18-10-18 Surrounded by traitors

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 18-10-18 Surrounded by traitors

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:01 pm
I'd still like to see Zii have a heartfelt discussion with Yuki, apologizing for her actions.
*Snork.*

I won’t say that could never happen between any two characters in this setting, though it’s really not the comic’s style. It’d certainly be lovely to see a rational conversation about past grudges and mistakes between, say, Ruby and Amber. Zii might well even be capable of playing her part in that, especially since her recent moments of realisation. Actually, she tried such a thing way back when she came back to Sonya to apologise for causing trouble with Sonya’s boyfriend.

But the problem is Yuki. Who is still barking crazy, as this strip shows. Heartfelt discussions mean nothing when one participant is a loony.

Incidentally, Zii’s expression in the last panel suggests to me that she’s going to have trouble dealing with this turn of events.
As to Terry's fate, we'll have to see. It would be serendipitous that Terry could pick up either type of guitar and be great at it. If they could just write songs that 'worked' with Izzy's ability to jam out, that also might work.
Terry appears to me to be written as a bit of a sad loser. I can’t imagine him suddenly turning out to be some kind of savant. At best, I imagine him slowly getting his shit together thanks to, say, a balancing relationship with Izz, who has confidence enough for both of them.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

First Izz would need an interest in Terry... and remember she's nuts in her own way.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Zii turned her down flat, and she's been stuck side by side with Terry trying to make the band work. And working with someone under mild stress is notorious for leading to romantic/sexual interest. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if she rebounded off her failure with Zii onto a hook-up with Terry.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Well since Yuki went back to Zii's band maybe Angel will take Terry back. And is Erik still managing Angel's band? How would he react if the band he's managing lost their bass player and drummer?

brasca

Post by brasca »

samtheman wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm
Well since Yuki went back to Zii's band maybe Angel will take Terry back. And is Erik still managing Angel's band? How would he react if the band he's managing lost their bass player and drummer?
Probably shrug it off as life as usual in a rock band.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

samtheman wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm
Well since Yuki went back to Zii's band maybe Angel will take Terry back.
If Angel offers, I hope Terry responds by saying he's acquired enough training under Suzi that he's confident he can do better and walks away. Angel was a grade-A jerk about their previous parting of ways.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

... and in her moment of triumph, while parading to the stadium, a fangirl rode beside Angel, whispering "remember, thou art mortal."

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I'm hoping Zii invites Angel too.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm
I wanna know what people need from these characters. Seriously, how high are the standards of forgiveness around here? <snip> what more does she need to do in order to be out of the doghouse with you guys?
As I said in my post, a heartfelt apology. I agree with you that Zii realized she made mistakes. While she did try to speak to Yuki (and Sonya) she was rebuffed by Angel. They have phones one would assume. Leaving a voice message stating her apology would have been enough for me, considering Zii wasn't able to face-to-face either of them. Even if her messages were summarily deleted, at least Zii would have made more of an effort to explain/apologize for her poor judgement/actions.

As it stands now, all she said to Angel... with Yuki ninja-stealth active... was that losing Yuki as a drummer was one of her biggest regrets. It may be the truth that Yuki is a superb drummer. I don't doubt at all that Zii regrets her mistakes and mismanagement of the band/her friendships. But it is not an apology. Period.

Does Yuki need one from Zii? Apparently not. Sometimes good friends can live with eachothers' faults; sometimes any disputes just work themselves out. Sometimes we have coocoo-for-Cocoa Puffs as one of those friends. Would it do Zii a world of good to at least offer it to Yuki? I think so, because it will show some common courtesy to a dear friend and it will also demonstrate Zii being a little bit more humble. Demonstrating her desire to not treat her friends as garbage after the realization she has done just that would be a solid character growth moment for Zii. Also if Zii's spirit animal is feline, as she has been drawn as such from time-to-time, cats stereotypically don't take ownership for their mistakes. They run away and hide, or just stare a you like they did nothing wrong. A dose of humility would show that ZIi is indeed human.

As far as reconciling with Angel: I don't see Angel dropping their rivalry. I could see Zii offering Angel a spot... even trying to honestly mend fences between the two of them. But I would just expect Angel to take it as Zii 'rubbing it in' to Angel. Now, if Angel went to Zii looking for a band... that would be cool.

Side note: Yuki barged her way into the Troublemakers initially. She auditioned and earned her spot though. Zii would be crazy to not accept Yuki back into her band. But, Terry has that position. What is a bandleader to do? Will Matt & Yuki's future Tokyo plans interfere?
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Methinks Angel is a wee bit self-conscious about the gender fluidity. As if it were a pose.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Kinda random to bring that up.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Wow. There goes Angel, just assuming Julius Caesar wasn't gender fluid. Bad things must happen to Angel for assuming such things.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

EvilSnack wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:51 pm
Methinks Angel is a wee bit self-conscious about the gender fluidity. As if it were a pose.
Honestly, I suspect that the writers are a bit too conscious of having created a wildly unconventional gasp gender-fluid character, and so will have characters mention the fact a bit more often than might happen in real life. Plus, they needed to stick a modifier on the “Julius Caesar” line — just using the name bare would have looked a bit odd (or even odder than this) — so they tacked on the first adjective they thought of that applied to Angel.

And Angel is a bit of a self-aggrandising poseur, of course.
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 am
Wow. There goes Angel, just assuming Julius Caesar wasn't gender fluid. Bad things must happen to Angel for assuming such things.
Nah, though rumour did say bi. Allegedly. (But probably strictly a top. Roman prejudice.) He tended to pile on the macho.
---------
Spidrift

dmra

Post by dmra »

Suetonius is quite clear on the subject. Caesar was supposed to have had at least one major homosexual relationship - with a Greek king called Nicomedes of Bithynia.

Of course it does depend on how much faith you put in Suetonius. Good at gossip not always as good when it comes to dull historical fact. And also of course on the fact that being bisexual and being gender fluid aren't the same thing at all.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

No, not the same thing at all, but still, without proof either way, Angel is just assuming another person's gender and lack of fluidity. She should totally know better. :p