18-09-18 I can respect that

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Antinerd

Re: 18-09-18 I can respect that

Post by Antinerd »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:12 am
And of course, DiDi ends up *winning* no matter what.
Perhaps she has been consistently misunderestimated?

Pier777

Post by Pier777 »

Fereshte wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:03 pm
I thought they don’t tip in Canada?
Apparently they do tip on top of the >= minimum wage. Another reason why Canada is the superior North American country... something to be proud of if it wasn't compared to such a crappy food service industry. All relative.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

A friend of mine was the kitchen manager at a popular bar and grill chain. His best servers always made more than him per hour and often came close to his salary in weekly pay. 125k is an exaggeration but it's not that far off.

Chaotik74

Post by Chaotik74 »

bleah. yet another oblivious bimbo joke reinforcing the stereotype.

Zorlond

Post by Zorlond »

Mythbusters actually checked the adage of "Bigger ***s means Bigger Tips". Had Kari (who was already a generous C) work the counter at a coffee shop doing orders and collecting tips, one day as normal, one with her chest tied down to a smaller size, and then with a very convincing padded bra (up to about an E). The first two were identical in tips. But when she went larger, things got very lucrative.

The kicker was that yes, men tipped her more, but so did the women. In fact, the increase was about 10-20% greater than the men's increase.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Yep. It’s because large breasts are a universal draw. Male or female, gay or straight, people are programmed to notice and respond positively to large breasts.

It’s not a sexual thing in most cases, believe it or not. It’s a maternal thing. Human beings are born with an innate understanding that breasts are a source of sustenance and comfort. Newborns knows what to do with them long before they’ve experienced their first conscious thought.

In that context, it makes one wonder whether the huge boob lovers of the world actually have an Oedipal thing going on.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Zing.

Still, I gotta applaud Didi for sticking to her principles in the 11th hour. It was a minor morale victory to be sure, salary notwithstanding apparently. It just reinforces that she cares for her friends more, not wanting them to be hurt. There were no orgasms involved to tip the scale into Gigi's favor (thanks to Maura winning Lynn's staged fight for her affection). Had Didi and Lynn slept together, I think this strip wouldn't have happened.

I wonder if there will be any blowback from Gigi onto Lynn for not acquiring Didi. If she was truly Vader-like, a Force choke would be in order... not to mean that Gigi would get to offing Lynn... just that she would 'react' poorly or via tantrum. Considering there is more training needed and the direct mention of "partenaire" with Roxie blushing at being referred to such fondly, I expect more wrestling arcs. Also, the Tempests and Maura and how Tess will take to Maura sleeping with Lynn. I'd like to know what sauciness exists there, but I can understand if the creative team leaves that alone to focus on other 'more mainstream' characters and their finales/denouements.

If she makes so much money, I am curious as to why she is in the apartment. Perhaps she is happier to be with more people? Perhaps she is used to paying X amount for her living expenses. We have never seen Didi want for anything and she dresses fabulously. I guess her money goes to her wardrobe and accessories and naughty underthings? Charity to help balance her otherwise selfish on-panel antics?
Last edited by worldshaking00 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

meps98

Post by meps98 »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:57 pm

I wonder if there will be any blowback from Gigi onto Lynn for not acquiring Didi. If she was truly Vader-like, a Force choke would be in order... not to mean that Gigi would get to offing Lynn... just that she would 'react' poorly of via tantrum.
Lynn did her job. She found Didi, got her interested, played her nearly perfectly and brought her to GiGi. That Gigi was unable to seal the deal isn't Lynn's fault. Of course, that doesn't mean GiGi won't blame her for it. Sometimes, life ain't fair.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fereshte wrote:
Not what I heard. It was a Canadian told me how they don’t tip in Australia (which also turned out to be perhaps-outdated information).
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:57 pm
I wonder if there will be any blowback from Gigi onto Lynn for not acquiring Didi. If she was truly Vader-like, a Force choke would be in order... not to mean that Gigi would get to offing Lynn... just that she would 'react' poorly of via tantrum.
Who knows? But GiGi comes across to me as quite professional. There was probably a very loud “Damnit!” after DiDi left, but I don’t imagine a serious tantrum.
Considering there is more training needed and the direct mention of "partenaire" with Roxie blushing at being referred to such fondly, I expect more wrestling arcs.
I doubt that there’s time now.
If she makes so much money, I am curious as to why she is in the apartment. Perhaps she is happier to be with more people? Perhaps she is used to paying X amount for her living expenses. We have never seen Didi want for anything and she dresses fabulously. I guess her money goes to her wardrobe and accessories and naughty underthings?
DiDi seems to think in clichés. Waitresses live in shared apartments. End of.

Also, taking this far too seriously, I seem to recall that she hasn’t been in the city for very long, so she may not have been making that sort of money for very long — so she may not have very much saved. She may be better placed to put down the deposit and initial expenses for a bigger place in a couple of years time. So this could be pitched as a smart strategy.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:20 pm
Fereshte wrote:
Not what I heard. It was a Canadian told me how they don’t tip in Australia (which also turned out to be perhaps-outdated information).
It's not that Australians don't tip, they just don't feel forced to. One of my best friends lives in Australia and he tells me that the tipping rule is this: You don't have to tip, ever; but you can if you want to. No one is gonna look you down or shame you for not tipping.
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm
Considering there is more training needed and the direct mention of "partenaire" with Roxie blushing at being referred to such fondly, I expect more wrestling arcs.
I doubt that there’s time now.
Unless the wrestling stuff develops in a spin-off. But for this comic, I'm with you, there's no time.
Last edited by rogermart on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Imagine what FiFi could be making if she were a waitress.

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

If the restaurant Didi works at wasn't busy all the time before she started working there, it sure as heck is now that she is working there. She ought to be making more than the base salary because Didi effect most certainly brings them in a lot of business.

I find women more physically attractive than men, but I just can't get into the monster boobs myself. B or C is fine by me... Though I tend to be into cute girls more than sexy ones, so I'd probably choose Roxie over Didi any day of the week.

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

Didi has got to learn to read the room. Whilst it's good at giving us punchlines to laugh at, she is going to find it terribly difficult to make and maintain any meaningful friendships if she keeps depth charging them with her casual anecdotes and ill-timed expressions of her principles

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

BlairFan wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:05 pm
Imagine what FiFi could be making if she were a waitress.
My impression is that FiFi just has the big boobs. I mean, she's a perfectly pleasant-looking woman, sure, but she doesn't have the DiDi Effect. Which is a largely inexplicable hypnotic phenomenon granted by the power of comedy. The boobs focus or amplify it, but they aren't all of it.
---------
Spidrift