Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

25-10-18 Hall meeting

Post by Giz »

TheEighth

Re: 25-10-18 Hall meeting

Post by TheEighth »

Matt and Yuki in japan.....wasn't...Senna in japan last we heard?
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Aaaand we segue toward the "band merger" that some of us have been expecting, whether it's made official or unofficial. Quite what form the touring band takes, with what lineup on which instruments, remains to be seen, but they have enough people still available to throw something together. And if Zii whinges about it, someone can remind her how Led Zeppelin came into existence.

The only real issue I have with this strip is that it dilutes the rather perfect closure that Erik got on his last appearance. But never mind.

We also get confirmation that Izzy is simply trying to be herself and - shock - pay attention to Zii's good advice, and not emulate anyone. "Herself" turns out to be less distinctive than Zii or Angel, but she's still a perfectly presentable teenage girl.

One other thing; if Zii ends up as part of that tour, it'll take her on the road and away from DiDi, which may precipitate a necessary crisis in that plot thread. Ker-chunk; another brick slots into the ending wall.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I guess the simplest explanations are often correct, though Zii telling Isabelle to "look past [her]" seemed like a passing remark that the formerly Izz one didn't take to heart, yet apparently take to heart she did. In spite of the somewhat underwhelming reasons, it is nice to see someone leave the Zii-sphere with their mind intact, as well as never falling prey to the rocker's proverbial rocks.

It's a little low to kick a man-she when they are down, but I can't begrudge Terry for enjoying the opportunity of the vastly turned tables.

Oh, right, I blocked out that Yuki and Matt are a *confirmed* pairing now; guess Kiley can fall off of the edge of the world as far as that egomaniacal bastard cares? I'm not a Gary/Yuki shipper, however, I would prefer Yuki remain single than end up with Matt, who is the worst kind of person (barring the incidental character of that Weinstein-like movie producer). Matt has repeated mistakes that Zii did, yet faced no repercussions, but rather essentially gained rewards for his contemptible selfishness, as well as never showing signs of empathy, thus a cruel fate for the still mentally fragile Yuki.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Is Isabelle wearing heels, because she looks significantly taller than Zii in this strip than in this one. Or maybe it is a trick of perspective or some slouching, because Izzy appears about as tall as Zii here?
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:10 am
but they have enough people still available to throw something together.
Do they? If Terry is a crummy drummer and Yuki is off to Japan (for an undisclosed amount of time) then neither band/combined band would have a drummer... six month tour schedule or not. And that is also assuming that Isabelle learned to play an instrument.

I feel sorry for Erik, as I am sure that he invested a lot of time trying to get these gigs booked plus doing the legwork for travel arrangements, etc. He did nothing wrong, although in this case technically Angel did nothing to precipitate Sonya flaking out nor Yuki reconciling with Zii. Still, I feel more pity for Erik than I do for Angel. Especially if Angel knew about Yuki's voyage abroad and neglected to inform Erik... or planned on springing the long tour on Yuki and forcing her to choose between the tour or her trip with Matt.

I am impressed with Erik's ability to actually manage such a tour though. Very ambitious of him. It also makes me wonder what types of tours Zii and Angel have been on before, considering they don't (appear to) have (many) albums of their own. I mean, I guess it is a question of what came first: the tour or the album before one lands a recording contract with a label. It also makes me wonder how they were going to survive monetarily on the road, as the stereotypical gig probably doesn't pay well and a six month tour would necessitate Angel & Zii quit their actual non-musical jobs. Maybe Erik is helping to float the costs as well?

As to Terry's commentary, I have mixed feelings about it. Does Angel deserve to eat some humble pie? Yes. They even look like they are tearing up and about to cry. But the punchline delivery makes him out to be douche-y... just like Angel. I was hoping that, near the end here with (most) everyone becoming better/more enlightened people than they have been in the past, that there might be less douche-baggery. Specifically Terry, who has been shown to be quite emotional, would know how much it hurt to have one's feelings dashed so hard. The easy "kicking the dog when it is down" reaction seemed cruel. He's not saying it with a look of glee, but rather somewhat apprehensively. So, my two cents.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Agreed. Neither band has a drummer if Yuki can’t go on tour so I don’t see how they could combine bands. Besides Angel still has other band members who haven’t left.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

1. Terry may not be the greatest drummer, but he was deemed good enough to play with Angel’s band in the past, and Zii has been working with him since.

2. I wondering about Izzy’s growth spurt myself. Kids — they grow up so fast...

3. Anyone who feels that Matt hasn’t suffered sufficiently can console themself with the thought that he’s about to be dragged off to stay with Yuki’s dad, who may be the creepiest character in the comic.

4. Simple answers are almost always the right ones when guessing about this comic — doubly so when it’s barrelling towards its end state.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Peaslepuff

Post by Peaslepuff »

How long has it been since Zii and Erik split? I still feel a pang whenever I see him. Is it wrong that I want him and Zii to end up happily ever after, despite how she took him for granted? That's the shipper in me coming out, I guess.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Now Erik appears with his reaction to the latest development. And can the creative team wrap up this plot and the many other hanging plot threads in only 12 updates?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I suspect that the last volume will be extended, as previously discussed. There’s just too much left to deal with, however briefly.
---------
Spidrift

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

My inner cynic tells me that the comic will still "end" at #1500 regardless with the remaining loose plot threads locked behind Kickstarter stretch goals or a Patreon.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Giz's latest video interview at NYCC 2018 said she was going to be wrapping up the comic in about two months. At nine full weeks left until the end of the year and at two to three updates per week, that would be 18 to 27 updates... less if there are reduced updates due to the holidays. Either way, that places the odds at going over the magic #1500 strip.

The video also just referenced Ma3, not SDB. So technically we could get more updates from Giz across both comics. Or, we get about the number of updates I said above split between both. :-s

Chin up. At least the comic family isn't going to end on a wtf! zombie apocalypse or a Sopranos black screen. She did state that the characters would be in their happy place, and that they'd go over #1500 as needed to make the comic ending be satisfactory. What that means, of course, is subject to scrutiny. After ten long years, it is reasonable for us to not want it to end.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:51 pm

3. Anyone who feels that Matt hasn’t suffered sufficiently can console themself with the thought that he’s about to be dragged off to stay with Yuki’s dad, who may be the creepiest character in the comic.

And I'd wager they'll get on like a house on fire.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Ok, if the band merges it could be:

Terry - Drums
Angel - Guitars/vocals
Zii - Guitars/vocals
Izzy - Bass

Or it could be:

Terry - Drums
Angel - Guitars/vocals
Zii - Bass/vocals
Izzy . Lead guitar (If she plays loose :D )
Last edited by rogermart on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

brasca

Post by brasca »

rogermart wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:16 am
Ok, if the band merges it could be:

Erik - Drums
Angel - Guitars/vocals
Zii - Guitars/vocals
Izzy - Bass

Or it could be:

Erik - Drums
Angel - Guitars/vocals
Zii - Bass/vocals
Izzy . Lead guitar (If she plays loose :D )
Can Erik play drums? And in either arrangement Terry is out as are the other members of Angel’s band.