Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

SDB 18-12-18 Honest with friends

Post by Giz »

Cortez

Re: SDB 18-12-18 Honest with friends

Post by Cortez »

Guess he's still not over Gary. Though it could be he just needed to tell him.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Gary's final reaction is quite amusing. Though, I wonder if Dillon will play it off as a joke or "love as friend?" It seems most likely that he is merely following Gary's suggestion to get the feelings out so he can properly move on, happy or bittersweet, which would be one of the rare occasions in which Dillon is sensible. As *greedy* as Dillon is, I don't think he is confessing love with any expectation for requited feelings, thereby emphasising the notion that he - whether or not he sticks to a serious confession - is getting the burden off his chest.

On a tangent, I will never not be bummed that Yuki and Matt ended up together. State "symbiotic sexual dysfunctions" or whatever, it is sad that an emotionally vibrant if volitile Yuki ends up with the emotional black hole of the whorish, faithless Matt. Yuki has an artistic spirit, and Matt is a talentless piece of meat; there are less grounds for the pairing than Zii and DiDi, and their relationship is purely physical and mostly hollow.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Damn it Dillon. Now watch Angel be at that same cafe recording the conversation with a phone.

And how many more updates are we going to get for SDB?

As for Yuki and Matt, they probably won't last much longer. I'm now betting that during the final chapter of Ma3, Yuki will walk in on Matt cheating on her with Kiley.

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:46 am
Gary's final reaction is quite amusing. Though, I wonder if Dillon will play it off as a joke or "love as friend?" It seems most likely that he is merely following Gary's suggestion to get the feelings out so he can properly move on, happy or bittersweet, which would be one of the rare occasions in which Dillon is sensible. As *greedy* as Dillon is, I don't think he is confessing love with any expectation for requited feelings, thereby emphasising the notion that he - whether or not he sticks to a serious confession - is getting the burden off his chest.

On a tangent, I will never not be bummed that Yuki and Matt ended up together. State "symbiotic sexual dysfunctions" or whatever, it is sad that an emotionally vibrant if volitile Yuki ends up with the emotional black hole of the whorish, faithless Matt. Yuki has an artistic spirit, and Matt is a talentless piece of meat; there are less grounds for the pairing than Zii and DiDi, and their relationship is purely physical and mostly hollow.
I'm happy for Dillon to be getting this off his chest. I wonder if he'll elaborate on it, that even back when he was with Matt it was Gary he truly wanted(Now if only Matt was around to hear it) beyond just flirting and making him uncomfortable for his own amusement. That there was a genuine attraction there, not just for his body but his personality and sweet nature.

Matt and Yuki's relationship is mutually beneficial, but I think it'll ultimately end up disappointing them both. Yuki liked Gary for their similar tastes, and his patience with her childishness and broken psyche. Matt only fulfills half that mold, what's more the sexual satisfaction won't last because it's dependent on Yuki's hallucinations and violence, which will no doubt slowly but surely reduce over time the more and more accustomed she gets to the male genitalia. Until she's finally over her fear, no longer has her psychotic fits, and Matt is driven to find a new thrill.

(Although, I am interested to see Yuki's reaction to Senna's body. I'd LOVE to see how she processes a woman with male genitals)
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Gary probably suspected all along, but now Dillon finally confessed his love for Gary. The reaction should be interesting.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I guess that Giz reckons that Dillon doesn't get adequate closure, enough to justify stopping the comic with his name on it, until he gets this out in the open. It still rather reinforces the impression of Dillon as an idiot with no middle gears, though, and I can't see it generating much plot. I mean, what next? A strip or two of explanation, Gary presumably accepts the idea, everything carries on much as before? Where's the interest in that? Even in the grossly unlikely event of Gary running out of the room in terror or punching Dillon in the mouth for all the past sexual assaults, it adds very little to anything.

I guess we could now have Dillon running around, over-sharing everything with everyone, and ending the comic friendless and alone. But we won't.

We also see more of Gary mk.2, the empathetic and even wise mature adult. The trouble is, it looks like a total rewrite of the code, rather than a stable upgrade.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Froboi

Post by Froboi »

I think its interesting hearing Gary update us (not really) on the status of his relationship with Peggy. Clearly his confession didn't result in anything official between them, but the last we saw them, Peggy seemed very taken by the idea of a relationship with Gary. Granted, as the voice of reason in the cast, she wouldn't be quick to make things official with Gary after such a long unhappy relationship, but Gary isn't stating that they've gotten closer - if anything it sounds like he's accepted that nothing will come from it and he'll be happy just as friends, but I feel like Peggy's reaction from her last panel would suggest their relationship moving in a positive direction, not a neutral/negative one.

As far as the Dillion confession goes, Lord knows he's dropped enough hints and subtle clues that even Gary should have noticed by now, so its good to finally have it out in the open. No way the series ends with a DillonxGary pairing, but I think this will be good development for both of them.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

I, for one,love the way this wrap up is going. ❤️😛

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I liked this strip. I feel it is nice Dillon finally put his cards on the table in front of Gary, with Gary not being able to file Dillon's antics under "just being Dillon." It shouldn't go anywhere, since Gary is comfortable where he is right now (presumably, since he isn't pining over Peggy leaving him for his revelation). Plus he knows what he is wanting and mk.2 Gary has learned how to express his feelings and to say 'no'.

I really wanted Giz to insert Peggy's name into panel 3. Gary is reverting to waffling a bit by not letting Dillon know about the woman he loves and instead referring to her as 'casual partner'. Maybe that is Gary subconsciously not wanting to hurt Dillon's homosexual feelings toward him. I also wanted that statement from Gary to be less ambiguous. I would have preferred Gary to have said "Not long ago, I told my long-time casual FWB Peggy that I was ready to be... more than casual with her." It shows more conviction, and would have made Dillon's reveal less likely to happen. Or maybe it still would have happened, since Dillon's unrequitedness could finally get resolved by having Dillon extinguish the torch he's been carrying for him.

I think Peggy and Dillon should meet. I don't see how their personalities would clash, as long as Dillon respects Peggy & Gary's FWB relationship... with perhaps a Dillon tease or two just to make Gary blush.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

samtheman wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 am
Damn it Dillon. Now watch Angel be at that same cafe recording the conversation with a phone.

And how many more updates are we going to get for SDB?

As for Yuki and Matt, they probably won't last much longer. I'm now betting that during the final chapter of Ma3, Yuki will walk in on Matt cheating on her with Kiley.
I’d like for her to return, but not that way.

And it would serve Dillon right if Angel was there, but I would hope they could finally learn about how Jerzy cheated on them. After that Angel can give up this obsession and move on with Richie.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I got the impression that all the Dillon-Jerzy-Angel-Richie crap had come out, blown up, and settled down in the period of SDB’s inactivity. If so, that’s all dealt with now, and none of it will be raked over in the limited number of strips remaining.

Heck, the Ruby/Amber stuff may be considered to have reached an adequate break point. I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if SDB ends with or very soon after the end of this conversation. There’s other things I’d love to see dealt with in more detail, but we may at most get some one-off strips in the indeterminate future.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

I feel like there is a gif that would perfectly encapsulate the moment, but I just can’t find it...
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

brasca wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:59 pm
I’d like for her to return, but not that way.
Be careful what you wish for and all that.

Patton
Location: Terran Empire, California Province, Earldom of Orange

Post by Patton »

Then you should have made Gary pancakes! Or was it waffles? Oh gosh, I have to go back through the volumes...
The antediluvian kings colonized the world
All the Gods who play in the mythological dramas
In all legends from all lands were from far Atlantis

Donovan, Atlantis (1968)