Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

15-09-18 Coast on your looks

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 15-09-18 Coast on your looks

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Seems in that situation, DiDi was damned if she did and damned if she didn't.

Roxie is being a bit too caustic and harsh, even if her anger is understandable - can't quite believe I'm stating this yet - it isn't DiDi's fault; the WW3 is the *villain* that Roxie should be angry at, which I suppose she is, but being angry at DiDi for being scouted is a tad misdirected. DiDi was clueless about the reason of her scouting, despite it being obvious to everyone else, can't get mad at the far slower when they don't understand; now is a repeat of the shower outburst, in which Roxie was angry at DiDi without properly explaining the reason for her rage, as well as the source of her anger not actually being DiDi herself.
Since DiDi *proved loyalty* perhaps Roxie will cool her jets?

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Well since Didi turned down the contract I'm hoping that means Didi and Zii will stay together leaving Gary and Peggy to develop their relationship further. And when are we going to get more updates for Dillon's comic?

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Fall.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Bit of a problem with the writing on Roxie... She's obviously meant to be "angry" and "short-tempered", which doesn't have to make her a completely unsympathetic character; lots of people, in fiction and reality, have a visible amount of anger, perhaps justified, but still also have their hearts in the right place. But Roxie is written as such a cartoon that she just looks like a maniac - and this is a clear example; she could have been depicted as cold and hostile to DiDi without opening the conversation with "traitor". Meanwhile, we don't see enough of her more positive traits that we can automatically balance them against her negative behaviour, though I think that they're supposed to be there.

Incidentally, am I imagining it, or was DiDi supposed to be travelling to another city and staying with Lynn while discussing this offer? If so, that seems to have been forgotten.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Interesting development, but not unreasonable. Didi has been able to turn herself away from persuasive misdirection before (remember Sonya trying to seduce Didi?). I suspect she did not like how hard Gigi was trying to acquire her signature, that she was still a little sore/confused at the kerfuffle with Lynn & Maura at the hotel and how that might influence working at the WW3, and of course... her admiration for Roxie & Brandy's sacrifices for their sport. Whether she could get orgasms on the road is also a potential reason too.

Hopefully Didi will say something nice, since Roxie needs to be diffused. I realize she had some decent reasons for being anger and caustic, and that it is in her character to just 'be' angry and sour; but, she needs to calm the F down and realize that Didi was being played and taken advantage of for her innocence/naivety. Whether this revelation helps to strengthen their relationship, nay even have Roxie think higher of Didi for her morals, remains to be seen.

Other than mended fences and some exposition between Didi & Roxie and maybe seeing what transpires for the Tempests and Lynn & Maura, the wrestling arc seems almost over now. Come out, come out wherever you are Zii. Although I would like to know what is going on between Gary & Peggy.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

...Or, hell, whether Ruby has acquired a large enough clue stick yet. (September is autumn, isn't it?)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Chastel actually made the right choice for once.
Remarkable!

I'm sure Roxie will calm down soon enough; they just need to... communicate. Oh. Oh, dear. Well, fingers crossed.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 am
...Or, hell, whether Ruby has acquired a large enough clue stick yet. (September is autumn, isn't it?)

The Autumnal Equinox is the 23rd so, yes technically.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:55 am
Bit of a problem with the writing on Roxie... She's obviously meant to be "angry" and "short-tempered", which doesn't have to make her a completely unsympathetic character; lots of people, in fiction and reality, have a visible amount of anger, perhaps justified, but still also have their hearts in the right place. But Roxie is written as such a cartoon that she just looks like a maniac - and this is a clear example; she could have been depicted as cold and hostile to DiDi without opening the conversation with "traitor". Meanwhile, we don't see enough of her more positive traits that we can automatically balance them against her negative behaviour, though I think that they're supposed to be there.

Incidentally, am I imagining it, or was DiDi supposed to be travelling to another city and staying with Lynn while discussing this offer? If so, that seems to have been forgotten.
Well let's not forget that kayfabe is so much a part of being a professional wrestler Roxie may have problems toning it down for real life situations that upset her. DiDi just walked away from a contract that Roxie would've signed for a fraction of the cost because of principles. This definitely has shaken her expectation of DiDi as a voluptuous selfish airhead.

I must wonder how concurrent Sandra and the Rocks's storyline is with what's happening in Menage a 3. Maybe DiDi was inspired to work hard at her craft and get their because she earned it after seeing Sandra climb back up the the ladder.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I am hoping there is a tie-in between SotR and Ma3 with Didi & Sandra, chronologically. I was impressed with Sandra's results from the last few strips posted, although depending on how much a B!tch she turns into might sour that to me.

As far as Roxie and difficulty toning down the kayfabe, I don't think so. She is guarded and a little insecure, and she cloaks herself by being the biggest badass in the room. She doesn't like to look a fool, nor does she suffer those who take advantage of her or who have privilege. "Angry" is her normal, with neutrality probably being a close second... unless she is being forced to put on a smile for a client (at the gym). Understandably she is upset with so many people rocketing past her career-wise, due to their image instead of their talent. I would really like to see Didi explain herself to Roxie (and us) as to why she turned the contract down. Walking away from a guaranteed 125K CAD might be incredulous; but if the right reasons are given, I think Roxie will see Didi in a whole new light.

Part of me also thinks that Didi turned down the contract because of how she remembered Brandy & Roxie's love affair was torn asunder because of kayfabe and Brandy moving up. Wrestling was also a part of her & Kiley's break up, although we all know that Kiley was being held captive by Didi. Maybe Zii's goings-on will shed some light. Or not. See Sandra above.
Spidrift wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 am
Heh. I forgot about SDB there for a quick minute. Ruby would also be a welcome diversion until we get Sherlock Holmes or Poirot or Columbo or even Matlock to uncover wherever Zii disappeared. Although on first read I thought your comment was "glue stick" instead of "clue stick" which had me puzzled. 8-}
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The SotR storyline can’t really be “concurrent” with this one, given that it’s just jumped a year.
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Yeah, seems that way. Just wondering if there's going to be a time-y wime-y wibbly-wobbly thing going to be attempted. Like, a year later maybe, and Sandra just got there first? A stretch, admittedly. But as you've pointed out before, time has not consistent... or even a factor for the majority of the comic(s) runs. It just might help to tie everything up with a nice bow if it is ended in roughly the same space-time.

Khazuki

Post by Khazuki »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:55 am
EVERYONE in this comic is written like a hyperbolic cartoon stereotype, at least most of the time.

Mordhaus

Post by Mordhaus »

Shocking, DiDi actually shows she has principles for once. Hope she sticks to them.
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite comic on the Internet.