30-06-18 SDB-Started to heat up

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

samtheman

Re: 30-06-18 SDB-Started to heat up

Post by samtheman »

We still don't know the whole story of what happened between Ruby and Andy but poor Ruby is now feeling insecure because of it. Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding just like almost everything else in this setting. I don't want Ruby's insecurities getting so bad she ends up like Kiley.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ruby and Kiley actually have a lot in common — scary gifts for psychological manipulation, just about moderated by personal moral codes, just for a start — but have been shaped by different adolescent traumas. They’re unlikely to come out very similar. This current worry is just a speed bump for Ruby, compared to the big stuff in her past.

Though if Ruby ever gained Kiley’s gift for psychological analysis, or Kiley ever matched Ruby’s flair for selling a line fast, well, God help Montreal.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:12 am
And there's no need to analyse why Ruby "should" be seen as attractive; just look at how she's drawn. She has killer legs, a nice figure (on the slim side, but undeniably feminine), and a pleasant face that lights up when she smiles. I'm pretty sure that most straight men looking at the comic will allow that she's an attractive woman. Equally, it's been acknowledged in-story; Dillon used her legs as a male heterosexuality detector, and Zii's first response to her was to describe her as a "fine young woman". For any narrative purpose, she is attractive.
Oh, I concur; her beauty is self-evident. I wasn't so much "analysing" why Ruby should be seen as attractive, but rather further criticising Dillon for his uncertainty over that fact - regardless of one's gender or sexual orientation, one can usually see if another person is aesthetically pleasing, thus emphasising Dillon's idiocy (I know you noted he is a "comedy idiot," yet not believing Ruby is beautiful is beyond idiotic).

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Spidrift wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 pm
Ruby and Kiley actually have a lot in common — scary gifts for psychological manipulation, just about moderated by personal moral codes, just for a start — but have been shaped by different adolescent traumas. They’re unlikely to come out very similar. This current worry is just a speed bump for Ruby, compared to the big stuff in her past.

Though if Ruby ever gained Kiley’s gift for psychological analysis, or Kiley ever matched Ruby’s flair for selling a line fast, well, God help Montreal.
I'm now imagining Ruby and Kiley meeting somewhere somehow and becoming very good friends (but not lovers because Ruby and Kiley are both functionally straight). We haven't seen Ruby have any other friends other than Dillon and Zii (and with Dillon it's a case of With Friends Like These) and Kiley doesn't seem to have any girl friends at all she can talk to.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The lack of friends is much of the point with Ruby. Kiley, on the other hand, must have a whole other life we’ve never seen; she’s a student, but we’ve never seen her student-ing.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

OldBrit

Post by OldBrit »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 am
Oh, I concur; her beauty is self-evident. I wasn't so much "analysing" why Ruby should be seen as attractive, but rather further criticising Dillon for his uncertainty over that fact - regardless of one's gender or sexual orientation, one can usually see if another person is aesthetically pleasing, thus emphasising Dillon's idiocy (I know you noted he is a "comedy idiot," yet not believing Ruby is beautiful is beyond idiotic).
Dillon knows Ruby is attractive, he just has a strange way of expressing that fact to Ruby. He's attempting a 'big brother put-down' compliment. Yes, that does make him a comedy idiot.

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Spidrift wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:41 am
Thinking more on what Brasca suggested -- I still think that Ruby, rather clearly, wants to go to bed with Andy, and he should have seen that. But the simplest (and potentially rather boring) explanation here may be a simple communication failure. If she said "We could, you know, have sex. If you'd like that.", from her nervous virginal point of view, that's one small step short of flashing him and yelling "TAKE ME NOW LONG AND HARD YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD". After all, everyone knows that all men are gagging for it, right? So any willing offer has to imply genuine commitment.

But from his nervous virginal point of view, he'd hear that as "I don't really want sex, but I'll do it if you insist" -- after all, true consent should be enthusiastic, right? And a gentleman doesn't push a lady into something she doesn't want, right? So of course he'd say "no thanks".
The affirmative consent rules some colleges have adopted consider it sexual assault if consent isn't enthusiastic at every stage. Andy might have been taught that in his college days.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Andy strikes me as more the "old-fashioned gentleman" type than the "overloaded with over-cautious college policies" type. But in the circumstances, of course, that may be a distinction without a difference.
---------
Spidrift

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

What I'm saying is that it isn't necessarily a situation like James and Tracy.

brasca

Post by brasca »

tau neutrino wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:07 am
Spidrift wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:41 am
Thinking more on what Brasca suggested -- I still think that Ruby, rather clearly, wants to go to bed with Andy, and he should have seen that. But the simplest (and potentially rather boring) explanation here may be a simple communication failure. If she said "We could, you know, have sex. If you'd like that.", from her nervous virginal point of view, that's one small step short of flashing him and yelling "TAKE ME NOW LONG AND HARD YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD". After all, everyone knows that all men are gagging for it, right? So any willing offer has to imply genuine commitment.

But from his nervous virginal point of view, he'd hear that as "I don't really want sex, but I'll do it if you insist" -- after all, true consent should be enthusiastic, right? And a gentleman doesn't push a lady into something she doesn't want, right? So of course he'd say "no thanks".
The affirmative consent rules some colleges have adopted consider it sexual assault if consent isn't enthusiastic at every stage. Andy might have been taught that in his college days.
I think Andy graduated by the time those rules were introduced, but in this new era I can't blame him for being careful. He stumbled in such a way that could've doomed this relationship to one date, but he may have spent time reading up on this. Ruby doesn't seem to desire him and maybe he's reading that and thinks it's best to let her decide what she wants to do. It's a reasonable conclusion since she never pictures herself with any man. It's always a yaoi fantasy. Now Andy couldn't know that part, but if she isn't exhibiting other clues that she's sexually interested it's understandable that he might think she's not.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It’s hard to say how much subtlety we can credit Andy with, but do we have any reason to assume that he’s a graduate? No offence to lifeguards, but is that a graduate job? Frankly, he doesn’t come across as exactly an intellectual. But it’s hard to say.

(In this case, it’s possible that he was, simply, joking. Dillon has suddenly developed the basic wit to do so, and his line would look like mild teasing from some people.)
---------
Spidrift

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

I.....really forgot how much she grated on my nerves.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

You and me, crimsontearz...

Anyway, "blobs of fat"? Way to ruin boobs forever, Dillon.

*watches "Adrift" with Shailene Woodley*

Okay, maybe not ruined forever :ymdaydream:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)