as a way to keep hopes for them to goink the other, nor to have Zii constantly try to upstage Gary's sexual endeavors. But because it is the last 'virgin' (in the most loosest of terms) relationship territory left in the comic. Just because tab A fits into slot B doesn't mean it has to be forced; it needs to build something.

I expect the talk with Didi & Zii to be about open relationships, on both ends. Unless Didi gives up her wrestling practice and her cafe job to go on the road with the Troublemakers, she is staying in Montreal. And the only available lesbian in this penultimate game of musical chairs is Roxie (of all people); do the math. Considering the sacrifices Didi made for her partenaire to not take the WW3 contract, I think Didi cares (somewhat) for Roxie. Even I'd admit that it is a far stretch for that pairing, considering their personalities. But maybe FWB? If the itch is bad enough, maybe. Or, Zii has to entrust Didi with someone she can trust (who is staying in Montreal)... and that only leaves Gary or Peggy (both of whom have been intimate with her before). Or Zii buying Didi a jack hammer for a vibrator.

But on the other hand, this is all assuming Didi doesn't have an idea in her own head. Reasonable assumption at times, but she's starting to come around slowly. Didi's part in all this might be the curve ball. Maybe she will realize she has an addiction and will seek help. From Kiley?

Someone a thread ago considered that Peggy becoming pregnant might be (one of?) the curveball(s). Near the end here, a little dose of reality injected into the strip might be refreshing. But I feel it would make Gary & Peggy's pairing to be forced... taking the 'rom' out of the rom-com. I'd like to see Peggy have that final bit of character growth to push past her failed engagement. I'd like Gary to finally get the girl, by (mostly) his own doing. And them trusting the other to move to the next level would not necessarily preclude keeping Didi 'company' while Zii is away. The whole lot of them have engaged in an orgy in one form or another at some point.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I assume that if DiDi tracked Kiley down, Kiley would scream and exit by the nearest window. Her last appearance here actually looks quite convincingly final to me, in retrospect. Though I wouldn’t be too surprised if she got just one last panel, for completeness. Anyhow, I think that DiDi is just going to have to make do without orgasms for a while when Zii goes on tour, unless something suddenly blooms with Roxxie. She needs the emotional connection thing, and Peggy and Gary have both failed in the past. No second chances, I think.

And if the comic suddenly got realistic enough for Peggy to get accidentally pregnant, I’d expect it to be realistic enough for her of all people to (a) detect the fact sooner rather than later and (b) unsentimentally arrange a termination. She’s Peggy, after all.

Oh, and talking of wrap-up appearances, what about Tracy and Jim? I rather imagine they keep getting back together for more break-up sex. And hopefully, Tracy has told Jim about her second job by now, jolting him into less of a goofball romantic view of her.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

True on Kiley's exit stage right. But some time has gone by and Didi is (unintentionally) masterful at tracking down people when they are unable to resist her... power of the script helps too. Maybe she will corner Kiley at the magazine store. I doubt Kiley moved entirely out of Quebec to escape Miss Chastel. Or maybe a simple phone call for advice might make due for Kiley's last appearance.

The other thing about the precision of a two week break is that it might give enough of a time for Peggy to notice a hiccup in her estrus cycle, providing she is clockwork of course. Being the trained professional, I would also expect her to take a test and confirm. I don't think she is having a panic attack in this strip because of thoughts on a baby; she's freaking out over the idea of commitment with our boy Gary.

As to the hypothetical pregnancy and resulting decision about keeping or aborting, that is a heavy topic that I feel is best left untouched. Besides I would assume that Peggy would be more pro-life, considering her desire to save the life of an assassin out to kill her and her friend unapologetically. Apples and oranges, I understand; the comparison isn't perfect. But that's my two cents on what I would imagine her worldview would be on the matter.

I can easily imagine a scenario where Gary and Peggy confess their love and desire to commit to one another. Then, Peggy finds out she is pregnant. Zii & Didi move out (or on the road, or whatever). Leaving the apartment with only two.. until number three arrives nine months later. And thus, Ma3 would end with a household of three... keeping with the literal title just as Dillon's comic ended presumably with his buns getting a little sticky. In fact, Gary could learn from Yuki's father's mistake and make sure that his drawing table and art is secure from the young one.

I could see Tracy and Jim hooking back up, once Gary is totally off the table (or they've come to their senses). I think it would be funny if Jim took up guest appearances/becoming her gimp-prop in her web series. Never really cared for him that much.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:26 pm
True on Kiley's exit stage right. But some time has gone by and Didi is (unintentionally) masterful at tracking down people when they are unable to resist her... power of the script helps too. Maybe she will corner Kiley at the magazine store. I doubt Kiley moved entirely out of Quebec to escape Miss Chastel. Or maybe a simple phone call for advice might make due for Kiley's last appearance.

The other thing about the precision of a two week break is that it might give enough of a time for Peggy to notice a hiccup in her estrus cycle, providing she is clockwork of course. Being the trained professional, I would also expect her to take a test and confirm. I don't think she is having a panic attack in this strip because of thoughts on a baby; she's freaking out over the idea of commitment with our boy Gary.

As to the hypothetical pregnancy and resulting decision about keeping or aborting, that is a heavy topic that I feel is best left untouched. Besides I would assume that Peggy would be more pro-life, considering her desire to save the life of an assassin out to kill her and her friend unapologetically. Apples and oranges, I understand; the comparison isn't perfect. But that's my two cents on what I would imagine her worldview would be on the matter.

I can easily imagine a scenario where Gary and Peggy confess their love and desire to commit to one another. Then, Peggy finds out she is pregnant. Zii & Didi move out (or on the road, or whatever). Leaving the apartment with only two.. until number three arrives nine months later. And thus, Ma3 would end with a household of three... keeping with the literal title just as Dillon's comic ended presumably with his buns getting a little sticky. In fact, Gary could learn from Yuki's father's mistake and make sure that his drawing table and art is secure from the young one.

I could see Tracy and Jim hooking back up, once Gary is totally off the table (or they've come to their senses). I think it would be funny if Jim took up guest appearances/becoming her gimp-prop in her web series. Never really cared for him that much.
I could see Kiley getting a call from Didi be Kiley's final appearance. Bonus points if Kiley is in bed and Matt is revealed to be her bedmate again. Double bonus points if Yuki walks in on Matt and Kiley after that.

And I was the one predicting the "curve ball" being a unplanned pregnancy but now I wonder if the "curve ball" the creative team have in mind is going to be something more mundane and anticlimactic. My current prediction is Zii ditches the band tour for her beloved Didi while Peggy ditches Gary for her and Gary's "sexual freedom". Maybe Peggy will rationalize it with a misplaced case of "I want my beloved to be happy".

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
I don't think she is having a panic attack in this strip because of thoughts on a baby; she's freaking out over the idea of commitment with our boy Gary.
Frankly I'm sure of it.
worldshaking00 wrote:
As to the hypothetical pregnancy and resulting decision about keeping or aborting, that is a heavy topic that I feel is best left untouched.
Agreed. Obviously. But some people will keep bringing it up on these boards, for some reason that I can only ascribe to their parents attempting to scare them off sex in adolescence, even now at the last minute. (I thought that the whole barking-mad idea had died years ago. Hey ho.) So I'm just pointing out that even if Giz and Dave suddenly had a deranged impulse to run such a plot, Peggy would probably be the worst victim candidate.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Besides I would assume that Peggy would be more pro-life, considering her desire to save the life of an assassin out to kill her and her friend unapologetically. Apples and oranges, I understand; the comparison isn't perfect.
It's worse than imperfect; it's deeply bloody insulting to those of us who are pro-choice and have an ethical objection to murder.
---------
Spidrift

Patton
Location: Terran Empire, California Province, Earldom of Orange

Post by Patton »

Rob! Long time no see, dude! Always wondered what job you have to allow you to stay locked inside an apartment your whole life. Must have inherited.
The antediluvian kings colonized the world
All the Gods who play in the mythological dramas
In all legends from all lands were from far Atlantis

Donovan, Atlantis (1968)

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Crazy theory time!

It won't be Gary who'll knock up Peggy, Zii or Didi,

It'll be Matt who'll knock up Yuki! :))

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

Milnoc wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:53 am
Crazy theory time!

It won't be Gary who'll knock up Peggy, Zii or Didi,

It'll be Matt who'll knock up Yuki! :))
Please God no. the last thing we need is a Matt spawn running around in this verse
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

Osaru Sensei
Location: Sweden, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Osaru Sensei »

… Am I missing a strip somewhere, or...?

What's with the heartbeat, Zii?
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:16 pm
She is indeed a wonderful artist who could doubtless turn her hand to anything, but from what I've seen, I don't get the feeling that she's very interested in depicting some of those bits in all their wrinkly Lovecraftian glory.
Wanna chat with me in realtime? Click my webpage button. In case I happen to be online, anyways...
He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it. –– Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé
The very moment I understood Callie was my fav character.
High Priestess in the Church of Brasca