25-09-18 You miss her

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Re: 25-09-18 You miss her

Post by BlairFan »

They have a complex relationship with Zii, a complex character. :-?
B.I.T.C.H. = Babes, I'm taking charge here. ;)

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

In a "Sandra" level of improvement, I was meaning comparing her from her introduction way-back-when to how she has made herself famous (?) in the current time-skipped SotR. I see your point, though.

My concern is that her 'step 2' is using drama to get what she wants. It is a natural potential for her to do so. I remember her boinking Gary to get Yuki angry and have a threesome/final hoorah with Yuki. Whether that is a technical 'step 1', I don't know. I try to avoid drama.
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Whereas Sonya loves it, of course.

She’s no saint, obviously. The comic would need another ten-year run for her to get anywhere near a halo. But she has become a more complex person, who even at her worst will make the world a much more interesting place. And she’s not mean or sadistic, though I wouldn’t want to cross her. If she chills out a little, I reckon that other people will come to see what Peggy sees in her. And she has enormous if vague potential; ten years down the line, she could be ... anywhere. Rock and roll. Hollywood. Politics. Webcomics.

Which makes her a good thing if not a good person, in my book. Though perhaps best appreciated from a safe distance.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

Rasslin', Sonya, Yuki, Angel, whatever... where is Best Girl?

Where is Lita?!? \M/

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

When first we met Yuki, she was obsessed with Zii and stalking her. Sonya is and has always been kind of clingy to anyone she gets attracted to, but especially to Zii. BOTH of them pretty much invited themselves into Zii's new band. I can't say there's much here to root for. I'm with Spidrift, I had thought that Sonya moving on to Angel's band, and Yuki hooking up with Matt, pretty much wrote coda to their storylines.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:27 am
Huh-hmm. I mean, I quite like all of these three as characters, but I thought that they'd already achieved some kind of closure, at least at the level for which the comic still has time. Plus, Sonya seemed to have achieved some kind of dubious but real inner strength -- and she's had some of the most significant character growth in the comic. I don't want to get the sense that any of them are even slightly crawling back to Zii. I'd rather see Zii putting the self-knowledge together to go to them.

(In fact, I could believe an end game in which Zii makes her peace with these three and joins Angel's band. The current incarnation of the Troublemakers don't give the impression of much real potential in the short or medium term.)

Now, if this sequence turns out to be Sonya saying "It's okay to miss someone like that, but sometimes you've go to rip the bandage off -- she's poison", I'll be impressed. But I don't think that Ma3 characters are supposed to be that robust.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 am
Angel seems... not unbothered but has an underplayed response, so I wonder if this hysterical outburst of both longing and hatred is simply an episode in an ongoing drama saga; wouldn't be surprising if that had been the case.
Angel acted in a remarkably mature and sensible way when last seen, even having an honest-but-kind word for Zii. Which was actually a bit odd, given that Angel's anger at Zii was originally less than rational and Angel has generally been depicted as a self-indulgent drama queen. But it might make sense if having a little bit more distance on the topic makes Angel slightly more rational than the other two.
I have to wonder how much of Angel's sudden maturity may tie in with Sticky Dilly Buns and if those events happened before these or later. I'm thinking the former because I imagine Angel would've been furious following the breakup with Jerzy until finding out that he actually cheated by having sex with Dillon while the worst Angel did was not being upfront about dinner with a coworker. Perhaps that finally made Angel realize Jerzy wasn't good for them and began to focus on the band which is when Sonya and Yuki waltz in. Maybe Angel's grudge is now based on legitimate grievances instead of quarreling over a man who'll sleep with just about anybody because Zii really does have some serious flaws that have sabotaged her music career.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Continuity wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:25 am
When first we met Yuki, she was obsessed with Zii and stalking her. Sonya is and has always been kind of clingy to anyone she gets attracted to, but especially to Zii. BOTH of them pretty much invited themselves into Zii's new band.
To be fair to Sonya, Erik actually invited her to audition for the band; she didn’t even know it existed before then. And she then convinced him at the audition. She jumped at the chance, obviously, but she got in fair and square, and mostly thanks to Erik. (That was perhaps the first big hint we had that Sonya was capable of quite a lot when she put her mind to it.)

And yes, Yuki was a little bit presumptuous about claiming a place in the band, but only after Zii invited her into the rehearsals, which better women than her could have treated as a possible membership offer. That was really Zii’s damn fault for short-term thinking, as usual — bringing one stalker in as protection against another was basically insane.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

That feels REALLY unnecessary. Not much else to say, it's just weird, feels like an unwanted filler. And the end of a comic isn't the time for that.
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I'm thinking this is going to lead to Sonya and Yuki going back to Zii's band or Zii joining Angel's band. Or maybe this development doesn't go anywhere at all and this is the creative team "Running out the clock" on the comic because they themselves don't how to wrap up the all the comic's subplots.