SDB 20-12-18 Of course it was you

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

SDB 20-12-18 Of course it was you

Post by Giz »

New SDB on Ma3 is up! http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/sdb- ... t-was-you/

Happy holidays, everyone! See you end of next week! :)

Judanas

Re: SDB 20-12-18 Of course it was you

Post by Judanas »

Careful, you two. This is dangerously close to being two functional human beings.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Panned out as I had expected, which is a good thing in this case, as it is nice moment of character growth, rather than pointless melodrama. Although, I didn't expect Gary's oddly terrifying laughter in the second panel, however, I guess if I imagined "exasperated and incredulous laughter," that would be pretty close to what I'd think.
Aside from that pecularity (which wasn't bad, just odd), lots of excellent expression work in the update.

It is quite unfortunate, maybe *sweet* if we go on a stretch, that Gary's first time of hearing the romantic confession of love is from a man, who has been weirdly one of the more productive supporters of his Gary's maturing - not for lack of not trying(?) - from advice to practiced kissing (albeit, unknowingly with sexual undertones).

Perhaps it will just be one-off little joke, but there is the possibility the "I love you," recording could come back to bite; granted, with the end so close in sight, it seems unlikely such a dramatic twist would happen.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I honestly never realized no one had said "I love you " to Gary before this.

rubberchickencircuit

Post by rubberchickencircuit »

Judanas wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:06 am
Careful, you two. This is dangerously close to being two functional human beings.
Oh, I don't know... Gary's face as he laughs seems right on the edge of unhinged—like he wants to laugh the situation off, but is terrified he can't. (And then what, he thinks? Will Dillon become a crazed stalker? Will Dillon be painfully hurt?)

And Dillon—well, I feel sorry for Dillon. As flighty, flirty, and silly as he often is, I think his love for Gary is quite genuine, based more on the insecure boy Gary used to be; that Gary, however, is gone, and now that Dillon has grown responsible enough for him, he no longer exists.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 am
I hadn't thought about it, but I can just about believe it. Assuming that all the cast are careful with the phrase and don't use it frivolously, the only one who might have gone there is Yuki... Though I'd have thought that she might well have said it in passing.

Anyhow, this seems to be just another phase in the extended wrap-up of a plot thread that means more to the writers than to me. I could also say that it yet again confirms my low opinion of Dillon. This conversation has gone about as well as he could have hoped, with Gary happy to treat him as a friend and not remembering or complaining about his past obsessive creepiness, and everyone is free to move on. And yet, Dillon still has to take a recording, to give him an enduring focus for the pointless obsession that could just possibly damage his current, viable relationship. But in the end, it's just Dillon never changing (enough); apparently, Jerzy actually loves him for his flakiness, and I get the feeling that Giz feels the same, so he's not going to get better now.

On which basis, I can hope that this strip marks the end of the scene, and we can move onto something more dramatically interesting at the end of next week. A brief scene between Dillon and Ruby might tie off a few more stray plot strands.
rubberchickencircuit wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:19 am
And Dillon—well, I feel sorry for Dillon. As flighty, flirty, and silly as he often is, I think his love for Gary is quite genuine, based more on the insecure boy Gary used to be; that Gary, however, is gone, and now that Dillon has grown responsible enough for him, he no longer exists.
Leaving aside the whole "Gary being straight" problem-ette.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 am
Cortez wrote:
I hadn't thought about it, but I can just about believe it. Assuming that all the cast are careful with the phrase and don't use it frivolously, the only one who might have gone there is Yuki... Though I'd have thought that she might well have said it in passing.
Perhaps Yuki said it to him in Japanese?* Though, it probably would mean more in one's own native language. Arguably, she could've said it to him after their "love-making," which would mean he wouldn't have been conscious to hear it, thus not quite the successful romantic sentiment.

*Like she did for the evidently beloved Matt, who didn't get it, as his usual ignorance was, in that case, of an admittedly more understandable reason of a language barrier.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Cortez wrote:
Indeed. Kiley and Yuki had strong feelings for him, but never said they loved him and others have been interested. I think Peggy might love him, but is too scared to get into a relationship again after her previous engagement fell through.

Nice to see some communication that doesn't get distorted for farcical reasons.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I can believe Gary hasn't gotten to hear those magic words. Everyone has been using him as a doormat or for his tongue, or as an unwitting tool in their own madness. They might love him for what he provides for them, but they haven't really loved him for himself. Romantically at least. I am sure his mom loves him.

Which strikes me weird considering Peggy's reaction last we met her, since she has proved to be one of the more empathetic characters in the strip (if not most). She is human, so she is allowed her own insecurities too; not faulting her for reacting as she did. But I am hoping that in the wobbly downtime, she decides some way - any way - to reply back to Gary, rather than to just pretend his confession didn't happen. Even if she just states that she is very touched by his admission to her and needs a little more time to decide what is best for her, Gary should understand. It wouldn't be a total rebuff of his affection if she explained once again her insecurity about commiting as deeply as she did with her ex-fiance.

I haven't reread Yuki's strips. She might have mentioned it (loving Gary) as being coy, and if she did I'd bet a dozen donuts it was in Japanese (aishiteru?) but I'm probably wrong. Not having his lovers state their affection for him might have been on purpose by the creative team.

As far as Dillon, he looks a little put off by Gary's outburst of laughter. Understandably so, considering the public environment and that Dillon just opened up to his emotions to Gary. But Dillon did not react poorly. He had a clear mind, realizing why Gary's reaction was taken by Gary. He also remembered Jerzy, which to me means he is invested into Jerzy (if for no other reason than he is hot and good in bed). Dillon's love for Jerzy is another story. I'm curious as to what in particular draws Dillon to Gary: innocence (or naivety), gentleness, loyalty, or just his buns? As friends go, Gary has many strong qualities of a good friend.

Dillon recording Gary was a little cheesy, considering how they are opening up to the other. Considering his fetish for 'in-the-buff' photography, I'm not surprised at him doing it. Also, required panel 4 gag. I would have preferred Dillon & Gary just finishing their coffee in peace, realizing how much the other means to them. But, "file it under Dillon being Dillon" seems to be the motif as of late. If the creative team is using Dillon more like a mile marker, letting other characters move past him to gauge their own character growth, then it makes more sense for him to be cheesy in panel 4. It's probably reading too much into it though, as the panel 4 punchline/gag also helps to end a chapter on a happy note (if not more solemn).

Question: has Gary said he has loved someone, even if under his breath or in passing behind the recipient's back? And I mean real 'desire-to-be-with-you' love, not in the same vein as in sex RP or wanking to Amber-Amber early on. The adage of "it takes two to tango" has some merit here. If Gary can't bring himself to say those words too, expecting another to say them first is awkward. Part of this entire comic line-up has been about discovering what love is, and how it can grow into our out of physical love/lust. Being able to recognize the spiritual connection and not being clouded by the physical-only aspects of opening up to another human is where I am going with this line of inquiry. Everyone has crushes in this story, hence all the rampant boinking. Was the real point the creative team is trying to get across to us is that Gary thinks he has matured enough to be spiritually/mentally in love? And for Dillon, that his opening up to Gary will allow him to move along with Jerzy while being able to reminisce about what could have been with Gary a la Ray.

And Merry Christmas y'all.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Who knows, maybe Ma3 will end with one of the women in Gary's life confessing her love to him. But it's looking like that's only going to be Peggy because all of the other women in Gary's life have moved on with their lives. I myself don't think we are going to get a mutual love confession between Gary and Peggy. I'm predicting that Gary's side of the story will end with him remaining single but happy and content. Or perhaps Gary will end up in a dysfunctional relationship again because comedy.

As for the current comic's punchline, Dillon continues to be Dillon. Hopefully SDB is wrapped up with the next update and we can move on to the final chapter of Ma3. But I'm not expecting any big plot twists or "rug pulls" as someone was mentioning on here. I'm thinking more of a winding down and maybe finalizing certain overarching plots.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Peggy will be a fine end-game for Gary, but not until she gets over whatever is making her afraid of emotional intimacy.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:41 pm
As friends go, Gary has many strong qualities of a good friend.
Gary-now is a decent guy who’d be a valuable friend. Gary when he first appeared (and when Dillon first fell for him)... Not so much. He was exactly the kind of screwed-ip, oblivious geek who I’ve always found rather hard work as friends. They need a lot of support and lack the understanding to provide any in return. I mean, not a horrible guy, and cynically rather amusing to watch sometimes, but a bit too much of a whiny mess.
If the creative team is using Dillon more like a mile marker, letting other characters move past him to gauge their own character growth, then it makes more sense for him to be cheesy in panel 4.
Note that this is supposed to be Dillon’s comic. Though as I’ve said before, there are good reasons why Ruby stole it from him.
Question: has Gary said he has loved someone, even if under his breath or in passing behind the recipient's back?
Don’t forget the talk that Dillon and Amber had with Gary about Yuki. That established specifically that Gary hadn’t told anyone that he loved them, and that being able to do so with a straight face was a crucial test of a relationship. Gary then failed the test with Yuki, and I think that he took the lesson to heart; if he ever said the words to anyone else, it’d be an important moment.

Incidentally, it occurs to me that Dillon’s next step, logically, after this, should be having a heart-to-heart with Ray. (See the strip immediately before this one.) If that happens, well, the boring possibility would basically be a repeat of this scene. A more interesting version might bring Amber in, and possibly recall her promise to Ray to find him a gay partner who was less toxic than Nathan. Not that Dillon should really be that partner, of course.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I wonder what would have happened if Gary had said "I love you" romantically to Dillon. Would he have remained faithful to Jerzy?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Somebody on another forum just pointed out that Gary is being simply factually wrong here; even within the comic, his first kiss wasn't with Dillon, it was with DiDi. Indeed, that was what led to him kissing Dillon. And if the DiDi kiss somehow doesn't count, why should the Dillon one?
---------
Spidrift

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:49 pm
Somebody on another forum just pointed out that Gary is being simply factually wrong here; even within the comic, his first kiss wasn't with Dillon, it was with DiDi. Indeed, that was what led to him kissing Dillon. And if the DiDi kiss somehow doesn't count, why should the Dillon one?
I don't think even a guy with healthy self-esteem, much less the often self-effacing Gary, would count his first kiss as one in which he didn't participate except by being physically present. As soon as DiDi grabbed him, Gary froze, unable to process what was happening, and was catatonic at most a few seconds later. There was certainly some manipulation leading up to his kiss with Dillon, but Gary did own that kiss-- "I kissed a guy," he shouted afterwards-- in a way that I don't think he ever did with Didi-in-the-comic-store.