Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

SDB 08-01-19 Keep looking for drama

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: SDB 08-01-19 Keep looking for drama

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Angel Amber pretty much put a lot of the characters of the series in a nutshell. Aha.
Anyway, Dillon's imagined devil-angel Ruby's imagination provoked him to jump to conclusions? Despite it seeming like Dillon is being driven by his petty jealousy, perhaps he really did process the "keep looking for drama where there is none and you'll keep creating it," and he actually wants the drama, thus is indulging his devil side while fulfilling the ulterior motive of creating drama out of ostensibly nothing.
Though, maybe angelic Amber mentioning Jerzy's already drama-creating ex was a motive for Dillon? In that, he wants another way to "one up" Angel, in spite of already technically *winning* Jerzy back from them. Jerzy seems terribly fickle at best anyway, so perhaps Dillon's subconscious is trying to find a way to sabotage the relationship before it inevitably fails due to Jerzy's and Dillon's own proclivities? Possibly a stretch, but still plausible enough.

"Lick-a-dick" is a fairly funny sound effect. Ha...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Hmm. Slightly more explicit than I usually associate with SDB ("Lick-A-Dick" indeed), though I guess that the rub-rub stuff recently with Andy was similarly clear about things. And never mind the size of Jerzy's trouser python; the scale of Dillon's dickheadedness remains annoying.

Now, the obvious way for the comic to wrap this up on a manageable timescale is for Jerzy to talk Dillon down from his stupidity -- which he really ought to. Because Jerzy claimed to like the way that Dillon "wore his heart on his sleeve", which just means that he likes Dillon being a stupid drama addict -- so it's a bit late for him to complain about it now.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

This strip also identifies a problem with Dillon, that of him thinking deep down that his lovers cheat on him. Yes, there is the injecting drama where there isn't (necessarily) any. But he has trust issues. A few strips more of SDB won't fix that, barring him getting run over by a car or swearing off sex all together.

Jerzy is a man, and men make mistakes. Dillon just is attracted to men who are extra manly it seems.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

It's not really imagined with Jerzy. Seeing as how he was with him when he cheated on Angel as well as knowing that Jerzy had sex with Zii once albeit in a non committed relationship it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

So far Dillon has intruded with an unusual outburst so he might be able to reign in his jealousy before it's too late.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

No surprises here. Dillon will be Dillon. And I'm hoping we get back to Ma3 soon.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:40 pm
This strip also identifies a problem with Dillon, that of him thinking deep down that his lovers cheat on him. Yes, there is the injecting drama where there isn't (necessarily) any. But he has trust issues. A few strips more of SDB won't fix that, barring him getting run over by a car or swearing off sex all together.

Jerzy is a man, and men make mistakes. Dillon just is attracted to men who are extra manly it seems.
Mmm. It’s been pointed out before that if Dillon doesn’t want his partners to cheat on him, he should stop shagging men who cheat on their partners. Or at least, he’d look better if he didn’t boast about thinking that was the case, even if he did doublethink his way out of any responsibility for anything, and even if he did turn out to be believing a load of blatant bullshit.

But Dillon loves drama, and insists on creating it when nobody else obliges. He’s as bad as Sonya, and at least she doesn’t try quite so hard to offload responsibility or play the victim. (She admits that she likes playing the villain.) It’s hard to see how even Jerzy, real-Amber, and real-Ruby, working together, can get him out of that way of thinking before the comic comes to an end.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Ami

Post by Ami »

Hey, how's doing? Been a long time. Like, years. Last time I posted, Gary had just returned from Paris and Kiley had just gotten acquainted with DiDi. Ah, fond memories.

I have always loved Amber, you know? She's what the Japanese call an "angel character" or a "healing character" (iyashi-kei): someone so sweet and pure and tender and full of kindness towards everyone that she heals your soul just by watching her. And, of course, she has the same effect on her fellow cast members. I remember writing about how Amber's warm love for Ruby was slowly healing Ruby's warped soul, and waxing lyrical about the waffiness of it all. And I remember how some rude dude who seemed to have a wet crush on Ruby (Spiffric? not sure) wrote a raving rant in reply, calling Amber a toxic venomous person and a Bad Evil Sister to Ruby's Cinderella-like character. It wouldn't have been a big deal (forums are full of delusional people) if moderator Don Alexander hadn't jumped in to support that guy's viewpoint - claiming to speak as the voice of Giz. Don stated that everything he said as a moderator was the official authorial stance, to be taken as canon; and, according to him, I was wrong and the other guy was right: Amber was officially an evil bitch and Ruby officially her poor victim, and that was the gospel truth because he said so, so there.

It didn't take long to debunk that. Some of us went to Giz for confirmation, and Giz replied that Don Alexander wasn't part of the creative team and had zero authority when it came to canon: his opinions were those of a simple fan, nothing more. That was very humiliating for Don. He went hysterical with shame and started harassing me with hateful hissy pms where he furiously demanded that I left the forum. I eventually did just that: I wrote one last message to tell Don that he sucked wet farts out of dead cows, and never returned after that. Leave the lunatic moderators and their pets to their delusions, is what I thought.

I don't even know if Don is still a mod and if that other dude, Spiffric or whatevs, still writes in the forum (didn't bother to check). But, if they are still around, I can only imagine their rage at the recent developments. Hot patootie, bless my soul, Amber did heal Ruby's soul with the power of love! And Ruby acknowledged it! And Amber now appears as an angel on the shoulder of other characters, speaking words of good and right! While Ruby appears as a horny (in every sense of the word) amalgamation of disparate entities who only speaks her own wishes, like the selfish little thing she always was! Talk about establishing canon once and for all! Healing character: check. Angel character: check. After all this time, we finally have a conclusive Word of God to settle the debate. Well done, Giz-sama!

Years have gone by, but some things have never changed. With every new strip, I love this series a little bit more. And I feel a little bit closer to Giz. :-bd

(Oh, btw, whoever's a mod right now, feel free to close this here account, mkay? I already said my victory speech, I don't need it anymore.)

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:57 pm
But Dillon loves drama, and insists on creating it when nobody else obliges. He’s as bad as Sonya, and at least she doesn’t try quite so hard to offload responsibility or play the victim. (She admits that she likes playing the villain.) It’s hard to see how even Jerzy, real-Amber, and real-Ruby, working together, can get him out of that way of thinking before the comic comes to an end.
Giz posted on FB recently her personal fondness for yaoi. Perhaps Dillon's drama, or our perception of Dillon as being addicted/attracted to drama, stems from that? And in that, I don't mean that Dillon is flirty/flouncy/campy. Those are traits I associate with Dillon's nature. I am meaning that Dillon's hardships(?) are written so that he gets time on stage/on panel.

I also expect that his particular attraction to overly handsome men who also happen to be weak-willed and/or sleaze is a major part of his problem. While he was attracted to Gary's butt (and probably had no issues with his star power considering how often he snuck into Gary's bed) I think Dillon was attracted to Gary because he was kind and trustworthy. Just my two cents.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

...great, the Lesbian Incest Cerberus is back.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:46 am
Giz posted on FB recently her personal fondness for yaoi. Perhaps Dillon's drama, or our perception of Dillon as being addicted/attracted to drama, stems from that?
Umm, the last couple of strips have consisted of a figure out of Dillon’s own head explicitly pointing out that Dillon’s problem is that he’s addicted to drama, and makes it when it isn’t required. That’s his character. It’s how Giz created him. Can’t get much clearer than that. Our “perception” of Dillon is what Giz deliberately and clearly writes.

(And yes, the result is cast in the form of yaoi, because that’s a melodramatic genre with gay sex, so it fits his idea of his life, and Giz knows and likes it. It’s a convenient label.)
---------
Spidrift