Post by Giz »

Storm-forge mystique

Re: 20-10-18 A fuller sound

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

"Everybahdy betrays me! I am fed ahp with this world!"

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

So, I guess Terry was originally a guitarist, but made to do the drums by Angel because Angel does seem to have episodes of lacking logic, so they would force a band mate to play something they aren’t good at, then blame them for the failure.

While I don’t want everything to work out so easily for Zii when she hasn’t done anything close to deserving it, I appreciate that the Terry thing won’t be a cause of more tedious drama; though, he may suck at guitar, too, but I find that to be less likely as it would add conflict when one was just now avoided.
Despite my dissatisfaction with Zii seeming to be getting her way yet again, there is some relief in that Terry is sticking with her not out of loyalty, but rather simply finding the option of rejoining Angel abhorrent.

Angel’s face seems to indicate a breakdown, so I hope that “et tu, Brute,” is merely a delayed reaction to Yuki, because it wouldn’t be at all applicable to Terry, since Angel betrayed and cut ties with him, thereby making the comparison wrong; while I wouldn’t expect the hysterical “gender fluid Caesar” to make an entirely accurate allegory, it seemed like even with the shock, they knew the story enough to realise the facts that would be applicable to their situation.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:02 am
"Everybahdy betrays me! I am fed ahp with this world!"
“Yoor tearing me apar’, Brute!”

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

"Oh, hi Marcus."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Liberty! Freedom! Tyranny is dead! Run hence, proclaim, cry it about the streets...

Not sure how long the writers are going to stretch out the Caesar joke (especially as we've gone full Shakespeare now, and I seem to recall TCampbell saying that Giz's francophone upbringing means that she doesn't get those references as automatically as some of us). But anyway, the problem remaining is that neither band has a bass player. Zii has definitely mentioned that she's played bass herself, though, so I still think that's the most likely solution. And with Yuki apparently determined to remain with both bands, well, I still think that we're heading for a conclusion that involves Zii and Angel patching things up and forming an outsize band or a collective or something. It fits the way that the comic has been tying stuff up in neat bows.

(Which just leaves me wishing that they'd get on with it so we can cut back to Ruby's quest for a big enough clue stick.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Still waiting for Gary to turn out to be deity on the Hammond. Or maybe bass, he does have the bassist personality type.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 am
While I don’t want everything to work out so easily for Zii when she hasn’t done anything close to deserving it
I asked this question in the last thread: Like, what exactly does a character in these comics need to do in order to be afforded some clemency?

Like, what would “deserve it”?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

suranae

Post by suranae »

Consistent writing mostly. Not having a solution fall into their lap without looking for it.

Zii has done some fairly idiotic things that cause trouble for other characters, or leapt to weird conclusions that are never really explained out.

With her, & to a much lesser extent Gary, stuff gets hand waved in such a fashion that she doesn't get blowback.

The hand waving for Gary makes everything more awkward.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Yuki in both bands? Sure, why not. She's young enough and has the energy. Not sure if Angel will explode on her, saying it is their band or Zii's but not both. I could see them being petulant like that; however, I could also see them trying to grasp at anything in order to keep their band functional at this point.

What's left for our gender-fluid Caesar? State funeral? Appointing their nephew Consul?

Also glad to see that the Terry-thing is going to be a quick neat fix. It makes me happy to see that Zii was going to be a responsible bandleader and discuss with Terry Yuki's desire to rejoin the Troublemakers. For Zii, a gold star moment.

Still, I was hoping for a little more from Zii. Ah well... /waves hands magically/ all better now. Now are we going to see if Zii's libido has been able to stay topped with only non-reciprocating Didi in her bed?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

someone

Post by someone »

This made me wonder if there are any band with multiple drummers. And it turns out that yes, including big, famous, prestigious names like Gorillaz, Grateful Dead, Queen, Pink Floyd, and Radiohead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_drumming

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Huh. Terry actually got a fair deal out of this, and Suzi is acting somewhat responsibly.

I like it.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

EvilSnack wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:46 am
Still waiting for Gary to turn out to be deity on the Hammond. Or maybe bass, he does have the bassist personality type.
Paul McCartney? Lemmy? Sid Vicious? Sting? Paul Weller? Darryl Jones? Michael Steele?
lordoffiling wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:05 pm
I asked this question in the last thread: Like, what exactly does a character in these comics need to do in order to be afforded some clemency?

Personally, I don’t give a damn about any of these characters getting what they “deserve” (which would in most cases arguably be a spanking, except some of them would enjoy it too much). I would prefer that the story ends with some kind of coherent narrative, so that what happens arises logically out of character and action. Zii’s band fell apart as a plausible consequence of her actions, which were in character; having it suddenly fall back together just because of nothing in particular just wouldn’t seem like good storytelling — especially, as, up until now, Zii seemed to be learning lessons and working towards successes.

The fact that she’s trying to treat Terry decently in this strip does suggest that the writers are trying to get this right, though.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

lordoffiling wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:05 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 am
While I don’t want everything to work out so easily for Zii when she hasn’t done anything close to deserving it

I think Giselle Lagace chose wisely with that bonus strip during hiatus because it reveals exactly how much character growth Zii has experienced. Do you think the Zii who hired a drummer based on sexual performance would be so nice to Terry? And while people have argued that Zii is lucking into all this the same could be said of Angel. The only reason Sonya wanted to work with Angel was out of spite. Now she's quit to follow her girlfriend so it's not like either Angel or Zii can use her. As for Yuki she quit out of anger too and Angel capitalized on that. Since Zii is remorseful for past treatment Yuki is willing to reconcile. Angel couldn't build a lasting band based on mutual hatred of Zii.

Despite Angel's histrionics this doesn't really change things that much. Yuki is willing to work with both bands so no one lost a drummer and while Angel has to find a new bassist it's uncertain if Izzy has really improved since she replaced Sonya.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Possible upcoming plot twist: Terry is better at playing guitar than Zii.