SDB 11-12-18 He is perfect

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: SDB 11-12-18 He is perfect

Post by Spidrift »

Who knows? I mean, I’d quite like to see DiDi in a well-fitted winter coat and fur pillbox hat...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

As to Giz not drawing winter attire or having the cast in a winter-themed scene, some possibilities:

1. Perhaps the characters are used to the cold?
2. Time, being wibbly-wobbly, is having this entire strip occur from spring to autumn in a single year?
3. Other than the ski bunny imagery, it is difficult to make a character both sexy and covered up from head-to-toe?
4. Disrobing from wearing a parka etc. takes too long in a 4-panel comic?
5. The vast majority of the comic occurs indoors. So like safe sex precautions, we are to assume that safe winter attire is assumed when characters are off-scene.
6. Maybe Giz doesn't like the snow? Drawing people in it reminds her of it? Yes, I know she resides in Canada. There are people who don't like the rain in Portland Oregon.

To echo @Spidrift, there are a few characters that would pull off winter attire well. Anyone who has seen Tess in her recent Kickstarter imagery would agree. Zii, I think, not so much; but, I don't put much past Giz when it comes to how she can amaze us with her depictions. I'd like to see Peggy & Gary have a snowball fight, rolicking in the snow. Exhausted from play, then Gary on top of Peggy (or her on top of him works too) and them rub noses and kiss in a snowbank confessing their love. But then I am sentimental that way.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

1. Canadian cold?
2. In an early strip, Zii said that Gary’s 29th birthday had just past. We’ve since had his 30th. Amber and Dillon have got a complete movie in the can since the start of the story. It looks very much like we’ve had at least a full year.
3. Leaving aside all the counterexamples from movies with arctic scenes and Hollywood stars... look, we just know that certain members of this cast are going to own coats that fit like gloves.
4. Like this comic couldn’t just jump over that time.
5. We can count up all the “meeting in the street” scenes some other time. There are plenty.
6. I’m not asking for a snowscape, I’m asking for DiDi in furs. Or for that matter Zii looking cute in a fur-trimmed hood. Or just Matt in a badass longcoat.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:19 pm
Linnah wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:06 pm
Is it just me who doesn't really get why people are calling Dillon a douche here?
I’m not calling him a douche, I’m calling him a dickhead. Very important distinction.

We see Dillon sexting his boyfriend while the latter is at work, reflecting smugly on how well he’s done for himself, and the promptly getting distracted by a straight guy he can never have and who he supposedly got over months ago. None of that makes him an evil person, but it does all show him as self-centered and quite capable of generating problems for himself even when he should have nothing to worry about. Some people, including his creator, doubtless think he’s cute; I think he’s tiresome.

The comic has his name in the title, so I can’t really complain, but I find the strips where he’s front and centre the least appealing in this comic — and this strip illustrates why.
Nothing to add, just want to say: agreed.

EmptyHat

Post by EmptyHat »

Of all of the sexy comedy of errors of all the pixie trix comics this might be the sweetest, and cutest payoff.

I really like how these two are, and have stayed friends.