Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

worldshaking00

Re: 07-08-18 Something in my eye

Post by worldshaking00 »

Jackass Mask wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:15 pm
Damn, I had really hoped this ship had sunk below the waves <snip>
I don't think the ship was truly ever sunk. Lost at sea and wandering aimlessly, maybe. Some would call it more of a pleasure cruise. Peggy wanted a lifestyle with a sexual partner, free from commitment. Gary was content to just be getting laid, but was hoping to play the long game and develop a relationship. That is arguably giving Gary credit for coming up with a plan, rather than having the universe unfold as it will. Compromise: Gary placed himself in a potentially favorable position.

I for one am happy for the developments, although I've had the rug pulled out from underneath me before so I am a little skeptical. The creative team are doing a very good job of replacing their traditional panel 4 gag-punchline with a panel 4 cliffhanger ripe with uncertainty. Evidently, Peggy is emotional at what Gary has told her. The obvious reason she left to deal with her 'eyelash' is that she is realizing she has feelings for Gary too, but is conflicted because she hasn't fully dealt with putting her past with Jim away... or at least enough to come out of her predefined comfort zone. She knows Gary is a decent guy and would never hurt her, would support her, and cherish the time they spend together. They have physical chemistry. They have a few shared interests and she doesn't mind Gary his geeknesses. Jim has been out of the picture for a long time now. Peggy, being the logical and sane paragon, is now on the hot seat. Does she open up more than just her legs & mind (for guidance & advice) for Gary?

I hope she does. I hope she comes out of the bathroom and tells Gary of her hesitance. She doesn't have to feel ashamed over her 'eyelash'. Gary would understand her feelings about opening up after being hurt by her previous relationship. She had a panic attack; and even though she did not leap into Gary's arms kissing him passionately, Gary hopefully recognizes that he has profoundly moved Peggy. Both of these characters are empathetic and tender and value friendship. She doesn't technically owe Gary a response, although their interaction would be an elephant in the room until it gets some resolution. Other than 'not being ready to move on yet' or her career, what honest reason can Peggy give to Gary to not go steady with him?

And that's where the 'carpet pull' mentioned above can come into play: are those tears of joy she was hiding from Gary, or is she truly afraid of commitment now and can't handle it. How far will the creative team take her trauma? If I had my wish, I'd want her to come out after composing herself, and ask Gary if she can have sex with him. Not casual sex... sex... with all the implications and attachments. The difference being, that she accepts Gary.
cheshire86 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 am
So, it's been five or more days for the characters... and no resolution of Gary and Zii's encounter? Where are Zii and Didi? I see Lita's still around... but no sign of the other house residents.
Considering that Peggy & Gary are living in a relative vacuum now, we have to assume that Zii is helping Didi out with her wrestling. It certainly can't be because Zii & Didi are giving Gary space; the flat is too small to not bump into each other. Plus Peggy and Gary came out of the bedroom mostly (if not totally) naked. While each of the characters has seen the other in some degree of nudity, traditional politeness would say a towel or long shirt should be in order before barging out into the apartment at large. Thus, another argument for Zii & Didi not being in the apartment - no one else is there. Since there might be some travel involved, it makes sense that neither of them are seen at the apartment. Or they are working out their own relationship, for good or bad, outside of the apartment. Zii has told Gary that Lita is pretty much his pet now, if not officially given her to him. Lita doesn't need the stress of being taken from place to place while Zii works her shit out. And Zii has a lot of bags to unpack still without adding Didi's wrestling into the mix.

I'd like to see the creative team give us a solid end-point to this current arc (either Peggy leaping into Gary's arms, or her moving to the Yukon out of fear of commitment, or some reaction definitive). It might make things easier for them to compartmentalize the mini-arcs when intermixing SDB with Ma3. It certainly would be less confusing for the readership, if not exactly answering every question about every character in a timely fashion. Can't please everyone.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Shinjischneider

Post by Shinjischneider »

Now this is more the comic i know

TheFoolishOne

Post by TheFoolishOne »

darn, I really wanted to see the Zii Gary hookup, oh well :(

jish55

Post by jish55 »

Oooooo someone lurves him :D.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

TheFoolishOne wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 pm
darn, I really wanted to see the Zii Gary hookup, oh well :(
I would have liked to see a resolution like that too, had Zii not gone cuckoo-for-Didi... and the drama that resulted in that. I can appreciate the romanticism of 'what could have been'. There has been plenty of opportunity for Zii to have snagged Gary for herself. Perhaps Ma3 is about to mirror real life, in that opportunity only knocks so many times.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Peggy + Gary are the end coupling. See "rug pull" a few posts above. Peggy could get hit by a truck, although even I'll admit that would be an extreme exit strategy.
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms

brasca

Post by brasca »

Badman! wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:33 am
So for now, this is peggy's flaw : her inability to invest herself in a serious relationship and to share her feeling with her partner...
She may be reluctant considering her previous track record. She was willing to settle for Jim until that fateful encounter with Sonya and more recently revisiting an old relationship from college that didn’t end well.

It’s understandable and better than leading someone on for her own enjoyment, but this seems to be the first time she’s actually realized she has feelings for Gary... or so I hope because heart disease is no laughing matter. :(

JackApostrophe

Post by JackApostrophe »

Personally I want Gary to end up single but content, as opposed to single and miserable as he was at the start.

raoullefere

Post by raoullefere »

themacnut wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 pm
So some people really want to see Gary with the girl who's terrible at maintaining long-term relationships, and even staying faithful to her partners??? She who ran from Gary the minute DiDi showed up and shook her ta-tas Zii's way? You people really want to see Zii be the Final Girl???

She has some good insights sometimes, but that doesn't make Zii a good girlfriend. In fact as rogermart said, she insightfully pointed out why Peggy would make the better girlfriend.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's in the cards. Her running in this strip makes me think it's too soon for Peggy to get into that sort of relationship right now, and she doesn't want her crying over the sincerity of Gary's offer/comment to be misread. This again, puts her over the top compared to the majority of women in this comic, but it also puts her out of the race.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Ugh, you have a point there raoullefere, I too fear that Peggy may not feel herself ready for another LTR any time soon. If that turns out to be the case, I'd rather Gary end up single but content than with Zii. I highly doubt he's got a real chance with Zii anyway while she's got DiDi on the brain and the loins, and even if she didn't, her LTR track record is terrible - he's better off alone than with her.

Even a casual bang would be bad, since Gary would end up wanting more while Zii likely wouldn't ("casual" bang remember?). Plus I'm pretty sure Zii would only bang Gary if she had no other alternatives (i.e. DiDi blew her off for good) and was really, really horny.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Jesus Christ on a Cracker. Gary said something romantic. Poor Peggy's a goner.

Needed: more of Peggy's butt. Question: why does she wear a halter/bra while doing it?

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Maybe she doesn't like bouncing around while pegging Gary? Absorbent material for boob sweat? Facebook craze like eating Tide Pods?

Real answers: probably easier to draw and nipple-censorship.
themacnut wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:18 pm
Plus I'm pretty sure Zii would only bang Gary if she had no other alternatives (i.e. DiDi blew her off for good) and was really, really horny.
Quite possibly, although Zii knows Gary is a decent guy. Her own self-image at being seen with a geek combined with treating him intentionally like a kid brother - or competition - are also factors. Perhaps future strips are going to have Didi & Zii break it off during the five-or-so days we've seen so far. Didi could be off wrestling and Zii could be off in her van, feeling sad or getting over it. So many possibilities, I'm going to have to make more popcorn.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Antinerd wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:29 pm
Jesus Christ on a Cracker. Gary said something romantic. Poor Peggy's a goner.

Needed: more of Peggy's butt. Question: why does she wear a halter/bra while doing it?
Short answer is censors, but I could plausibly see a need for wearing one if her breasts flop around too much when she's using the strap-on. Keep in mind she was doing that before giving Gary a go.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Nah. It's just censorship so they don't lose too much advertising revenue, not that I believe it earns them any significant amount of money anymore.

Now, when a book is being prepped for release, much of the censorship is removed while still maintaining a 16+ HBO style rating.

Of course, God help us if Giz ever decides to go all-out 18+ hard core Oglaf style! :))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yeah, it’s the censorship. But as I said before, I’m sure that Giz has a Photoshop file for every strip withone layer consisting entirely of line drawings of a bra, and another (currently turned off) consisting entirely of tiny concentric circles, and when it comes to preparing the print volume she’ll turn the first off and the second on.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

Castamir wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 pm
crimzontearz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:09 pm
Oh God please please please let this ship sale
Concurred — it needs to get sold for scrap. Peggy is a nasty pain in the ass (by two meanings).
Not sure if trolling, or ...