20-10-18 A fuller sound

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

brasca

Re: 20-10-18 A fuller sound

Post by brasca »

Could be. And the only reason why he was the drummer is personal preference.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Or Angel needed a drummer, had two guitarists, and bullied him.

Though my own guess is that he’ll be average-adequate.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

someone wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm
This made me wonder if there are any band with multiple drummers. And it turns out that yes, including big, famous, prestigious names like Gorillaz, Grateful Dead, Queen, Pink Floyd, and Radiohead.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_drumming
At a guess, I’d assume that most of those were touring ensembles, aiming for a bit of a live wall of sound, rather than tight studio-oriented trios and quartets, as Zii seems to be used to.

But whatevs. Looks like Terry is switching to guitar.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

allen_the_doorman

Post by allen_the_doorman »

wow. angel managed an entire word balloon without the term "genderfluid"

that in itself must be a record of some sort.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:35 pm
EvilSnack wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:46 am
Still waiting for Gary to turn out to be deity on the Hammond. Or maybe bass, he does have the bassist personality type.
Paul McCartney? Lemmy? Sid Vicious? Sting? Paul Weller? Darryl Jones? Michael Steele?
No, the other kind of bassist, the non-egotistical kind.

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

Izz could turn out to be good if we take into account that one incident where she played great but couldn't repeat that. Maybe they simply need to give her focused training instead of general practice that they have done so far.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Many a guitarist have switched to bass with considerable success. And a tight rhythm section is very important, mind you. If Yuki and Zii train Izz and Terry to form a very tight, unstoppable rhythm trio to complement Yuki's drumming, they'll have something great to work with and build upon.
FIRRIB

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

lordoffiling wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:05 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:10 am
While I don’t want everything to work out so easily for Zii when she hasn’t done anything close to deserving it
I asked this question in the last thread: Like, what exactly does a character in these comics need to do in order to be afforded some clemency?

Like, what would “deserve it”?
Zii has developed quite significantly as she has grown a conscience, as well as genuine remorse for her mistakes, however, that's only partially on the way to becoming decent; the larger aspect would be with actions, such as offering a sincere apology and at least *try* to make an effort to redeem herself with those she wronged.

lokisdottir

Post by lokisdottir »

Logging in for the first time in ages to express my shock and delight at Zii being... well, the bare minimum of a decent human being really, but baby steps! The story over the break wigged me out tbh, it seemed borderline sexual harassment to be sleeping with artists who are looking for a gig when she was in the position (ahem) to choose who gets it. Also bitch can get bent for equating bisexuality with cheating. Like we don't get enough of that from gays and straights alike?

Also are we sure Angel isn't a secret drama enthusiast? (Well I guess there's nothing secret about their love of drama...) They seem to love their Shakespeare a little too much, and a genderfluid Caesar on the stage actually sounds awesome.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Julius Caesar has been played with an all-female cast. Actually, the last version I saw had some cross-gender casting among the conspirators, though Caesar himself was male (and went around in a red baseball cap with his political slogan on it). But anyway, Angel does seem to be a touch more literate than most of the cast; well, Zii said "obsessive pretentious snob", and Angel wanted the two of them to be the new Lennon and McCartney while Zii talked about Simmons and Stanley.

Which is why it makes sense for me for the ending of this plot to be a single band with Zii leading onstage, and Angel as the songwriter and occasional second voice (i.e. Zii as the cute one, Angel as the smart one). Angel has more of the thoughtfulness, passion, and literacy to be a decent songwriter, but is too much of a temperamental twit to actually lead a band without it exploding every month or two; Zii is more shallow but charismatic.

As to the strip that appeared in the break (which I'd long since seen in print) -- yeah, it doesn't show Zii at her most moral. Which is part of why I've never seen Nathan as the complete monster that some people like to call him; he's never done anything bad that someone else on the cast hasn't also done. He just does a little bit more of it
---------
Spidrift

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

Zii needs a bassist? I hear Geddy Lee's available. Might look a little odd in bunny ears, though... \M/

sparky

Post by sparky »

cheshire86 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:23 pm
Zii needs a bassist? I hear Geddy Lee's available. Might look a little odd in bunny ears, though... \M/
True. Maybe they should get Danny Partridge instead.

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

sparky wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 am
cheshire86 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:23 pm
True. Maybe they should get Danny Partridge instead.
He's at least as good as Reggie Mantle. ;) Not quite to Gene Simmons' level, though.