Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by Giz »

KaedeKisaragi

Re: 16-08-18 Mon accent

Post by KaedeKisaragi »

*thwacks the strip* Bad comic. Bad. No cookie for you. You don't get to have Didi openly using her looks to manipulate people to get her orgasms and then not being aware that she has sex appeal from her looks.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Makes one wonder if DiDi is being deliberately obtuse - sure, we've seen her lacking even average intelligence and often common sense, however, there have been occasions in which she took full advantage of her assets, so her ignorance doesn't come across as *charmingly naive* but rather disingenuous or simply frustrating.

Seems like Roxie was mostly jealous of the jump ahead of the proverbial queue that DiDi took, and understandably so - it appears as though Roxie knows she is a superior wrestler, however, DiDi getting picked up when she is still so new reinforces Roxie's insecurities and possibly her annoyance at being overlooked by the "WW3" for superficial reasons yet again.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, it wasn't difficult, but I think that I can claim to have read this quite correctly...
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:57 pm
I can imagine that DiDi symbolises practically everything about the world that pisses Roxie the hell off. Roxie isn’t unattractive or especially unfeminine, but she wants to be taken seriously for her skills, not her looks, and to shake up the world of women’s wrestling on that basis. (Which, realistically, would probably have to rate as insane optimism, because wrestling is a tacky mass-market entertainment form, so of course it’ll focus on big boobies over skill.) Seeing Brandy get scouted by the big leagues ahead of herself will have been bad enough, but at least Brandy has skills of her own, and rates as a friend; DiDi can’t even pretend not to be complicit in her own objectification.
Except that DiDi maybe honestly doesn't understand how she's being objectified, because she's been flanderised into something that makes gravel look self-aware.

As to DiDi not realising that she has gross levels of sex appeal, despite using it with monotonous regularity -- well, yes, it's a stretch, but let's allow it because, y'know, incredible stupidity. She has a set of standard tricks that get her what she wants, like wearing skimpy little black dresses or flashing lots of cleavage, but to her, they're just tricks; she honestly doesn't understand that they all run off one thing -- that supernatural sex appeal.

She'd be a genuinely tragic character, a victim of her own looks who's incapable of normal human interactions, if she wasn't so bloody annoying.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

KaedeKisaragi wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 am
*thwacks the strip* Bad comic. Bad. No cookie for you. You don't get to have Didi openly using her looks to manipulate people to get her orgasms and then not being aware that she has sex appeal from her looks.
Even Brandy seems to be in disbelief that DiDi doesn't recognize her own sex appeal.

And yeah, we have seen her use her looks to her advantage.
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:59 am

As to DiDi not realising that she has gross levels of sex appeal, despite using it with monotonous regularity -- well, yes, it's a stretch, but let's allow it because, y'know, incredible stupidity. She has a set of standard tricks that get her what she wants, like wearing skimpy little black dresses or flashing lots of cleavage, but to her, they're just tricks; she honestly doesn't understand that they all run off one thing -- that supernatural sex appeal.

And like Brandy is implying, she doesn't really need those tricks.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, they save time and rendered Kiley incapable of arguing... But yeah, really, they're just short cuts.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rakedan

Post by rakedan »

One of these days Didi's obliviousness will be flanderized so much that she doesn't know what breathing is and that she has been doing that for as long as she lives.
An idiot on internet with memory problem.

VoxPopuli

Post by VoxPopuli »

Yeah, this isn't cute anymore. Didi's sheer ignorance has run it's course for me.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm beginning to suffer from an "I thought that DiDi was depicted as a jerk before it was cool" feeling...
---------
Spidrift

Alice Macher

Post by Alice Macher »

While exaggerated stupidity can be a gold mine for comedy, beyond a certain point it gets uncomfortably close to making fun of the disabled.

KashTheKwik

Post by KashTheKwik »

Roxie is very much the ma3 universe’s Sara Del Ray which is a little disheartening. For some context, Sara Del Ray was one of the best female Indy wrestlers, and to a better point, one of the best Indy wrestlers period, in the same era where WWE’s obvious mandate was looks over talent. From the time Del Ray was in her prime wrestling for companies such as Shimmer or Chikara she never got the call because likely the WWE didn’t see her as marketable in comparison to some they rolled as models turned wrestlers (a whole other can of worms for those women and their treatment now that the Divas era is over.) Del Ray did eventually make it... But as a trainer to pass on her skills.

It makes me think that Roxie may eventually get signed by WW3 but in a sort of bleak fashion, to train future stars like Didi. On the other hand I suppose, having a hand on a new generation of stars who will be very talented with work or love the business (also Didi, even if how she got there is...Disheartening) ...well, there are worse things in life.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Given all the other craziness I don’t see why DiDi’s obliviousness is that difficult to believe.

It’s just as unlikely that nobody ever told her, but everyone that objectified her wouldn’t want to ruin a good thing and everyone else was too envious or intimidated, but for the sake of comedy I’ll believe it.

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Three whole strips of shower conversation with three "sexy" characters and not one naughty bit shown. Edge. How does it work again?

I suspect that our dear artist/authors are getting a wee bit tired of this gig.

Also, who says Mongolian isn't sexy? Somebody needs to get out more.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:49 am
Makes one wonder if DiDi is being deliberately obtuse - sure, we've seen her lacking even average intelligence and often common sense, however, there have been occasions in which she took full advantage of her assets, so her ignorance doesn't come across as *charmingly naive* but rather disingenuous or simply frustrating.

Seems like Roxie was mostly jealous of the jump ahead of the proverbial queue that DiDi took, and understandably so - it appears as though Roxie knows she is a superior wrestler, however, DiDi getting picked up when she is still so new reinforces Roxie's insecurities and possibly her annoyance at being overlooked by the "WW3" for superficial reasons yet again.
Roxie is the superior wrestler, what she lacks, is obviously business sense.

WW3 is obviously more than just about experience. She wants in the game, but refuses to play the game. She knows why she isn't getting in the game, then by the sounds of it, gets upset when anyone else who gets into the WW3 gets in, when it isn't her.

The other's obviously know they need to look the part, which Roxie is refusing to do.

dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Well, there's a difference between "having big breasts gives you a breast up on the competition" and "having big breasts is all that matters", which Roxie may not have wanted to admit to herself until now. Alternatively (or perhaps additionally), there's also a difference between "I know my big breasts will get me a shot at the big time, but I'll put in the time and effort to learn the craft a little before taking it" and "I don't need to bother learning the craft before getting a shot at the big time, so I'll just take it anyway."

Honestly, I haven't watched wrestling in about 10-15 years, but one of the things I hated when I did watch was that every female wrestler had to have big breasts, either naturally or via implants. If this strip is any indication, that's still true, and it kind of sickens me on several levels.