Giz
Site Admin

SDB 13-12-18 Never got my signals

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: SDB 13-12-18 Never got my signals

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Overall pleasant conversation.
Gary is oblivious to "normal" signs of attraction from others, so can't begrudge him for not noticing Dillon's feelings; also, the fact that Gary had severe confidence issues that made him think nobody would be attracted to him at all, thus adding to inert sense of unawareness.
Sort of rehashing the "Gary doesn't hear/understand Dillon's indirect confession" gag, though since it is nearing the end of the story, throwbacks are to be expected.

Dillon is being a bit of... an ingrate? Being a "hopeless romantic," in that he pines after those whom are never likely to be his romantic partner, *is* something that is a part of Dillon's character; the point is that even though he supposedly has the "perfect man" (highly debatable, but I digress), he still seems to covet the one who wasn't ever realistically going to date him. Perhaps some broken and unrequited loves always leave a scar, however, it makes Dillon - for lack of a better term - an intolerably greedy person; his "triumph" acquiring Jerzy wasn't endearing to begin with, so having him longing towards Gary undermines the supposed victory.

While uncertain, I guess the movie project could be shown in more detail in bonus stories in the ultimate release? Probably a frame or two shown on a cinema screen watched by various members of the cast, or simply on TV in a critic show.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Agreed that the conversation is pleasant, framing their end game. Plus, Dillon being Dillon. He will forever be a flirt. And technically, I guess it isn't the most horrible thing he could be doing... commenting on Gary's behind. Although, it does bring into question his actual love affair with Jerzy. Is Dillon actually happy, knowing that the lovers he usually end up with have interesting if not complicated sex lives? Signs point to 'yes', but still - he does carry a torch. I won't begrudge him some wistful romanticism. "Ingrate"... maybe. Hopeless dramatic flirt - definitely. Dillon's love life revolves around sex. Does he have tender yet mundane moments with Jerzy too (going shopping, watching TV, etc.)?

Continuing their end game conversation, I am still hoping Gary brings up his love life. Reinforcing his heterosexuality and that he is happy (maybe... since Peggy hasn't figuratively come out of the bathroom yet) would help reinforce boundaries and give Dillon a chance to offer some potential advice.

My only real issue with this strip is that the only new piece of information is that Dark Matter is an active and progressive studio. Having Dillon flirt, unless it is a set-up, seems like a bit of a waste of time considering the precious few number of panels left. We know Dillon is fond of Gary, and we know it won't go anywhere. Ramble... old jokes... the end is upon us, etc.

See you next week!
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

In Gary's case I don't think it was that his head was made of cement, but that his spine was made of jelly. I think Gary knew how Dillon felt about him, but was too accommodating to refuse him.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

He probably didn’t miss Dillon’s signals.

It was probably more like, he filed them away in his mental cabinet under the heading of “Dillon being Dillon,” because he’s straight and Dillon knows that.

It probably just didn’t occur to him that a gay man would truly, honestly be pining for him.

Probably.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I confess that I’m not really sure what the point of this strip is. Showing that Dillon and Gary are still friends? Well duh. Making a joke about Gary’s obluviousness? It’s a very small joke, and that was never a big thing with Gary. (He isn’t Andy.) It just feels like filler to me. But, yeah — filler now?

And am I the only reader here who thinks that The Gay Defender (if that’s the title) sounds set to be a bloody awful movie? A superhero movie in which the hero happened to be gay could be great, but one which puts the fact in the title, or at least in the hero’s hero name, is likely to be clunky or preachy. And throwing in a fairly explicit gay sex scene may be risky for audience appeal, I sadly fear.
lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 pm

It was probably more like, he filed them away in his mental cabinet under the heading of “Dillon being Dillon,” because he’s straight and Dillon knows that.

It probably just didn’t occur to him that a gay man would truly, honestly be pining for him.

Probably.
Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense to me. Gary isn’t Mr Socially Sensitive, but he really isn’t Andy; the idea that he noticed Dillon’s flirty attitude, but just filed it under “Dillon”, is quite in keeping.

Whether the authors actually meant it that way is another question.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 pm
the idea that he noticed Dillon’s flirty attitude, but just filed it under “Dillon”, is quite in keeping.
Gary had to have woken up many times to Dillon spooning him, and/or with some morning wood poking inappropriately. Gary did not appreciate it, but he accommodated Dillon's eccentricities with only a little resistance. Dillon is a good guy to Gary, and had the decency to not push or pry his sexuality onto Gary. Argument could be made that Dillon dressing himself up as Amber-Amber in order to get Gary to be more romantic with him; however, I feel that Dillon was doing Gary more of a favor... and happened to get some kissy-face from the butt-monkey. Dillon was pretending to be female, even taking pains to calm Gary down once he realized he was kissing a man and started to freak out. Pretty sure that Didi has asked more out of Gary than Dillon ever did... even ZIi's photographic tomfoolery still places her moraly above Didi.

It is difficult to know whether Gary was accommodating to Dillon's sleeping with him because his spine was "jelly" as @brasca mentioned. Or, if was lonely. Or if he just did not have the words and trusted Dillon to not take advantage of him? Remember that at around this time Gary was confused as to his sexuality, not knowing exactly what he wanted. He thought he wanted a woman as a lover, but he had certain twinges when an attractive man was involved. Also Senna. Mind you, getting schooled by Matt and getting his fill of threesomes was enough to make him confident in what he was interested in seeking for a lover. But that is now.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I would have to agree with Spidrift in that this update feels like filler or padding to me as well.

Judanas

Post by Judanas »

I think Dillon is more interested in being in love, than the lover. Wanting someone and not being able to have them lets him experience what he wants, as does chasing someone but once he has them it rapidly loses the excitement for him.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

I actually don't mind this strip. It feels sort of like an "after action" summary, where we see that these characters have more or less resolved some major challenges, and life is good now. Maybe not perfect, but ... good.

VoxPopuli

Post by VoxPopuli »

I agree with this feeling like padding.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Probably.
I agree with the first part. I'm not sure about the second. However, as he is a straight male, he just didn't care enough to notice.