07-08-18 Something in my eye

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: 07-08-18 Something in my eye

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 am

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:11 am
Ah, the power of sincerity. Gets 'em every time.

Now, I wouldn’t take this as proof that Peggy is truly smitten with Gary. She might be, or it might just be that she’s had a sad shortage of people saying honestly nice things to her recently. But even she might have difficulty disentangling the two effects.

(And the funny thing is, the other Ma3 character who sometimes emphasises the word “casual” when talking about her sex life In an attempt to muddy the waters is Zii.)
I concur that it isn't necessarily her being smitten, but rather genuinely touched (emotionally. Ahem), as her previous long-term relationship was shown as stifling and the guy seemed to be emotionally unavailable and/or lacking; thus, Peggy had her second sexual odyssey, yet is now reaching a place wherein she can accept a relationship that isn't merely kinky screwing. So, Gary's earnest words moved her, and making her consider whether or not love could blossom between them.

While Zii also emphasises "casual" to undermine a more intimate relationship, a difference seems that Zii's reasons are fear of the unknown and selfishness, whereas Peggy has anxiety because of her prior bad experience in a long-term commitment, as well as probably simply observing the bat-shit melodrama of the main cast, which came from broken relationships. Peggy may be capable of loving Gary, but knowing the madness that surrounds him, doesn't want to sabotage the comfortable dynamic they already share.

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: 07-08-18 Something in my eye

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 am

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Wow. Compliments to Giz and Dave for inspiring such venom toward nonexistent people.
Bit of an exaggeration. Half seemed positive, quarter were negative, and the remainder were indifferent. Hardly the height of vitriol seen in the forums; also, not near the most *controversial* of characters. Aha

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: 07-08-18 Something in my eye

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:09 am

themacnut wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 pm
So some people really want to see Gary with the girl who's terrible at maintaining long-term relationships, and even staying faithful to her partners??? She who ran from Gary the minute DiDi showed up and shook her ta-tas Zii's way? You people really want to see Zii be the Final Girl???

She has some good insights sometimes, but that doesn't make Zii a good girlfriend. In fact as rogermart said, she insightfully pointed out why Peggy would make the better girlfriend.
Plus, there's that old saying, "those who can't do, teach." While Zii seems utterly incapable of sustaining a romantic - or even functional - relationship, she does appear to be a fairly competent tutor when she has no *investment* in the example.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12754
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Post by Spidrift » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 am

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 am
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Wow. Compliments to Giz and Dave for inspiring such venom toward nonexistent people.
Bit of an exaggeration. Half seemed positive, quarter were negative, and the remainder were indifferent. Hardly the height of vitriol seen in the forums; also, not near the most *controversial* of characters. Aha
Oh, most people here are reasonably sane. But it's the 25% minority who have me impressed. They're not in a class with the frothers who got the mass banhammer moving a couple of years back, but some of them are impressively irate nonetheless. I get the feeling that a woman who enjoys penetrating men is a bit of a trigger.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re:

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 am

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 am
Spidrift wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Wow. Compliments to Giz and Dave for inspiring such venom toward nonexistent people.
Bit of an exaggeration. Half seemed positive, quarter were negative, and the remainder were indifferent. Hardly the height of vitriol seen in the forums; also, not near the most *controversial* of characters. Aha
Oh, most people here are reasonably sane. But it's the 25% minority who have me impressed. They're not in a class with the frothers who got the mass banhammer moving a couple of years back, but some of them are impressively irate nonetheless. I get the feeling that a woman who enjoys penetrating men is a bit of a trigger.
Haha! Fair point. Well, I'm not a fan of the pegging either, but mainly because it became an overused joke, rather than any whatever politics they think it is pushing.

JoybuzzerX
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:02 am

Re: Re:

Post by JoybuzzerX » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:46 pm

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 am
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:34 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 am

Bit of an exaggeration. Half seemed positive, quarter were negative, and the remainder were indifferent. Hardly the height of vitriol seen in the forums; also, not near the most *controversial* of characters. Aha
Oh, most people here are reasonably sane. But it's the 25% minority who have me impressed. They're not in a class with the frothers who got the mass banhammer moving a couple of years back, but some of them are impressively irate nonetheless. I get the feeling that a woman who enjoys penetrating men is a bit of a trigger.
Haha! Fair point. Well, I'm not a fan of the pegging either, but mainly because it became an overused joke, rather than any whatever politics they think it is pushing.
I never thought they were pushing politics, but rather going "Haha...Gary takes it from behind" in their humor. O.O

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12754
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 07-08-18 Something in my eye

Post by Spidrift » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Well, yes, the prevalence of pegging and similar jokes in this comic is clearly because someone assumes that "straight guy takes something up the butt" is inherently funny. (And it may well be overused, because never tell a joke once when you can use it once a month, right?) Which comes back to straight guys being kind of insecure about butt stuff. Insecurity being triggered is assumed to be funny.

What then does actually amuse me is readers on these boards demonstrating just how incredibly insecure they are indeed about butt stuff.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Post Reply