SDB 18-12-18 Honest with friends

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: SDB 18-12-18 Honest with friends

Post by Spidrift »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:48 am
Well, do we know how long after the events with Peggy and Gary this meeting with Dillion is?
It’s “no relevant plot events” later. That is the only measure of time that matters in these comics. Trying to determine actual but unstated time-intervals is a fool’s game.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 am
Oh, come on, don't be a jerk about a typo.
People who can’t even get character names right bug me. Though I’ve been heroically silent about the weird and inexplicable “Dillion” until now.
Hell, if I could pick one thing that would be ideal, it would the believable way to destroy the mistake of a relationship between Yuki and Matt.
Ah, the Matt-hate. The guy is certainly often a jerk, and I guess that some people take it personally, but that just leads to a lot of unhappiness and misreading of the comic.

God knows how those people handle the Iron Man movies.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:50 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 am
Oh, come on, don't be a jerk about a typo.
People who can’t even get character names right bug me. Though I’ve been heroically silent about the weird and inexplicable “Dillion” until now.
Hell, if I could pick one thing that would be ideal, it would the believable way to destroy the mistake of a relationship between Yuki and Matt.
Ah, the Matt-hate. The guy is certainly often a jerk, and I guess that some people take it personally, but that just leads to a lot of unhappiness and misreading of the comic.

God knows how those people handle the Iron Man movies.
Pet peeves happen to all, I guess. Just the poster misspelled it once to my knowledge, so it seemed a tad harsh to harp on them for the error.

I don't like, probably obviously, having my disdain for Matt disregarded as "Matt-hate." A comparison had been made (maybe by by you, I can't recall) to the main characters of Seinfeld, as they were high functioning sociopaths, yet the audience could still like them. Yet Matt is just a one-note nothing of a character with a disproportionate sense of self-worth, which could apply to many other characters, I admit, but he is the most boring. If he wasn't so boring, it probably wouldn't reduce my dislike of him by much, but I refute the accusation of being a simple "hater."
Also, I don't quite understand the Iron Man comparison. Tony Stark is an egomaniac too, but he is a genius and superhero, regardless of the times he did it for his own ego, Stark is ultimately a noble person with arrogance. Matt is arrogant and has no talents other than apparently being "exceptionally attractive," yet has an ego befitting a delusional megalomaniac.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

Sombody has a new ring tone :D

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am
I don't like, probably obviously, having my disdain for Matt disregarded as "Matt-hate."
It walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck...
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Matt is arrogant and has no talents other than apparently being "exceptionally attractive," yet has an ego befitting a delusional megalomaniac.
Matt isn't just model-grade attractive; just to begin with, he knows how to work it. He's actually one of the few characters in the comics with a degree of emotional intelligence -- which, of course, he abuses to enable his string of seductions, but like him or not, he's smart by Ma3-universe standards. There was a reason why he was the only character to offer the similarly smart Kiley an extended relationship which she actually enjoyed, even if it did end badly. He also uses his practical smarts to be a technically skilled lover; DiDi noted the fact, and it was fairly clear that he helped Gary move on from being a one-trick pony with a tendency to premature ejaculation to being a worthwhile bedmate.

Which was also typical of Matt; when he doesn't have skin in the game, and he maybe gets a chance to show off his superiority, he defaults to being a nice, helpful guy. He was actually the first character in SDB to be nice and kind to Ruby without ulterior motives, pressure of family loyalty, or causing her almost as much pain as he solved. (And he proved his smarts by making "Rudy" at a glance, when even Amber was clueless.) More heroically, he set out to help Yuki even though he was actually in reasonable fear of having his junk ripped off.

He's very often an arsehole, sure, but (like Tony Stark) he has a fair amount of justification for his smugness, and he seems to be heading for the sort of ambiguous redemption that doesn't involve becoming a plaster saint.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:00 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
I don't like, probably obviously, having my disdain for Matt disregarded as "Matt-hate."
It walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck...
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Matt is arrogant and has no talents other than apparently being "exceptionally attractive," yet has an ego befitting a delusional megalomaniac.
Matt isn't just model-grade attractive; just to begin with, he knows how to work it. He's actually one of the few characters in the comics with a degree of emotional intelligence -- which, of course, he abuses to enable his string of seductions, but like him or not, he's smart by Ma3-universe standards. There was a reason why he was the only character to offer the similarly smart Kiley an extended relationship which she actually enjoyed, even if it did end badly. He also uses his practical smarts to be a technically skilled lover; DiDi noted the fact, and it was fairly clear that he helped Gary move on from being a one-trick pony with a tendency to premature ejaculation to being a worthwhile bedmate.

Which was also typical of Matt; when he doesn't have skin in the game, and he maybe gets a chance to show off his superiority, he defaults to being a nice, helpful guy. He was actually the first character in SDB to be nice and kind to Ruby without ulterior motives, pressure of family loyalty, or causing her almost as much pain as he solved. (And he proved his smarts by making "Rudy" at a glance, when even Amber was clueless.) More heroically, he set out to help Yuki even though he was actually in reasonable fear of having his junk ripped off.

He's very often an arsehole, sure, but (like Tony Stark) he has a fair amount of justification for his smugness, and he seems to be heading for the sort of ambiguous redemption that doesn't involve becoming a plaster saint.
First of all, that hurt. I know it is silly to be "offended" by some anonymous forum person, but I am my words, so them being discarded is essentially the same as calling me trash.

In more civil terms, I wasn't clear with all of my posturing about "bad character." I don't mean "badly written character," I just mean he is an abhorrent person, with that interaction with the disguised Ruby as an exception, not the proof to him being a "nice, helpful guy." He is one of the most selfish of the series full of selfish characters. He plays charming, but he isn't charming. You could list what you deem are his merits, which I would argue as faults, and vice versa.
In a more extreme comparison, there is as much similarity between Satan and Tony Stark as there is between Matt and Stark, if simply for the vice of pride. Being strongly self-assured doesn't equate to being a decent individual... neither does it make entirely fitting character parallels.