Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

SDB 11-12-18 He is perfect

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: SDB 11-12-18 He is perfect

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Dillon's standards have been superficial at best, so Jerzy's attractiveness certainty doesn't equate to "perfection." Anyone that texts pictures of their half-naked bodies are perfect at cringe.
Back to standards: Dillon's more... heartfelt(?) attraction to Gary isn't really that heartfelt; it has more justification than his purely physical stuff with Matt and Jerzy, but is doomed to be unrequited. I guess credit to Dillon for not forcing his feelings upon Gary, though there has been more than one occasion upon which Dillon took advantage of Gary's naïveté (granted, those instances were for the sake of comedy over anything else).

Still, I wonder what Gary and Dillon will have to discuss. I don't think they haven't seen each other for that long, though ther have been relatively significant changes in their respective love lives - Gary's sort-of one with Peggy (which is still up in the air at the moment, although possibly a confirmed ship), and Dillon's with the far less than "perfect" Jerzy. Perhaps they will converse about their love lives, as there doesn't seem to be any other similar interests that they could talk about; maybe it will be a *sweet, swan song* or maybe just a little comedic exchange filled with one-sided innuendo.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

as I snort my coffee :D

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Well, that resolves the Ray issue in short order. Now for the Gary issue.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Don't do anything incriminating Dillon. You never know who might have a camera handy.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Sigh. Back to basic stuff like “Dillon is a dickhead”. Well, at least I’m reminded why I was never all that interested in a comic about him.

I guess that we’re heading for a simple, functional wrap-up; Ruby has a love life and her business dreams are going somewhere, she and Amber have at least a start on patching up their relationship, and Dillon not only has a thing working with Jerzy but can now put his obsession with Gary behind him. Though I thought he already had, so this feels a bit arbitrary now. Well, we’ll see where it goes.

(I’d be more interested in Amber getting round to telling her parents about her old job, and how the fallout affects Ruby, but hey ho, guess we’ll never see that.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I'm hoping that Gary bumping into Dillon will lead to Gary talking about Peggy, which in turn will segue back to her. I think I would have preferred one more strip of Amber & Ruby - or Ruby and Andy perhaps... or even Ruby sharing her experience with Andy to Minew - but the story must go on. I was starting to get invested into the adventurous side of Ruby and it is a shame to have to leave. But at least we have an idea that, even if Ruby & Andy aren't permanent, she has had some solid character growth and should be on solid footing for the near future.

As I posted before, the comic needs to end with a Dillon-centric story; the strip is named after him after all. Even if it ends with Dillon being torn between two romantic rivals a la Archie/Betty/Veronica, it still places him center stage. One of the main reasons he left was to give Gary the space he needed to grow into his own sexuality (and to not be constantly pining over him). It makes logical sense for Gary to return to Dillon, exclaim his successes and failures, and announce his intentions for the future... sort of even getting his blessing since DIllon & Gary are still good friends.

Although I would be curious to see how Dillon responds should Gary's details of the grapefruiting incident and about his penchant for getting pegged by the woman he loves actually come from Gary's lips... after Dillon feints of course.

Dillon's final arc could be about verbally admitting to Gary about how he felt about him. Dillon has had enough time for the 'wound' to heal over, even if it might 'ache' from time-to-time. Jerzy's 'physical therapy' certainly has helped Dillon! Maybe Gary could even give Dillon some advice on love and relationships, seeing as how he has doled out some good advice to Yuki & Matt & Zii in the not-so-distant past. Like, enjoying what you have (to help narrow the focus of DIllon's flirting). I think it would also be cute/interesting for them to wonder what could have been, as I expect something similar to that to occur between Gary & Zii when their time comes.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Gary is the one Dillon could never have, hence Dillon's ongoing obsession with him. Let's hope he starts to get over that in this arc.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

Is it just me who doesn't really get why people are calling Dillon a douche here? Sure he's comparing Jerzy to other potential dates/exes, but that just emphasizes how much he likes his current boyfriend and how he wants to settle with him, no?

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

It’s the Pixie Trix forums. People will find things to complain about. If it’s not there, they’ll make it there.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

A wild Gary appears!

Maybe this is when we'll see Dillon finally and conclusively get over Gary.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Well, what we're going to see here, ostensibly, is the final push that brings SDB to an end. Of course the last few strips will be about the character it's named after.

I'll be interested to see what Dillon's final 'arc' actually ends up being. I will, admittedly, be a little disappointed if it turns out that his big change is realizing he's been wasting his time holding a torch for a straight man, and that it's time to let Gary go completely and move on with his life.

But that disappointment will not be because it is a weak arc. It will be because I know it had to be that way, because the life of the comic was clipped short and such an arc is all the remaining time will allow. It will be a 'what could have been' sort of disappointment.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Linnah wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:06 pm
Is it just me who doesn't really get why people are calling Dillon a douche here?
I’m not calling him a douche, I’m calling him a dickhead. Very important distinction.

We see Dillon sexting his boyfriend while the latter is at work, reflecting smugly on how well he’s done for himself, and the promptly getting distracted by a straight guy he can never have and who he supposedly got over months ago. None of that makes him an evil person, but it does all show him as self-centered and quite capable of generating problems for himself even when he should have nothing to worry about. Some people, including his creator, doubtless think he’s cute; I think he’s tiresome.

The comic has his name in the title, so I can’t really complain, but I find the strips where he’s front and centre the least appealing in this comic — and this strip illustrates why.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

lordoffiling wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:31 pm
It’s the Pixie Trix forums. People will find things to complain about. If it’s not there, they’ll make it there.
True enough, but Dillon has always been irritating for among other things how he'd push himself on Gary who isn't gay. While I wouldn't go as far as others on the Dangerously Chloe board and call him a sex offender it's definitely harassment. Then there's the hypocrisy of being angry with Matt for cheating while flirting with every man he sees.

If it wasn't for Ruby I don't know if I'd have followed this spin-off webcomic. I like Amber, but I don't know if she'd be interesting enough to carry the webcomic whenever Dillon was being insufferable.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Completely unrelated to what has been discussed so far, but how come in a comic set in Canada have we never (IIRC) seen anyone dressed for winter? (I mean a real winter, not the kind seen in Texas, Florida, or California.)