Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

11-08-18 Miss that sourpuss

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 11-08-18 Miss that sourpuss

Post by OllieOrOlly »

I guess effort means nothing compared to natural talent? Aha. I don't understand French, but Google translate seemed to verify the presumption of the context, in that DiDi let it slip that she was moving up to the big leagues, too; I guess it is par for the course for DiDi to be super insensitive - though, most of the time it seems to be due to ignorance or apathy, yet here it appears as though she knew Roxie would be upset to learn that DiDi made the professional leap before her.
Although, I'd wager DiDi is "oops"ing because she was under an NDA of sorts, not because she knew Roxie would be upset, thus fulfilling her usual trend of insensitivity.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, that answers that timing question. And yep, DiDi continues to be, innocently, unintentionally, a total jerk. If the writers want to make her look like a better person before the comic finishes, they're going to have to hurry.

Anyhow -- if kayfabe is preserved even in the showers, shouldn't Brandy and Roxie be trying to kill each other? And does Giz have another layer in her Photoshop file for this strip without the white-out/fade at the bottom of each frame?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 am
Although, I'd wager DiDi is "oops"ing because she was under an NDA of sorts, not because she knew Roxie would be upset, thus fulfilling her usual trend of insensitivity.
Lynn told her not to tell Roxie because she thought Roxie would talk her out of it.

Roxie is DiDi's trainer, remember? She knows DiDi is too green for the big leagues. She's yet to have her first official match yet.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Creative use of the steam interference from the shower, as opposed to soap foam interference or arms-blocking censorship.

Didi is too vapid to keep a secret. I expect Roxie trying to talk her out of signing, explaining that Didi is not ready. Only, it will go in one ear and out the other.

As far as making Didi into a better person, I feel that this aspect in particular of Didi - her cluelessness and insensitivity to others - is deeply ingrained into the character. It would be like asking Gary to not be a nice guy. If the creative team are wanting her to have interpersonal character development, they are probably going to have to emphasize other areas of her personality in order to mitigate her fault. Even kayfabe is mostly lost on her, so I don't really know what positive traits they could develop further. Maybe she is meant to be a static rock... dense and blunt.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am

Didi is too vapid to keep a secret. I expect Roxie trying to talk her out of signing, explaining that Didi is not ready.

Plus Lyn's boss made it clear he only wanted DiDi for her looks.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Oh, man! It's not just the water that's gonna be steamed now! :))

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Also, still no sign of Zii. What gives?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Looks like we're going to see Chastel get suplexed in the shower.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:23 am
Also, still no sign of Zii. What gives?
Working in the comics shop, trying to turn two idiots into a band, and banging DiDi and reading comics in the evenings?
Error of Logic wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:58 am
Looks like we're going to see Chastel get suplexed in the shower.
Is that what kids call it these days?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

well I didn't use google translate so I thot it was Didi was going to miss Roxie because Roxie was going to the WW3, oops, thanks for clearing that up for me forumites (is that a word? spell check says no :P )

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Cue Roxy being mad as hell because she wasn't chosen for the WW3. Of course, "mad as hell" is pretty much her default setting so will we be able to tell the difference?

As for DiDI's social cluelessness and insensitivity, let's be brutally honest here - someone as good-looking as DiDi doesn't have to be clueful and sensitive. People will be drawn to her for her raw sex appeal (yes I know she's not every reader's idea of a sex goddess, but in-universe her appeal is almost universal), but of course, only those who can put up with her social incompetence and understand it isn't malevolent will stick around (or they'll just stick around for the sex until she dumps them). So I don't expect that character trait of hers to change at this late date.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Mr. Bee

Post by Mr. Bee »

It's also the fact that Roxy just became champ because of DiDi, kayfabe wise, and now DiDi is leaving. So there is this whole big bad new character that gets involved in the match, aligns herself with Roxy and practically hands her the belt making it look like Roxy can't get it done on her own, which Roxy only begrudgingly went along with in the first place, and then poof, she's gone. Not to mention DiDi knew she was leaving *before* all this went down and she didn't tell anyone, so plans went on ahead as if DiDi would be around for a while. Didi isn't just affecting Roxy, by hanging her character out to dry, with her clueless, selfish actions, she affecting the whole promotions plans as well.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 am
Anyhow -- if kayfabe is preserved even in the showers, shouldn't Brandy and Roxie be trying to kill each other? And does Giz have another layer in her Photoshop file for this strip without the white-out/fade at the bottom of each frame?
Unless the audience was watching them shower I think it's safe to drop character.
Mr. Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 pm
It's also the fact that Roxy just became champ because of DiDi, kayfabe wise, and now DiDi is leaving. So there is this whole big bad new character that gets involved in the match, aligns herself with Roxy and practically hands her the belt making it look like Roxy can't get it done on her own, which Roxy only begrudgingly went along with in the first place, and then poof, she's gone. Not to mention DiDi knew she was leaving *before* all this went down and she didn't tell anyone, so plans went on ahead as if DiDi would be around for a while. Didi isn't just affecting Roxy, by hanging her character out to dry, with her clueless, selfish actions, she affecting the whole promotions plans as well.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought DiDi just revealed that Roxie was getting the promotion and couldn't remember when she would've been told that.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mr. Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 pm
Ah, logical. So DiDi is acting in her new occupation the same way that she used to in her sex life. But Roxie is one of the few people who doesn’t automatically forgive her crap...
---------
Spidrift