16-08-18 Mon accent

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12631
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Spidrift » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Antinerd wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Three whole strips of shower conversation with three "sexy" characters and not one naughty bit shown. Edge. How does it work again?
It works, I suspect by Giz having a Photoshop layer of opaque white steam that prevents trouble with the advertisers, and which can be turned transparent for the print volume.

See also the FAQ.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Zellgato
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Zellgato » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 pm

I dunno about Canadian wrestling, or much of the current wrestling..
but the WWF when I was akid would totally snag her. Roxie I mean. She actually reminds me a ton of Lita's original character before they relagated her to sex appeal.

Roxie is very much the kind of wrestler I would follow as a kid. She's very much the "cool" type. Granted.. I'm the type who has absoluetly has no taste for didi's kind of looks/body type.
Though i'm weird. I like quite tall or quite short, without much bits and bobs. So i always default at thinking that type as "looks cool"

I went off on a tangent...

but its really very odd if it comes down to Roxie not having the "assets" and makes me wonder if someone in that organiation has a hatred for her for some reason. or if she got blacklisted for not playing their games. or if she was outspoken at some point against some event. Seems utterly crazy they wouldn't snag someone who had talent, could work a crowd, and apparently, was actually very good at rearing up more talent... since apparently they've been keeping tabs on who she trains..

there is some sort of backstory here.

dmra
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by dmra » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm

KashTheKwik wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:30 pm
Roxie is very much the ma3 universe’s Sara Del Ray which is a little disheartening. For some context, Sara Del Ray was one of the best female Indy wrestlers, and to a better point, one of the best Indy wrestlers period, in the same era where WWE’s obvious mandate was looks over talent. From the time Del Ray was in her prime wrestling for companies such as Shimmer or Chikara she never got the call because likely the WWE didn’t see her as marketable in comparison to some they rolled as models turned wrestlers (a whole other can of worms for those women and their treatment now that the Divas era is over.) Del Ray did eventually make it... But as a trainer to pass on her skills.

It makes me think that Roxie may eventually get signed by WW3 but in a sort of bleak fashion, to train future stars like Didi. On the other hand I suppose, having a hand on a new generation of stars who will be very talented with work or love the business (also Didi, even if how she got there is...Disheartening) ...well, there are worse things in life.
Let's not forget that from day 1 Roxie has been shown to have a dreadful temper and to be lacking in self control. http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Brea ... art_book_8 http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Yes_ ... _I_thought

Those aren't exactly assets when you're working in an environment when clear heads mean fewer injuries - and wrestling injuries can kill or cripple people. I'm not saying that is why she's not been chosen for the big leagues but if it is it would be entirely understandable.

User avatar
rogermart
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by rogermart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 pm

There could be a backstory, but when Lynn was talking to her boss about Roxie, he/she/it mentioned she doesn't have the "right look".

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/The_right_look
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

samtheman
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by samtheman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm

And Didi continues to be Didi. I'm hoping this current arc is going to wrap up Didi's side of the story including the wrestling plot. We only have 33 more strips unless the creative team is indeed going to push past #1500 in order to wrap things up nice and neat.

User avatar
rogermart
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by rogermart » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 pm

I don't find hard to believe that Didi doesn't have a clue how much of an effect she has on people that are attracted to women. It's true that she has some tricks in the art of seduction, but she only views them as something all women do and get similar results, which we know it's completely wrong.

Like Brandy says, she could speak Mongolian and get in, on the same note, she doesn't need the tricks, hell, she only runs and people suffer accidents in the street... Maura, Tess and Didi greet Lynn and what does she do? she autographs Maura and Tess, and she puts her phone number on Didi. That's why we call it the Didi Effect...

Let's also remember that she was clueless to why Sandra got less tips than her, this is in the same area.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

User avatar
Cortez
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Cortez » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 pm

dmra wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Let's not forget that from day 1 Roxie has been shown to have a dreadful temper and to be lacking in self control.
But you're forgetting that when it comes to wrestling, she's always professional. So this is obviously not why she hasn't been picked up.

Especially since by real life wrestling standards, her temper is tame. She's certainly not as bad as Shawn Michaels at his worst or as immature as Randy Orton.

Also, compared to a lot of characters in MA3, she has the self control of a monk. Honestly, i think you are exaggerating her temper.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12631
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Spidrift » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 pm

rogermart wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 pm
I don't find hard to believe that Didi doesn't have a clue how much of an effect she has on people that are attracted to women. It's true that she has some tricks in the art of seduction, but she only views them as something all women do and get similar results, which we know it's completely wrong.
Well, to be fair to her -- it's not completely wrong. DiDi may have heard, vaguely, that a lot of women can get results by flashing a bit of cleavage, pouting, and wearing sexy dresses, all of which is completely true even in the real world. But she might not appreciate that, for most women, all those tricks only achieve patchy results, some of the time, whereas for her they function as full-strength mind control almost all the time.
Cortez wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 pm
But you're forgetting that when it comes to wrestling, she's always professional. So this is obviously not why she hasn't been picked up.
I suspect that we just have to assume that, in the Ma3 universe, female wrestling operates at cartoon-parody levels of sexism and objectification. DiDi can walk into a pro job without trying because boobiezz, Brandy can land a place with a little effort because she's a conventionally attractive woman, and Roxie is screwed because she's a short, muscular tomboy type, regardless of her skills.

If the wrestling fans here tell me that's an unrealistic picture of the current state of wrestling, then fine, I'll believe it. But Ma3 is often unrealistic, so why should it be better in this regard?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
worldshaking00
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: My little slice of Hell in Arizona

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by worldshaking00 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:31 am

The image choice this particular cadre of the WW3 might be looking for is the beautiful people, or those who are able to sell being physically extraordinary in one way or another. Lynn looks good with a snake. The two witch-like wrestlers with the blood cauldron spell-binding that one male wrestler. Let's face it - Didi is statuesque let alone built like a sex goddess. Maybe the evil boss is just a creep, too.

Although I do expect Roxie getting continually passed up by the pro-circuit has to do with her not playing the game, as it were. That and her flying off angrily might sour some talent scouts.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

User avatar
Cortez
Posts: 2210
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Cortez » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:13 am

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 pm
Brandy can land a place with a little effort because she's a conventionally attractive woman,
That's not true, we were shown that Brandy put in great effort into getting picked up by the WW3 and she was in the indies for some time.

Little effort would be DiDi, she hasn't had her debut match yet.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:31 am
That and her flying off angrily might sour some talent scouts.
Once again, you're exaggerating her temper. We've seen that she's completely professional when it comes to wrestling.

And i guess i need to repeat this, but her temper is tame compared to various successful real life wrestlers.

He'll, she also doesn't party, drink or do drugs. Moat really life promotions would live her.

User avatar
worldshaking00
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:32 pm
Location: My little slice of Hell in Arizona

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by worldshaking00 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:41 am

Perhaps they are focusing on her professional seriousness, as opposed to her ability to entertain while not carrying off a serious demeanor. She knows what needs to be done technically, understands how to read a crowd, and how to script a show/match. But there's obviously something making others a more attractive prospect than her. She is talented, but she just doesn't sell it well.

As to her humdrum vanilla life outside of wrestling, I agree she would make a good candidate legally on paper. Little risk. But this cadre seems to be looking for bad girls, vamps, and bodacious bodies. I also assume that applies to the rest of the agencies, currently at this rate. That places Roxie at a disadvantage. She might be able to kayfabe being a mean woman, but she is seems too awkward to be a bad girl. She also lacks raw charisma and/or insane beauty to compensate. The fanbase they've datamined doesn't want a tomboy; they want curves & skin.

Talent might attract some fans. Spectacle fills seats & gets consumers to buy the PPV more frequently.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

JoybuzzerX
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 am

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by JoybuzzerX » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 am

rogermart wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:01 pm
There could be a backstory, but when Lynn was talking to her boss about Roxie, he/she/it mentioned she doesn't have the "right look".

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/The_right_look
While I'm sure many of the readers of the comic would disagree, I took that to mean, Roxie just isn't that pretty.

Not that readers can't disagree, but it's not like the comic shows Roxie to be lacking in the breast department herself. Just look at two strips ago. Not Didi level, but she's plenty ample in that shower.

I'd say it's her actual look. Maybe to butch?

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12631
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Spidrift » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:03 am

Cortez wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:13 am
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:38 pm
Brandy can land a place with a little effort because she's a conventionally attractive woman,
That's not true, we were shown that Brandy put in great effort into getting picked up by the WW3 and she was in the indies for some time.
That was “a little” in the common English sense of mild understatement. Yes, she absolutely put significant work in.
Little effort would be DiDi, she hasn't had her debut match yet.
What DiDi put in would be described as “very little effort”.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

User avatar
Error of Logic
Posts: 5678
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Error of Logic » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:35 am

This ... we know Chastel has the IQ of a dead herring, yes, but I thought she knew she outclasses other women appearance-wise. (Though in little else.)
Remember that ugly scene when she had first set her sights on Gary and Kiley came to the apartment, and she put her down by asking if she was there to sell girl scout cookies?
Not the words of a woman who doesn't know she can assert dominance by physical comparison. Normally.

dmra
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by dmra » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:54 am

Cortez wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 pm
dmra wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm

Let's not forget that from day 1 Roxie has been shown to have a dreadful temper and to be lacking in self control.
But you're forgetting that when it comes to wrestling, she's always professional. So this is obviously not why she hasn't been picked up.

Especially since by real life wrestling standards, her temper is tame. She's certainly not as bad as Shawn Michaels at his worst or as immature as Randy Orton.

Also, compared to a lot of characters in MA3, she has the self control of a monk. Honestly, i think you are exaggerating her temper.
Plenty of wrestlers have been sacked or had their careers cut short becuase they got a reputation for being careless in the ring. And as for exaggerating Rosxie's temper she put the head trainer in a submission move because he made a joke about Didi's looks and tried to do the same to Didi - a non trained person - after getting punched accidentally . Doesn't seem that professional to me and I can't remember any of the other MA3 characters -except Yuki- regularly doing that kind of physical violence to somebody else.

As rogermart posted linking to another strip Roxie's looks were the reason why she wasn't wanted when Didi was but it looks like they might have made the right choice for the wrong reasons.

Post Reply