11-08-18 Miss that sourpuss

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

rogermart

Re: 11-08-18 Miss that sourpuss

Post by rogermart »

Exactly, Roxie is immune to the Didi effect, so she will not forgive that...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:30 pm
Working in the comics shop, trying to turn two idiots into a band, and banging DiDi and reading comics in the evenings?
That's sort of my point. If she's not changing her life to be better, she can't expect it to become better on its own. Granted: she is working on developing the skills of her new bandmates. But I was more meaning watching Didi wrestle, or talk about what happened concerning the mystery stranger Didi was going to bang but Zii has no idea who is. Then there's the longing look back to Gary, too.

It would have been nice to see a Zii cameo face-shot front row of the powerbomb. Zii did say she should see Didi wrestle, but now isn't doing it?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

So her character development is in stasis. Doesn’t reflect especially well on her, but in literary terms, well, the writers have cause to talk more about other characters, so there you are, and in in-setting terms, sometimes, anyone can find themselves snowed under with routine crud for a week or two, and put any big personal issues on hold, so I don’t see this as either significant or negative.

TL,DR: These are strips about other characters, not Zii. Deal.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

RemoWilliams

Post by RemoWilliams »

I work in a place that has a lot of court-appointed volunteers and some of them will screw up tasks that a ten-year could accomplish.

Sometimes I want to ask them, "Did you screw this up because you're a moron? Or, maybe you just don't give a shit. Self-centered or Stupid, which are you?"

I'll admit that if I ever met someone like DiDi in real life, I would instantly fall prey to the "DiDi Effect". But, within the comic, somebody really needs to ask her that.

Remo Williams,
The Master of Sinanju.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Well put, @Remo.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

themacnut wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:22 pm
Cue Roxy being mad as hell because she wasn't chosen for the WW3.
Again, that wouldn't be the issue at all. It's more that DiDi is too green.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Cortez wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:38 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 am
Although, I'd wager DiDi is "oops"ing because she was under an NDA of sorts, not because she knew Roxie would be upset, thus fulfilling her usual trend of insensitivity.
Lynn told her not to tell Roxie because she thought Roxie would talk her out of it.

Roxie is DiDi's trainer, remember? She knows DiDi is too green for the big leagues. She's yet to have her first official match yet.
The general point I was getting at was that DiDi was most likely not being considerate of Roxie's feelings; DiDi is so self-centred, the thought that Roxie might be upset that a junior is surpassing her never even crossed DiDi's mind.

Your last paragraph starts a bit condescending - if you have to ask if someone remembers something, presume they don't.
Anyway, I believe DiDi just had her first official match, albeit in the amateur league, which is why they are now in the showers; besides, I thought it was established that Roxie knew DiDi has a lot of potential but still lacks finesse, thus didn't realise her pupil would be scouted so soon, let alone before the coach.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 pm
Mr. Bee wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:04 pm
It's also the fact that Roxy just became champ because of DiDi, kayfabe wise, and now DiDi is leaving. So there is this whole big bad new character that gets involved in the match, aligns herself with Roxy and practically hands her the belt making it look like Roxy can't get it done on her own, which Roxy only begrudgingly went along with in the first place, and then poof, she's gone. Not to mention DiDi knew she was leaving *before* all this went down and she didn't tell anyone, so plans went on ahead as if DiDi would be around for a while. Didi isn't just affecting Roxy, by hanging her character out to dry, with her clueless, selfish actions, she affecting the whole promotions plans as well.
Ah, logical. So DiDi is acting in her new occupation the same way that she used to in her sex life. But Roxie is one of the few people who doesn’t automatically forgive her crap...
I guess the twist is that Roxie will become the "hero?" Haha! I know it's a slice of life series, but if we look at it like the theatre of wrestling - powerhouse swoops in, attempts to *befriend* the knowledgable yet struggling fighter, gets fighter to begrudgingly train her, then ignores the fighter and most of the training when scouted by a pro (and her interest in the pro rose not from career opportunities, but for superficial lusts).
Overall, from we've seen, Roxie is a sympathetic character - flawed with anger issues, and insecurities, but still decent - whereas DiDi is too stupid to completely understand her strengths, but clearly knows her beauty enough to manipulate people, discarding them when they *fail* to deliver, and has a careless bordering on sociopathic regard to everyone.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:46 am
Anyway, I believe DiDi just had her first official match,
No she did not. She just did a run in, that is not a match. The match was between Roxie and Brandy.

So no, Didi has yet to have her debut match. Right now she's acting as Roxie's bodyguard to gain experience.
The general point I was getting at was that DiDi was most likely not being considerate of Roxie's feelings; DiDi is so self-centred, the thought that Roxie might be upset that a junior is surpassing her never even crossed DiDi's mind.
And again, that probably won't be the bigger issue. Roxie will likely be more worried about the WW3 turning DiDi into an Eva Marie.

Osaru Sensei
Location: Sweden, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Osaru Sensei »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:16 pm
She is indeed a wonderful artist who could doubtless turn her hand to anything, but from what I've seen, I don't get the feeling that she's very interested in depicting some of those bits in all their wrinkly Lovecraftian glory.
Wanna chat with me in realtime? Click my webpage button. In case I happen to be online, anyways...
He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it. –– Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé
The very moment I understood Callie was my fav character.
High Priestess in the Church of Brasca

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Cortez wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:18 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:46 am
Anyway, I believe DiDi just had her first official match,
No she did not. She just did a run in, that is not a match. The match was between Roxie and Brandy.

So no, Didi has yet to have her debut match. Right now she's acting as Roxie's bodyguard to gain experience.
And again, that probably won't be the bigger issue. Roxie will likely be more worried about the WW3 turning DiDi into an Eva Marie.

Ah, okay. Pardon my lack of knowledge of the structure of wrestling performances; I didn't realise debuts meant in terms of being featured, rather than simply first appearances in the ring.

I had to Google Eva Marie, but I don't quite understand the comparison; I guess something about being too rushed to forefront too early with too little preparation? Regardless, you missed my point again - it wasn't whether or not Roxie would be upset, but rather DiDi didn't care enough to even consider any reaction of someone she declared to be a friend.