Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

09-08-18 Powerbombed

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 09-08-18 Powerbombed

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Well, it's a less interesting plotline, at least for me because I dislike DiDi and have no feelings for wrestling, good or bad.
A week prior flashback, though I don't know how it will become relevant; maybe my time is off, but presumably this is before DiDi's failed attempt to cash in her "friends with benefits" with Lynn? ... I guess we could get some tie-in with the absurd spy thriller plot that came out of nowhere? It'd still be a jarring genre shift, but at least it will gain some support by being linked with the other B plot.

Regardless, I really like the design of DiDi's wrestling attire - has the gloriously cheesy look of an '80's post-apocalyptic/exploitation film. Or possibly genderbent, slutty Terminator? Either way, brilliant.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

"Je requiers tes vêtements, tes bottes, et ta motocyclette."

Capellan

Post by Capellan »

Panel 1 is not a pin. It's a submission hold. Dialogue should be "Roxy is tapping out to the champ but the ref is unconscious!" or something like that.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Good one, @Storm.

I wonder if Zii had any input into designing her wardrobe... looks a little similar.

I would have rather seen what happened between Gary & Peggy, 'eyelash' removal or paramedics notwithstanding. But we have to see what's been going on with Didi & Zii, so, let's get it on.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 am
Well, it's a less interesting plotline, at least for me because I dislike DiDi and have no feelings for wrestling, good or bad.
Yeah, pretty much. I mean, I don't mind seeing what happens to DiDi -- I think she's been depicted as a fairly horrible person, intentionally or not, but I confess that I'm mildly curious as to how the team (try to) write their way out of this. However, the wrestling stuff feels like it's being written in a language I don't actually speak.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
A week prior flashback, though I don't know how it will become relevant; maybe my time is off, but presumably this is before DiDi's failed attempt to cash in her "friends with benefits" with Lynn?
No, I think that we've had a time jump of greater than a week, so this is happening after the scene with Lynn. Not that this comic is terribly disciplined about the passage of time. I think that everything has just vaguely moved forward to a new set of events.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Regardless, I really like the design of DiDi's wrestling attire - has the gloriously cheesy look of an '80's post-apocalyptic/exploitation film. Or possibly genderbent, slutty Terminator? Either way, brilliant.
It's fun, definitely.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 am
I wonder if Zii had any input into designing her wardrobe... looks a little similar.
It's good, but it's fairly generic sexy rock/biker chick stuff. Zii didn't invent that.

Mind you, I think that the buckle with a sharp point projecting above the line of the belt is very dubious design. DiDi is going to suffer a painful jab in the gut every time she bends at the waist.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

Also, the lock on her chocker would mark her as a sub or as owned and collared to some kinky people.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

...Which is probably unintentional, but then again, if she's playing someone's bodyguard/minion, it could be a bit of an in-joke for any kinksters in the audience.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

This is DiDi's actual debut and i like that she sorta looks like Kevin Nash.
but presumably this is before DiDi's failed attempt to cash in her "friends with benefits" with Lynn?
No, this is clearly after. This is DiDi making her debut as Roxie's bodyguard. Which means she didn't get the WW3 gig.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I thought she was supposed to have her first match with Roxie, then sign some time after... ostensibly later that week. While she still might have not gotten the job, I don't think it is up to Lynn to make that decision. Her 'evil' boss does, although, he/she/they might take her advice before having Didi sign away.

I could see jealous competitive Maura getting flustered over sleeping with Lynn just to have Didi still get the WW3 contract. Or her overhearing it, and trying to sabotage it. Not that Maura was intending on using sex to land a better wrestling spot; but, it wouldn't be out of context either. She was coming on to Lynn, even if from a confused state of mind.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Dave Zero1

Post by Dave Zero1 »

Capellan wrote:
Panel 1 is not a pin. It's a submission hold. Dialogue should be "Roxy is tapping out to the champ but the ref is unconscious!" or something like that.
Yeah, I caught that too this morning, This is totally my fault, When I wrote the script It was originally a pin but later changed it to a submission as I thought that would make more sense, I coulda sworn I changed it but it slipped passed me.

I take full responsibility on this one, I screwed up. We'll see what we can do about changing it later.

Apologies.

brasca

Post by brasca »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Good one, @Storm.

Maybe she asked Jung to design it. I’m not sure if costume design is something he wants to do professionally, but having a pro wrestler wear his outfit would definitely boost his profile.

As much as I like Gary and Peggy I’m glad the plot is switching focus although I’m more interested in Roxy’s storyline than DiDi’s

meps98

Post by meps98 »

Timing is everything in theatrical wrestling. Mess it up and someone could be seriously hurt. I wonder if the Champ is even really conscious right now.

Continuity

Post by Continuity »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:38 am
... DiDi is going to suffer a painful jab in the gut every time she bends at the waist.
I hear everyone from the show Archer yelling "PHRASING!" :))

Seawee

Post by Seawee »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm
This is DiDi's actual debut and i like that she sorta looks like Kevin Nash.
Hopefully her quads will last.
Dave Zero1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:36 pm
I take full responsibility on this one, I screwed up.
Dave screwed Dave.

Anyway, was her timing really off? Looks like she interupted in time to me.