Giz
Site Admin

SDB 20-11-18 Superbacker

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: SDB 20-11-18 Superbacker

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, the old gags are still dependable.

Well, at least the problem of initiating the conversation is solved. Now, hopefully, the important question will be if that table is robust enough to support two people in motion....

And, as ever, sex aside, we see Ruby in the process of getting stuff done.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

“And no worries, we’re not killing the ma3verse. - Giz”

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?!?!

WHAT DID SHE MEAN BY THAT?!?!?!
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm assuming that they honestly intend to run the occasional one-off strip or short series, as has been previously hinted. What will actually happen is of course anyone's guess.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:26 am
Ah, the old gags are still dependable.

Well, at least the problem of initiating the conversation is solved. Now, hopefully, the important question will be if that table is robust enough to support two people in motion....

And, as ever, sex aside, we see Ruby in the process of getting stuff done.
At the rate things are going they don’t have time to find a hotel.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Pretty sure Andy heard the last part of Ruby's sentence. Ruby's got some 'splainin' to do. It'll also be interesting to finally uncover Andy's hesitance/obtuseness to Ruby's advances. It would be not the greatest place for Ruby to lose her virginity, on the meeting table of a yaoi club. While sex certainly can be 'arranged', it is pretty much one of the most organic experiences. I would hope Ruby can keep it together long enough to demand they find some privacy. I expect their conversation to continue there, though. It would actually be pretty funny if amourous voices carry, advertising their lovemaking. Pixie Trix comic shop's back rooms might develop a reputation.

From Giz's statement changing to the current paragraph, one could also infer that this is the beginning of the last chapter for SDB. As in, the previous few strips were setting us up for this actual series ending chapter. Or maybe she just wanted us to reassure us. Or both. Or maybe if you play the message backwards you summon a demon. Ah, the good ol' days of vinyl.

I'd also assume there'd be some guest-drawn strips. Those can be hit-and-miss though. I'd also assume they'd still need advertising dollars to pay for the website, so we should expect the same amount of nudity (implied or otherwise).
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:47 pm
Pretty sure Andy heard the last part of Ruby's sentence. Ruby's got some 'splainin' to do.
Well, yes - but the explanation is simply the thing she was going to have to say anyway, to achieve her goal. And, while she's now a bit embarrassed, that's soon to be done and dealt with, and Andy doesn't seem the type to be angry about the situation; they can soon move on to the important bit of the conversation.
worldshaking00 wrote:
It'll also be interesting to finally uncover Andy's hesitance/obtuseness to Ruby's advances.
It's a bit weird, in that he was carefully defined on his first appearance to simply be painfully obtuse, but quite happy to get a date with a cute girl; then, when Ruby seemed to be looking for sex a few days ago, he was quite willing to give it a go -- just not pushy. And yet, now, the narrative is going out of its way to make this a big mystery; is he asexual, dumb as a rock, unwilling, or what?? Uh, surely we know that...
worldshaking00 wrote:
It would be not the greatest place for Ruby to lose her virginity, on the meeting table of a yaoi club. While sex certainly can be 'arranged', it is pretty much one of the most organic experiences. I would hope Ruby can keep it together long enough to demand they find some privacy. I expect their conversation to continue there, though.
The table wouldn't be the most comfortable place, but hey, it's indoors, warm, dry, and if the door locks or can be jammed, private enough, and would have the romance of spontaneity. People have survived much worse. One might think that the bigger issue was contraception, if the comic has one of its moments of realism -- but something tells me that Andy won't be carrying condoms (because he's clueless), but Ruby will be prepared (because she's organised enough for both of them). Or perhaps they'll head somewhere more comfortable, via a late-night store.
worldshaking00 wrote:
It would actually be pretty funny if amourous voices carry, advertising their lovemaking. Pixie Trix comic shop's back rooms might develop a reputation.
Assuming that's where they're using (which does seem likely). There was no indication that noise carried too badly when Zii and Amber used the place, far as I recall, but then again, rule of funny.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Or maybe if you play the message backwards you summon a demon. Ah, the good ol' days of vinyl.
I'd have thought that was easier to investigate these days than back in the days of vinyl, actually. I never owned a turntable that would spin backwards, whereas I'll bet one could find MP3 player software with a "play it backwards" option with a very little rummaging online.
---------
Spidrift

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

One thing I’ll say...

Andy looks like an android sent by CyberLife in the last panel.

It’s the eyes, they just... look wrong.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:48 pm
Well, yes - but the explanation is simply the thing she was going to have to say anyway, to achieve her goal. And, while she's now a bit embarrassed, that's soon to be done and dealt with, and Andy doesn't seem the type to be angry about the situation; they can soon move on to the important bit of the conversation.
This is Ruby we are talking about. She doesn't make things simple for herself and she doesn't 'do' spontaneous very well. Plus when she gets excited she tends to start speaking loudly, oftentimes while putting her foot into her mouth.
Spidrift wrote:It's a bit weird, in that he was carefully defined on his first appearance to simply be painfully obtuse, but quite happy to get a date with a cute girl; then, when Ruby seemed to be looking for sex a few days ago, he was quite willing to give it a go -- just not pushy. And yet, now, the narrative is going out of its way to make this a big mystery; is he asexual, dumb as a rock, unwilling, or what?? Uh, surely we know that...
Yeah, it has been a little weird. Since this story has unfolded through the lens of Ruby, combined with typical Ma3 non-communication between people, Andy might be a normal guy wanting to 'give it up' romantically... rather than on command. It would be very atypical for a male in the Ma3-verse to not drop trou at any sexual advent. But then, comedy requires exaggeration.
Spidrift wrote:The table wouldn't be the most comfortable place, but hey, it's indoors, warm, dry, and if the door locks or can be jammed, private enough, and would have the romance of spontaneity. People have survived much worse. One might think that the bigger issue was contraception, if the comic has one of its moments of realism -- but something tells me that Andy won't be carrying condoms (because he's clueless), but Ruby will be prepared (because she's organised enough for both of them). Or perhaps they'll head somewhere more comfortable, via a late-night store.
My mind wandered to them pilfering an officially licensed Mr. Fantastic prophylactic from Jung. Or not; they probably wouldn't be approved by the comics code. :p Perhaps Jung has some novelties from Japan in stock? The fact that it is also a meeting room for a club based around gay sexuality shouldn't be lost on the comedy of the situation.
Spidrift wrote:Assuming that's where they're using (which does seem likely). There was no indication that noise carried too badly when Zii and Amber used the place, far as I recall, but then again, rule of funny.
Which is all the reason why they are going to bone there. Zii knows that the backroom has some mojo to it; Ramona definitely does. Plus interested parties will all be vying for placing their ears against the closed door. It is too perfect of a set-up.
Spidrift wrote:I'd have thought that was easier to investigate these days than back in the days of vinyl, actually. I never owned a turntable that would spin backwards, whereas I'll bet one could find MP3 player software with a "play it backwards" option with a very little rummaging online.
Vinyl has the hands-on approach, like using a ouija board. \M/
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 pm
This is Ruby we are talking about. She doesn't make things simple for herself and she doesn't 'do' spontaneous very well.
Which comes back to the thought that panel 4 here may be a huge blessing in disguise for her. She’s now raised the subject very simply, and the ensuing conversation can be quite spontaneous.
Andy might be a normal guy wanting to 'give it up' romantically...
However, Ruby bust a gut to set up a passably romantic situation for him, dressing and acting sexy and flirtatious but not “slutty”. A merely romantic guy could have followed through on that without being pushy. Andy may be a bit idealistic, but he’s definitely also a bit dim.

So I still don’t really see what Ruby sees in him. Okay, she’s put some work in with him, but she of all the cast really ought not to fall for the sunk cost fallacy. But I guess that he’s hunky, available, and non-pushy.
My mind wandered to them pilfering an officially licensed Mr. Fantastic prophylactic from Jung.
There’s an image that seems deeply, horribly unkind to Reed Richards, somehow.
Perhaps Jung has some novelties from Japan in stock?
I imagine that Ruby has done too much careful reading to trust a novelty condom.
The fact that it is also a meeting room for a club based around gay sexuality shouldn't be lost on the comedy of the situation.
No sensible sexual partner who really knows Ruby will ever, ever want to ask her what she’s imagining during the act...
Which is all the reason why they are going to bone there. Zii knows that the backroom has some mojo to it; Ramona definitely does. Plus interested parties will all be vying for placing their ears against the closed door. It is too perfect of a set-up.
Yeah, you’re right; very good chance that all the people who’ve just left this room will be fighting each other for a chance to listen at the keyhole.
---------
Spidrift

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I'm predicting an awkward conversation between Ruby and Andy but then they ultimately decide not to have sex just yet.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Maybe Andy can explain to her how she was bad at the hinting and he was maybe bad at the hinting. :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I’d love to see how he’d explain that. “Wearing a sexy black dress and dropping double entendres about ‘dessert’? No, not clear enough...”

If the poor girl believed that, her next relationship could get... embarrassingly unsubtle. But fortunately, Amber has already helped her see that she might not be that bad at the hinting.

(Though I did once try to imagine a Ruby who’d got over being subtle.)
---------
Spidrift