SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

User avatar
Giz
Site Admin
Posts: 3854
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:32 am

SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Giz »

New SDB on Ma3! http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/sdb- ... g-ovation/


And that's a wrap for SDB! Hope you liked! :)

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Huh, yet another? Well, I guess we now know for sure it is the last due to the notice. Still, feels a bit superfluous - granted, I suppose it is ideal to end not with the former "antagonist," but rather with only the titular character and his love interest, despite them being the least interesting couple of the spin-off.
Personally would've preferred a tidy, if sappy and cliched, final chat or even silent montage with Dillon, Ruby, and Amber, over some silly "happily ever after" boink joke between sissy and suddenly commitment man.

Since the Word of God at the footnote states that it isn't necessarily the last we've seen of the characters, that makes me want the previous update to have been the end even more, as to get back to the main comic, but that's probably just some sense of fan-entitlement on my part.

User avatar
brasca
Posts: 3847
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by brasca »

Well I'm sorry to see this come to an end, but at least it was wrapped up instead of left hanging.

Thank you, Gisele Lagace. From Helen Tomalin to Ruby LaRose you've drawn some of my favorite girls in glasses, but the latter didn't fill me with pity. Ruby was a great character and I hope you'll find a way to work her into Menage a 3 or other future series. I probably wouldn't have been invested in this series if it wasn't for her because while I didn't hate Dillon to the extent of others he wasn't an easy guy to like.

I wish you had more time to flesh out some of the other characters's story lines, but I'm satisfied with how everything ended and looking forward to conclusion of Menage a 3 with the same mix of joy and sadness.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 13178
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, well, so that's the end. I'm sorry to see the comic go in general, and being an unrepentant Ruby fan, I could wish especially that we'd seen a little bit more of her story, but at least we got some closure, and it was fun while it lasted.

(Incidentally, assuming that Giz was being meticulous with her spelling here, we have confirmation that Jaxon is straight. Or if he's a typical Ma3-universe character, he's at least chosen to commit to a female partner.)
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 am
Personally would've preferred a tidy, if sappy and cliched, final chat or even silent montage with Dillon, Ruby, and Amber, over some silly "happily ever after" boink joke between sissy and suddenly commitment man.
Yeah, I can agree entirely with that. Being harsh - this felt like rather a weak ending. (If I was going to be judgmental, I could also suggest that two people who react to finding themselves talking about serious commitment is to change the subject and rush off to have a shag -- in a public place, in daylight, even -- have some serious issues to address. But meh, comedy.) Dillon is a bit improved but not especially convincingly, Ruby and Amber still have some work to do on their relationship however good a start they've made, Ruby will doubtless want to investigate the parameters of Andy's sexuality, Amber needs to tell her parents about her porn work, and Amber and Ray's relationship is still a bit of an open question, with Amber's offer to fix Ray up with a gay partner notably left hanging.

And this strip doesn't echo either 151 or 301 that I can see. Total betrayal there.

Well, if Giz ever wants to Kickstart a print SDB comic, series or standalone, I'm up for backing it. (Apparently, Patreon have gone a bit moralistic these days, so sadly, that option may be off the table even if Giz changed her mind. Not that SDB was ever porn.) And if Giz wants ideas for print volume bonus strips, I'm sure that we've all got suggestions, even if 90% do involve Ruby, Andy, and that table.

And I can feel that my fanfic imagining where some of these characters may be going remains plausible.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
brasca
Posts: 3847
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am
Well, if Giz ever wants to Kickstart a print SDB comic, series or standalone, I'm up for backing it. (Apparently, Patreon have gone a bit moralistic these days, so sadly, that option may be off the table even if Giz changed her mind. Not that SDB was ever porn.)
Patreon? Are you sure you don't mean Tumblr?

User avatar
worldshaking00
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: My little slice of Hell in Arizona

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by worldshaking00 »

First off:thanks Giz and the rest of the creative team for giving us Ma3. I am sure that it is a labor of love to produce webcomics basically for free. Readers and fans can be annoying, petulant, entitled, and generally rude. Others can be grateful and enthralled, if over-excitable at the investment into the story you've weaved. I hope that we'll get a story or three each year... maybe seasonally... with these characters. Or another spin-off maybe once your current workload lessens or becomes more manageable. To quote Stephen King, "The muses are ghosts, and sometimes they come uninvited.” One never knows when your imagination will get fired up.

Onto the strip proper, I thought it was a fair enough wrap up. I don't know if having sex in public, potentially risking criminal prosecution, is true love. I also liked the tailgate sticker. Some might argue that such advertisement - branding their affection on their truck - is a stronger display of true love. But whatever, comedy. It is in keeping with Dillon.

It is curious how so few of the characters in Ma3 really consider marriage. Everyone is perfectly happy with casual boning and/or FWB-style relationships. Truth be told,I am not even sure if Gary's admission to Peggy implies marriage... or rather... is just a meek roundabout passive request to be steady with her. If one subscribes to marriage as being solemn, it would tend to make rom-com style random sexual shenanigans rather hard to justify. But there is also plenty of comedy to be had in attaining that goal. Enough to get us through February 2019? No clue. Marriage can also be like a tombstone to a rom-com (plenty of series finales on TV have ended with such proposals); so, I can see the reluctance to use it.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 13178
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:56 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am
Well, if Giz ever wants to Kickstart a print SDB comic, series or standalone, I'm up for backing it. (Apparently, Patreon have gone a bit moralistic these days, so sadly, that option may be off the table even if Giz changed her mind. Not that SDB was ever porn.)
Patreon? Are you sure you don't mean Tumblr?
No, Patreon, as of around a year ago, apparently. But I’m fully aware that Tumblr went all silly more recently. Stupidity is not a finite resource.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
rogermart
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by rogermart »

I liked the wrap, it fits Dillon.

Now, if you had to bring some characters back, I would choose (and put money for):

1. Ruby by a mega-landslide! not even close. She is one of the best characters of the Ma3 universe and she can be explored further.
2. Angel, mostly because I want to see her/his relationship with Richie and her/his shenanigans with Zii now that they're in the same band
3. Amber, mostly because I want to see her improved relationship with Ruby.
4. Ramona, she is an interesting character and her relationship with Jung is cool.

Dillon can appear from time to time, but I don't really feel the need to see him again.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

User avatar
brasca
Posts: 3847
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:21 pm
brasca wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:56 pm
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am
Well, if Giz ever wants to Kickstart a print SDB comic, series or standalone, I'm up for backing it. (Apparently, Patreon have gone a bit moralistic these days, so sadly, that option may be off the table even if Giz changed her mind. Not that SDB was ever porn.)
Patreon? Are you sure you don't mean Tumblr?
No, Patreon, as of around a year ago, apparently. But I’m fully aware that Tumblr went all silly more recently. Stupidity is not a finite resource.
I suppose I never noticed since I get all my erotica from slipshine.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 13178
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Spidrift »

rogermart wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:54 pm
Dillon can appear from time to time, but I don't really feel the need to see him again.
The problem is, well, SDB actually existed because Giz likes Dillon. The clue is in the title, and it’s never been a secret. Amber obviously came with the deal, and then, Giz evidently felt the need for someone who could actually play off Dillon, and as you say, the most interesting character in the comic came into existence. And then the problem was, just because the writer likes a character doesn’t guarantee that they can create especially good plots for that character. Nor did Amber provide any sort of balance, because all her problems — finding a boyfriend, telling her parents about her porn career, discovering why Ruby didn’t seem to like her — turned out to be ones that could be fixed in a single strip each, and she never had much of a personality beyond that. So Ruby took over.

But, I suspect, Giz still actually likes Dillon best of all. And if we get any more SDB stories, it’ll be because Giz wants to write them, not because of audience demand. So they’ll probably still be Dillon stories.

But who knows? We can always hope.
brasca wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:01 pm
I suppose I never noticed since I get all my erotica from slipshine.
The problem isn’t not being able to get erotica (or porn) from Patreon (or Tumblr). Actual dedicated sexualised sources will always be best for that. It’s not being able to get half-decent work with even a hint of sexual content.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JoybuzzerX
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by JoybuzzerX »

This is how it ends? :( Nothing on Ruby and Amber? Ruby do we assume just had sex and it looks like she's with the guy? What about Amber?

VoxPopuli
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by VoxPopuli »

Menage a 3 on the 22nd. YEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!

User avatar
Bat-dork
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:26 am

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by Bat-dork »

Thanks Giz and Dave for all the times you have brought a smile to my face. May the two of you succeed in any future endeavors. Here's hoping you will find an opportunity to bring the whole crew back in the future. They have brought me joy every week for years, sometimes in moments when I really needed something to cheer me up.

User avatar
worldshaking00
Posts: 1118
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: My little slice of Hell in Arizona

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by worldshaking00 »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:51 pm
This is how it ends? :( Nothing on Ruby and Amber? Ruby do we assume just had sex and it looks like she's with the guy? What about Amber?
The name of the comic is Sticky Dilly Buns, so it logically should end with Dillon's buns getting sticky. Ok, maybe not the best opinion but it will work. And technically, one would assume that exact event is about to crescendo.

I understand your frustration. Ruby took over the strip; she is interesting if high strung. I too am one who would like to see more of how she does, as well as more of Amber. But maybe there is good reason to not have two comics playing off one another both of which have sisters as the main cast (i.e. Exorsisters being her high profile paid gig). Give it time. If she gets inspired or another creative team wants to take the steps to play in Giz's make-believe sandbox, we'll get more. If not, we have to enjoy the ride while it lasted.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman
Posts: 640
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: SDB 17-01-19 Standing ovation

Post by samtheman »

Farewell, SDB. Now to see how Ma3 wraps up. I don't think the ending to Ma3 will be as cut and dried as the ending to SDB was.

Post Reply