Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

03-07-18 SDB-do my best to satisfy you

Post by Giz »

OllieOrOlly

Re: 03-07-18 SDB-do my best to satisfy you

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Okay, I can buy Dillon does realise Ruby is attractive, even if he isn't attracted to her because of his own orientation, yet it still seems like an especially dumb move to undermine her confidence, even jokingly.

I think Ruby and Andy are too awkward for their own good; it seems like Andy was genuinely trying to be *good* boyfriend, but he phrased his support too poorly; similarly, Ruby became too aggressively defensive, as she finds any comparison to Amber - indirect or direct - extremely off-putting.

On another note, Ruby is arguably the pinnacle of adorkable, even surpassing adorkable poster child, Gary. :))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, I stand by the guess that Ruby is more like what Gary was meant to be, before Menage a 3 went all Menage a 3 and turned him into a deranged geek sex god. And Dillon does need to understand when humour is inappropriate.

Also - flashback, as some of us anticipated, and "to the next level" meant "meet my parents", as someone guessed a while back.

But anyway, now it's Ruby's turn to be written as too-dumb-to-live. I don't mean her brittleness on the night in question -- that was entirely understandable and in character, if unfortunate; but saying "I don't know what went wrong" when what went wrong was Andy saying something she found rude and her losing her temper in response is just silly.

Anyhow, even so, points for a little subtlety in the character writing. Ruby's trouble is clearly that she does want sex that bad, but admitting it when she's started from the opposite position, intellectually, has to be hard work. And yes, sorting out her problem with Amber has to be a priority sometime; even if she doesn't care about her relationship with her sister, it's not healthy to define yourself as the opposite of someone else.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

And just as I thought and hoped it was just a misunderstanding but unfortunately Ruby took it the wrong way because of her own insecurities. Hopefully Ruby didn't scare Andy off with that outburst.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Andy seems to be a bit of a human sponge. At worst, I reckon that an honest apology will get him back. After all, Ruby implied last time that they carried on with their date, just without sex.

(Which at least means that they may have had the Middle Eastern food and the baked goods dessert. Hmm. What is it with sexy bakers in the Ma3 universe?)

The interesting question, in terms of his characterisation (of which he hasn’t had very much), is whether his line there is flat-out dim-witted weirdness, or whether he was guilty of the same mistake as Dillon — trying to lighten the mood with a teasing joke when Ruby was in no state to be teased.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Andy made the mistake of presuming there would be sex on their first date and now it’s just the opposite. Damned if you do damned if you don’t.

And I don’t think Ruby is being uncharacteristicly stupid. It’s her first time, she tends to be awkward in situations like these, and she has some unresolved issues with her sister. It’s an exceptional moment.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I said -- the stupidity isn't in the flashback, that's entirely understandable; it's in the "I just don't know what went wrong".
---------
Spidrift

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm
the stupidity isn't in the flashback, that's entirely understandable.
No it is not. You have to be a complete moron to pass up the opportunity to be Ruby's first like that.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Point.

Though the honour is really in the being chosen, isn’t it? And anyway, if we give Andy the benefit of the doubt, he didn’t try to turn her down; he just botched a joke.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

The irony would be if Andy is questioning his desirability too. Ruby has never been weak in the knees over him which is why he might’ve thought she didn’t want sex.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It’d be nice if we knew more about Andy. All we’ve got is “so clueless he doesn’t notice all those people making passes at him, heterosexual, competent at his job, likes Ruby enough to put up with her flares of temper, shares her taste for Middle Eastern food”. Which is a very thin, neutral character; inert, statistical average, competent, bit of a human sponge, likes spicy food.

He shouldn’t be doubting his own appeal — his colleague told him to his face that he’s got lots of people after him — but then, nor should Ruby. We just don’t know. If he was teasing here, that’s a bit more personality than he’s previously displayed; if not, he’s incredibly passive.

Perhaps Ruby does need to meet his family; they may be so desperate to get the doofus out of his shell that they’d help her to get his pants off...
---------
Spidrift

tanonev

Post by tanonev »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm
I said -- the stupidity isn't in the flashback, that's entirely understandable; it's in the "I just don't know what went wrong".
To be fair, she could be referring to "I don't understand why I reacted so badly to what was an honest misunderstanding" as opposed to "I don't understand why the date fell apart after I got angry."