Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

11-09-18 Je ne sais quoi

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 11-09-18 Je ne sais quoi

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I suppose it doesn't take a Machiavellian genius to manipulate DiDi. Aha.
DiDi's expression seems to indicate uncertainty, therefore pliability for GiGi to control; for all of DiDi's supposed *conscience*, she doesn't seem to realise that GiGi is deflecting from the topic of wrestling talent by still focusing on appearance, except change from bust to how statuesque the empty-headed blonde is. GiGi does note "strength" at the end, however, that appears to be just a way for her to flow into talking about a contract - as if DiDi signing it would equate to a *noble* act.

Since FiFi left the contract in another room, I wonder if she is another dunce hired for looks like DiDi is close to being? Though, her forgetfulness here could simply serve to provide additional time for DiDi to realise that it is mainly her beauty the WW3 are after, thus she could actually think about a decision for once.

[EDIT] It is rather impressive that "Je ne sais quoi" hasn't been used a strip name until now. Haha!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I don't think that FiFi rates as stupid just because she left a contract a few feet away. She wasn't to know that GiGi was going to have to go into blather mode. I doubt it'll make any difference, anyway; it just means that GiGi has to keep DiDi off-balance for ten more seconds, which is hardly rocket science.

And this is definitely GiGi's day. She doubtless knows that there's one born every minute, but it must be really nice to meet one of the ones at just the right time. And it's nice that she's in the entertainment business, rather than selling life insurance or bridges or something.

Nice us of a double panel with heavy perspective to make room for the speech bubbles, by the way.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Jackass Mask

Post by Jackass Mask »

Oh yes. I'm sure your audience is quite "thirsty" for someone like DiDi.

Definitely getting McMahon vibes off GiGi here. Waiting for the other shoe to drop on this one.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

and now our new feature of women wrestlers, how the clean up in the shower before and after a fight, hard hitting drama folks :D

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I am reminded of Star Wars, when Obi-Wan explained to Luke how "the Force can have a strong effect on the weak minded." While it doesn't take Jedi mind tricks to influence Didi... she's more of the 'pretend to throw a dog their ball and watch the dog scamper to find it'-sort... Gigi's hand-waving gesture conjured Obi-Wan's Jedi hand-waving, for me. I know she is gesturing to be grand and sweeping with her presentation for sake of Didi's imagination. But still, that's where my mind went.

It is in important times like these that Didi really should have a handler, or a chaperone... someone who has Didi's interests in mind and underatands some of the legal minutiae of a contract. Apologies for sounding like a broken record, but where is Zii? Zii should have an inkling of how a contract works, having been in the music business and working gigs, etc. Will Didi be saved by an interruption? A phone call? Maura bursting into the office? Zombies?

I also appreciate Gigi for her business acumen, even if it is a tad smarmy. Seal the deal. Sucker born every minute. Etc. One can only hope she rewards loyalty and service well.

Lastly, I find the French parlance "Je ne sais quoi" extremely funny as used here. Didi's broken franglish can be troublesome for others to comprehend. Here, it is being used to bungle her up... or at the very least, misdirect her. "I don't know what" is so vague & nebulous, literally, that saying she has 'it' "in spades" is just complete malarkey. But it appears that Didi is falling for it hook, line, and sinker.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

brasca

Post by brasca »

GiGi is right about DiDi having the body for wrestling. I don’t think she or FiFi could even if they wanted without suffering chronic back pain.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:29 pm
It is in important times like these that Didi really should have a handler, or a chaperone... someone who has Didi's interests in mind and underatands some of the legal minutiae of a contract.
While I tend to agree that DiDi shouldn’t be allowed out without a minder, she’s supposed to be an adult. Which means that, absent actual certified mental incapacity, she’s responsible for her own decisions.

That’s separate from the specific principle that one shouldn’t sign contracts without a lawyer, of course. Okay, I’ve broken that myself, but not for a big long-term entertainment biz contract. But probably no one has ever told DiDi.
Apologies for sounding like a broken record, but where is Zii? Zii should have an inkling of how a contract works, having been in the music business and working gigs, etc.
Is Zii her lover’s keeper? She isn’t a lawyer...

Lastly, I find the French parlance "Je ne sais quoi" extremely funny as used here. Didi's broken franglish can be troublesome for others to comprehend. Here, it is being used to bungle her up... or at the very least, misdirect her. "I don't know what" is so vague & nebulous, literally, that saying she has 'it' "in spades" is just complete malarkey. But it appears that Didi is falling for it hook, line, and sinker.
“Je ne sais quoi” has overtones in English way beyond its literal meaning; not just unknown but unknowable. A matter of mystique. Whether that quite carries for a native Francophone, I don’t know.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:13 pm
worldshaking00 wrote:
“Je ne sais quoi” has overtones in English way beyond its literal meaning; not just unknown but unknowable. A matter of mystique. Whether that quite carries for a native Francophone, I don’t know.
In Spanish we have "tú tienes un 'no sé qué'" which means exactly the same thing, but I've heard a lot of people use "tú tienes un 'je ne sais quoi'" also. And I remember Brazilian friends using 'Je ne sais quoi' in Portuguese. So at least in the Americas the term is really famous.

I guess it's the equivalent of saying " you have the X-Factor"
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

That's perhaps the modern equivalent, though it doesn't sound as cool. (Because everything sounds cooler in French.) In the 1920s, they talked about "It", as seen with the It Girl.

(Though “je ne sais quoi” can mean something other than sex appeal. You could say that a song, or a painting, or a perfume had a certain je ne sais quoi. “Good in a way that’s hard to put into words.”)
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift

mulrich88

Post by mulrich88 »

What a cunt.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I hope DiDi reads the fine print before she signs anything. "Trust but verify." :-?

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Apologies for sounding like a broken record, but where is Zii?
I'm thinking Didi is going to sign the contract and then spring the "good news" on Zii without warning which might lead to Didi and Zii breaking up. Specifically Didi would break up with Zii because Zii would never let Didi go. I'm still hoping that Zii simply joins Didi on the road for the wrestling and since Peggy is already living at Gary's apartment he would only need to find one replacement roommate.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Makes sense to me. Sure, Gigi may have other reasons, but there's likely truth to it. Roxie lacks the presence.

JayBlaze11

Post by JayBlaze11 »

I'm kinda hoping some crops Panel 4 to look like the Toy Story meme.