18-10-18 Surrounded by traitors

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 18-10-18 Surrounded by traitors

Post by Spidrift »

Umm, I assume that you’re joking, but... We have a reasonable amount of information about Caesar, considering his dates, and I’m damn sure that the Romans would have noticed and said something if he was gender fluid. (Relentlessly macho society if ever there was one.) Or are you implying that the sexuality of any historical figure is unknowable?

Sorry, TL:DR; Whadahellareyoozonabout?

This was the most unkindest cut of all,
For when the noble Angel saw her quit,
Ingratitude, more strong than traitors' arms,
Quite vanquished zie; then burst zie’s mighty heart,
And in zie’s blouson muffling up zie’s face,
Even at the base of Bowie's statue,
Which all the while ran blood, great Angel fell.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Caesar had to keep his epilepsy a secret so I seriously doubt he ever went around wearing women's tunics. However, most Romans were accepting of some bisexuality since it can get lonely campaigning. And Angel doesn't appear to be bisexual since both male and female personas prefer men.

Most conquerors even if they were bisexual were macho. The only gender fluid one I can think of is Frieza and he's notoriously difficult to work with.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Umm, I assume that you’re joking, but... We have a reasonable amount of information about Caesar, considering his dates, and I’m damn sure that the Romans would have noticed and said something if he was gender fluid. (Relentlessly macho society if ever there was one.) Or are you implying that the sexuality of any historical figure is unknowable?

Sorry, TL:DR; Whadahellareyoozonabout?

This was the most unkindest cut of all,
For when the noble Angel saw her quit,
Ingratitude, more strong than traitors' arms,
Quite vanquished zie; then burst zie’s mighty heart,
And in zie’s blouson muffling up zie’s face,
Even at the base of Bowie's statue,
Which all the while ran blood, great Angel fell.
It was obviously a joke on the fact that today one can not go around assuming anything of anyone. Even historical figures. :p

Though I recall reading there were those movies have made out to be bi/gay without any actual proof of it, the makers of the movies just wanted to do it for whatever reasons.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

People can make some kind of case for all sorts of historical figures being a bit bi, with varying plausibility. I mean, Shakespeare wrote love poems addressed to a guy — but he was Shakespeare, so do you want to say he was incapable of imaginative empathy? (Christopher Marlowe, on the other hand...) I’m sure that not everyone famous in history was Kinsey zero, but I’m also sure that some people managed to have passionate friendships with their own sex that sound intense by modern standards but didn’t involve squidgy bits.

And yes, modern film-makers do sometimes jump on these wild-ass guesses for the sake of a good story. Making a historical figure bi without any justifying evidence is usually considered a bit naff, though.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

SailorDh

Post by SailorDh »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm
I wanna know what people need from these characters. Seriously, how high are the standards of forgiveness around here?

We already had strips in which Zii realized she’d been shitty to her friends, and we just had her express those regrets in front of Yuki (admittedly not on purpose, although I’m sure she would have given the chance), what more does she need to do in order to be out of the doghouse with you guys?
She has been acting like a self obsessed piece of shit for nearly a decade.
The karma train barely left the station.

EvilSnack

Post by EvilSnack »

Which indicates that it's an act.

Shinjischneider

Post by Shinjischneider »

SailorDh wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:29 am
lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:04 pm
I wanna know what people need from these characters. Seriously, how high are the standards of forgiveness around here?

We already had strips in which Zii realized she’d been shitty to her friends, and we just had her express those regrets in front of Yuki (admittedly not on purpose, although I’m sure she would have given the chance), what more does she need to do in order to be out of the doghouse with you guys?
She has been acting like a self obsessed piece of shit for nearly a decade.
The karma train barely left the station.
And already Giz has pulled the emergency-stop.